Wrench-O-Phile

Gooseberry and Hurricane Rim, UT pics

GF and I decided to squeeze in a trip to the Zion area one last time before the temps fell and the snow came. Just made it as snow was starting to fall coming back through Flag on the way home. Temps were brisk during the day and down right frigid at night but we survived... and so did the dog.

For those of you who have never been to Gooseberry Mesa we'd highly recommend the trip. Maybe 6.5 hours from Scottsdale depending on your route. We'd been before but had forgotten how fun the trails are.

DAY ONE...

View from camp:

Out on the trails. White dots mark the route just like SlickRock Trail in Moab:

Zion is the backdrop for most of the loops. Pretty amazing scenery:

One of the funner slickrock sections:

Some unique erosion:

The SouthRim trail gets edgy... but very rewarding:

Hidden Canyon is one of the better trails. Really tight in sections:

Window :

Last edited by Elvota; 11-11-2008 at 01:15 AM.
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

Wrench-O-Phile
    DAY TWO...

We headed down to Hurricane to try a trail we saw in Bike magazine. I thought it would be mostly double track or 2WD dirt road but we were both very happily surprised to complete the 20 mile loop with about 97% pure singletrack the entire way. There is even a downhill that must be 10 minutes long at full pedal. The trail is endless and never stops turning, carving and generally flowing it's way through the Utah desert.

We didn't take to many pics (too busy riding )

Sample of the single track:

It's really an amazing loop. Only one technical section to speak off but plenty of cliff hugging and vast views. Highly recommended. I have the GPS track. If anyone is interested just PM me and I can send it to you.

I dig junkyards, and there is even one that can be overlooked from the trail head. Never have been able to look at all that "treasure" from up high:

DAY THREE

We camped back at Gooseberry the next night and did a compressed loop of the trails due to gray skies and a wicked wind that was picking up. Went back through Zion on the way home to check out the views. Pretty amazing drive, even if you stay in the car. We did a short hike to overlook the canyon before leaving.

Sketchy bridge:

Root on the way:

View from the end:

Great trip overall. Feel like we did a lot with the limited time we had. I think the area is probably best enjoyed late October as we felt pretty lucky with the weather and temps this late in the year.

I think this part of Utah rivals Moab in many ways for riding and scenery. Plus the trails are empty so no traffic to worry about.
    Just keep pedaling...

I am Bob
    very nice! Need to make it there sometime.

mtbr member
    nice! we were up there last october and i can't wait to go again. the riding at gooseberry mesa alone is worth the trip.

Kathleen in AZ
    I have yet to make it to that area... maybe next year. Thanks for the pics!

You day 2 loop was likely Gould's Rim, JEM, and Hurricane Rim trails. XC ridin' doesn't get any better.

Excellent pics!

Goose is usually rideable year round. It gets snow, but usually doesn't keep it for long.

Wrench-O-Phile
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    nice! we were up there last october and i can't wait to go again. the riding at gooseberry mesa alone is worth the trip.
    Agreed. They did a great job on those trails. Seems that all of them work in either direction which is like double the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I have yet to make it to that area... maybe next year. Thanks for the pics!
    Seems like a great place to get a mixed group together. With Zion about 30 minutes away, some people can hike while others ride during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    You day 2 loop was likely Gould's Rim, JEM, and Hurricane Rim trails. XC ridin' doesn't get any better.
    Yup, that was the loop. They did a really good job linking all those together. Easy to find and a blast to ride.
    Just keep pedaling...

Pivotal figure
    Cool pics, glad the weather cooperated.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Little Creek

Next time you should try the loop at Little Creek Mountain, great flow. 15 miles from Gooseberry, finding it is tricky. Slickrock playground also, to the east.
    Love that camping area, was there 9 weeks ago.
    Been wanting to try JEM.
    agmtb

im4Gsus
    in '07 i rode gould's canyon, crossed the road to jem, then we did another trail along steep and long climbs but i don't know the name of that last trail.

does this look familiar? is it hurricane trail? i highlighted the route.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Wrench-O-Phile
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    Next time you should try the loop at Little Creek Mountain, great flow. 15 miles from Gooseberry, finding it is tricky. Slickrock playground also, to the east.
    Sounds cool. Would be nice to get even more options in the area. I'll hit you up for some details next time we take a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    in '07 i rode gould's canyon, crossed the road to jem, then we did another trail along steep and long climbs but i don't know the name of that last trail.

does this look familiar? is it hurricane trail? i highlighted the route.
    Hurricane Rim actually stays above the canyon in your pic. We saw that road/ trail/ canal below many times and wondered what that route would be like.
    Just keep pedaling...

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvota
    Hurricane Rim actually stays above the canyon in your pic. We saw that road/ trail/ canal below many times and wondered what that route would be like.
    it's all single track and very hard/technical in places. i was with a guided tour so i had no choice but to follow. staying on the top and doing the trail you did would've been so much better. i absolutely LOVED jem. gould was also fun and flowy.

thanks for the cool pics.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Wrench-O-Phile
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    it's all single track and very hard/technical in places. i was with a guided tour so i had no choice but to follow. staying on the top and doing the trail you did would've been so much better. i absolutely LOVED jem. gould was also fun and flowy.
    Interesting... we kept looking down and the trail did appear much less used. Good to know it was at least rideable. Well, most of it sounds like it was.

Definitely stay high on the rim next time you are there. The trail stays very similar in condition to what you have already ridden. There is one steep climb towards the end but that just leads to a really nice DH section back to the car.
    Just keep pedaling...

mtbr member
    what about these trails in early March...is it worth it or could there be snow? Not concerned for the colder temps, but no point in leaving AK for riding in snow...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm planning on being there about 3/8. It could be snow and in the teens or sunny and 70. Spring weather changes quickly in the Rockies. Spring storms will be windy. Gooseberry will be rideable most days and JEM easily in winter. If Goose is snowed in there are so many great trails around St. George at 2500' you will have plenty of great options.
    Gooseberry is at 5400' and Little Creek Mountain 6000'. Ride both.
    Check out utahmountainbiking.com and print some trail descriptions that interest you. Zen Trail is mucho climbing and technical. GO FOR IT! If it's storming you can always ski at Brianhead.
    agmtb