Thread: GPS maps for AZ

mtbr member

GPS maps for AZ

I am new to the GPS thing and I am trying to make a route. I have gotten some files from here but I would like to piece parts together but I have not bought any map software yet. I can open others in base camp but it is not showing the actual trail, just the route. I would like a map that has lots of the trails so I can put my route together etc. I started messing with google earth and that is nice but not sure how it plays with the gps for importing segments. I see Garmin has maps for regions but I am not sure how detailed that is. What do I need?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Topofusion is my go-to program for creating routes. Combine GPX tracks, draw in connectors and merge them together. Free demo version gives you all the features to get your feet wet.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

My other ride is your mom
    Schillingsworth....I think he is also referring to actual maps to use on a GPS. To the OP, forget about the maps that Garmin makes....get them for free at gpsfiledepot.com. You can get a USGS quad (7.5') overlay for your GPS (depending on your model), which allows you to navigate on the fly overland much like a paper map, but in concert with a track you've drawn in from Topofusion, follow allong your preplanned route.

To your point regarding the trails....a lot of what you ride will not show up on that map overlay....that's just the way it is....USGS does not map mountain bike trails. This is why you need to start a collection of gpx (file name format for gps) tracks for stuff you have ridden and or stuff that folks give you that you will be riding...or as the response above has indicated, stuff you draw in pre-ride and go explore with.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Ah yes, Maad. I get a bit TF crazy sometimes. I loaded tons of topo maps onto my Edge from gpsfiledepot, great stuff. I tend to forget that I had to do that step of the process.

Have you checked out the new map layer in TF? Juicytrails? It seems to be another one of the those online trail resource sites that are community populated/reviewed/rated, but now you can see some trails on TF. Similar to the mountainbikeproject, skidmap, etc. it's a work in progress. That's how I stumbled upon the Navajo Trail up on the Kaibab, I'm anxious to see how that pans out in a couple of weeks.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth