Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: freeskier46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,683

    Good job! Gotta Trail Monkey on your back?? Just kick one off??

    Today was a great day to be out on the trails. Fantastic weather, but I only had my usual 40 minute window between jobs. So, I thought today would be a good day to do a lap up Javelina at S.Mtn. This climb has been my personal nemesis for quite some time. I could never piece the perfect ride together, best I had done was one dab up near the home stretch a few months ago.

    Today was the day. I was determined to have a good ride up the canyon, left it in the middle ring and paced it all the way to the top. Finally, no stops, no dabs. Punch the card.

    So, what's the next personal challenge? I don't know, maybe a clean climb up Bees Knees??

    What are some of your trail challenges? Doesn't have to be a climb, could be a tech feature that has eluded you, I have plenty of those as well. If it's a feature, post a pic. I've never been able to clean that first step-up going up National, maybe a session is in order.

    Douger-1's post about the Pass Mtn. climb is a great example as well.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

  2. #2
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,640
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Today was a great day to be out on the trails. Fantastic weather, but I only had my usual 40 minute window between jobs. So, I thought today would be a good day to do a lap up Javelina at S.Mtn. This climb has been my personal nemesis for quite some time. I could never piece the perfect ride together, best I had done was one dab up near the home stretch a few months ago.

    Today was the day. I was determined to have a good ride up the canyon, left it in the middle ring and paced it all the way to the top. Finally, no stops, no dabs. Punch the card.

    So, what's the next personal challenge? I don't know, maybe a clean climb up Bees Knees??

    What are some of your trail challenges? Doesn't have to be a climb, could be a tech feature that has eluded you, I have plenty of those as well. If it's a feature, post a pic. I've never been able to clean that first step-up going up National, maybe a session is in order.

    Douger-1's post about the Pass Mtn. climb is a great example as well.
    well done John. I'd be happy to get my hours in any given week without it including time on the trainer. If anyone wants to borrow a couple little girls, kick the tires and take em for a test ride, send me a PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,090
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    If anyone wants to borrow a couple little girls, kick the tires and take em for a test ride, send me a PM.
    I'll take your 2 if you take my 3

    To the OP, nice job. It's always nice nice to beat a demon.
    Mine is a little stretch of T100 just west of 7th street. Hard rocky left hand turn.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I'll take your 2 if you take my 3

    Mine is a little stretch of T100 just west of 7th street. Hard rocky left hand turn.
    Oooh, I think I know exactly which one your talking about. That one gets me too.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,090
    I meant just east but I know you know what I'm talking about. It's a toughie!
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    174
    Yup, on the true T100 trail. You're actually headed kind of south when you get up to it. The trail leading up to that got more challenging too with the big storms we had. Really loosened it up although it's starting to get a line burned in. Good stuff!!!

  7. #7
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,426
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Mine is a little stretch of T100 just eastof 7th street. Hard rocky left hand turn.
    Yep, still haven't pieced that whole climb together. I've made it from the bottom of that stretch where you turn right to stay on T100 to about 20' past that turn but a pedal strike at the wrong spot sent my feet to the ground. So, I'm about 98% clean on it

    One day I'd like to not only complete that section but follow it through that ravine and then up that other side. Knocking that whole section out without stopping would be sweet.

    Others:
    Irregular Stairs. I've made them many times but it usually takes me 3+ tries. Some days I don't make it and some days I don't even try. Just this last time, though, I cleaned them first shot. When I can do that regularly I'll consider it checked off.

    Triangle High Line East to West. Never even come close to even getting on that first rock let alone cleaning the whole way.

    Disneyland UP. Actually, never tried it but I'd like to.

    Probably plenty more but can't think of them...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,090
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Disneyland UP. Actually, never tried it but I'd like to.
    IMPOSSIBLE!!!!
    Last group ride I went on, someone did a prety good job, but it got so steep that they did a backflip while still clicked in. It was awesome to witness. They were wearing a go-pro on their helmet, but refused to share the video.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

  9. #9
    Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Reputation: Dag Nabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,860
    Congrats on cleaning Javelina! I forgot to congratulate you as I was mystified by my own celebrity yesterday. . So may places to slip up on that climb.

