Thread: Gps Ii

mtbr member

Gps Ii

I didn't want to hijack Truckee Trash's thread...
    I have also been looking for a method to track rides BUT...
    I have no interest in where I'm going before hand. I am interested in mapping post ride. I think that Google Earth is more that sufficient for my mapping purposes. Mapmyride.com is a pain in the butt when trying to map trail rides of any length. I want to spend only the amount of $$$ needed for the purpose. I'm not a gadget freak so I have no need to use it during the ride. I have been looking at data loggers and I think that those that advertise they work with Google Earth should do the trick. I have written to Garmin, Delorme, Magellan, and Sanav (still waiting to hear back from Sanav). Surprise surprise, they all think that the only one that will do what I need it to do is their most expensive, fancy bells and whistles laden, model. Does anyone know about data loggers? I ride locally so I don't have to deal with "dense" forest cover. I just want to throw the receiver into a seat bag or Camelback and then download the data when I get back. Does anyone know anything about data loggers? Here are a couple of examples of what I'm talking about:

http://www.navroute.com/products/gt-600bt/index.html
    http://www.sanav.com/gps_loggers/gl-50BT.htm
    http://www.globalsat.com.tw/eng/prod...l_00000090.htm

Any thoughts?
    Fear can be your greatest ally or your biggest nemesis.

Crash = Try

rage

mtbr member
    It's probably cheaper to just pick up an Edge 205. That's what I did. And as a bonus, it's meant for bikes.

I paid $100 bucks for mine, but you can find them cheaper now (Example).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlintPaper
    It's probably cheaper to just pick up an Edge 205.
    I really don't want to mount this on my bike. How has your experience been with the receiver? Do you mount it or do you just toss it into your pack?
    Fear can be your greatest ally or your biggest nemesis.

Crash = Try

rage

fear this
    I've used an older Garmin eTrex Summit for exactly your described purpose. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the new units, but tracks movement and generates tracks, datalogs elevation, position, speed, heading, etc. at each point. It also has an electronic compass and barometer which make it a very valuable navigation tool offroad.
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie, some goodies to lighten 'er up

mtbr member
    I will do either. My experience with it has been mixed, but that is because I'm waiting on Garmin to replace a bad unit.

I know a handful of other people who have one and none of them have complaints. It works well at what it does and can be ignored in your bag if you just want to track. It's also nice to be able to mark the trailhead on the device and not have to worry about getting lost. I've never needed it to help me back to the car, but it's still comforting.

The best thing about riding with it on the bars at this time of year is that it is an accurate clock that can also display the sunrise/sunset times. It really helps to know if I have time to do another lap in T100 when the current and sunset time are sitting on the bars staring at me (yes, I am so dependent on technology that I won't even try to look at the sky and make the judgment myself).