parenting for gnarness

got Hammerschmidt?

opinions please? looks intriguing.

I am the Tin Man!
    Linky? Maybe I wanna get it but dont know what it is.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    Linky? Maybe I wanna get it but dont know what it is.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Truvati...view-2008.html

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I ran one for awhile (maybe 6-8 months) on my old EG. I'm mostly positive about it on certain bikes.

The plus: Cool technology. Set up properly (faced tabs, etc.), mine was dead reliable. Instant shifts in any situation. Chainguide/tensioner and bash in one package and you can run a short rear der.

Minus: Bit heavy, bit expensive. Easy to set up badly. Some drag in overdrive (bit more than you'd get from a typical chainguide). Yes, you'll feel that drag.

My legs are really used to a 22-32 setup. With the 22-tooth ring installed on the Hammer, granny is just what you're used to. However, it has a 1.6:1 overdrive, which puts you at 36-ish in the "big" ring. That goofed up my pedalling and I never really got used to it.

That said, I'd run it again in certain situations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have installed many of these in the last two years for guys and shops and I really love the dam thing , two that I installed are on my ridding buddy's bikes and they work so good that it should be criminal .

I will have one on my next build , for an all mountain rider that really pounds his bike these things are really the ticket.

"No Clue Crew"

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I ran one for awhile (maybe 6-8 months) on my old EG. I'm mostly positive about it on certain bikes.

The plus: Cool technology. Set up properly (faced tabs, etc.), mine was dead reliable. Instant shifts in any situation. Chainguide/tensioner and bash in one package and you can run a short rear der.

Minus: Bit heavy, bit expensive. Easy to set up badly. Some drag in overdrive (bit more than you'd get from a typical chainguide). Yes, you'll feel that drag.

My legs are really used to a 22-32 setup. With the 22-tooth ring installed on the Hammer, granny is just what you're used to. However, it has a 1.6:1 overdrive, which puts you at 36-ish in the "big" ring. That goofed up my pedalling and I never really got used to it.

That said, I'd run it again in certain situations.
    Dion,

Which situations would you run the HS? Up and down National riding? I have a similar body acclimation to the 22-32 front rings. That 36 up front never felt right to me and I had to go back to the 22-32.

Bob

Bob

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Firebird?

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    opinions please? looks intriguing.
    Is it going on a Firebird? Mr Weagle has said the the HS and the DW link are not the perfect match. He designed the DW link to take advantage of the vertical movement of the chain line. Some of us won't notice the difference others will. YMMV.

Bob

Old-newbie
    I have them on 3 different bikes. They work great, especially for those changes in slope (down to up) where you need a big change in gearing fast. Shifts are instant, even when stopped.

They do require some maintenance. After about 200 hours I opened one up (requires a special tool) and did a clean/relube. Now it is dead quiet. I hadn't realized that it had gotten a bit noisy.

The best part is no FD!

I use Saint front shifters on all of mine.

The only issue is a lot of chain slap on my Giant Glory. I am using the 22t ring on that one. Without a bigger ring I can't shift the chain away from the stay when stomping downhill.

You should face the BB and the ISCG tabs before installing.

The unit is very compact. No ring sticking out to get bashed.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

parenting for gnarness
    thanks all for the opinions. I did a very quick comparison of the weight vs. cranks\guard\tensioner etc and its pretty comparable, but I totally get the idea of a big hunk of metal right in the center of your bike.

Blatant - nice write up. surprised that you didn't acclimate to the 36t front and just find a few gears that were your sweet spot, but good info to have thank you.

Bobo - a Bird is on my short list, not getting one of these would certainly bring down the price. thanks for the suggestion.