    Now I'd like to get through Upper Cheesegrater clean, however possible that may be. The bottom third on the way to VOAZ just gets ugly. I was pretty happy with my last attempt, but might want to think about some armor for the last bit. Those rocks look really blood thirsty.

    I think I'm still on the hook for a no dab VOAZ climb too. At least Irregular is in the books!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

  10. #10
    K3N
    K3N is offline
    Certified slacker
    Reputation: K3N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    201
    Nice work! I had a one stop up bees knees, I think I may have been having a heart attack, that ones my next goal.

    Where is this Disneyland trail?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,090
    PMP east of cave creek road.
    I'm sure there is someone somewhere that could somehow climb it someday.
    I'd buy that man a beer.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

  12. #12
    Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Reputation: Dag Nabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    PMP east of cave creek road.
    I'm sure there is someone somewhere that could somehow climb it someday.
    I'd buy that man a beer.
    Is this on T100 proper? That's about the worst climb I can think of over there. Over a decade, I've thought Disneyland has been in at least five different locations.....
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,090
    I've always thought if it as T100 proper. It's the big hill w/ a rusty telephone pole at the top of it. Lots of fun going down East to West.

    Google maps shows T100 going a little further south to what I've always heard as 'shale hill'.
    I think widowmaker is the trail name that's on every mountain.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

  14. #14
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,426
    Disneyland is T100 proper. If you go the "normal" route from Cave Creek heading W to E around the north side of the mountain you are on 100A. Shale Hill is not designated with a number but just south of there.

  15. #15
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,395
    I got a Monkey....it's called the 300........

    Don't poke it....it's chilly one year....and hellfire the next.......

    (for you irregulars....it's not a move...its a'cupla'days)

  16. #16
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: freeskier46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I got a Monkey....it's called the 300........

    Don't poke it....it's chilly one year....and hellfire the next.......

    (for you irregulars....it's not a move...its a'cupla'days)
    I hear ya on that one!! I will NOT be denied in 2013!! (unless the mtb lords have something to say) I'm just glad I was able to complete a multi-day stage race on the Coco250.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

  17. #17
    Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Reputation: Dag Nabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I hear ya on that one!! I will NOT be denied in 2013!! (unless the mtb lords have something to say) I'm just glad I was able to complete a multi-day stage race on the Coco250.
    Yeah, I'd like to show up this year! The Coco is a great warm up for the 300. Talk about building confidence! I still need a seat pack myself.....

    As well, you can scratch VOAZ no dab off the Monkey List. Got it this morning.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tysonnemb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    778
    My goals seem to be all in the White Tanks. I want to do the full climb, without stopping, up Mesquite, then follow it up by cleaning Goat Camp on the way down. Oh how great I would feel if I could do both of those.

  19. #19
    I am the Tin Man!
    Reputation: grizzlyplumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    380
    Climb Cardiac at Hawes. I know lots of people have but not me.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.


    SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

    I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    My goals seem to be all in the White Tanks. I want to do the full climb, without stopping, up Mesquite, then follow it up by cleaning Goat Camp on the way down. Oh how great I would feel if I could do both of those.
    Good luck with that one! The bike that could make the climb would never make the descent and vice versa...I'd just like to make the climb...there are a couple obstacles that get me everytime...and I hate sessioning. I don't know anybody that has claimed to clean Mesquite all the way up...but I think it can be done.

  21. #21
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,426
    Baby Drop... CHECK.

    Baby Drop from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.



    Struggled with keeping my feet on the pedals on this drop. It was suggested that my "starter" shoes and pedals needed an upgrade to real shoes so I got a pair of 510s and Spank Spike pedals several months ago. Just made it back out to the Baby Drop this afternoon and landed it with little problem.

    I won't say it felt great but I didn't fall down

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,090
    Doesn't look to baby to me. More like 3 foot drop.
    Nice job
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

  23. #23
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,426
    My slow roll off the ledge is probablya 3-4' drop. If you have the balls and the speed you can make it as big as you'd like...

  24. #24
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: freeskier46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,683
    Nice job Mike!! Looks good to me.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

  25. #25
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,426

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •