Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This thread has saved my thanksgiving weekend sanity; THANKS! Coming down from Co., staying at the Princess with the fam. super psyched to find that there is legit singletrack within a stones throw. I'll be at McDowells Fri. and Sat. if anyone wants to hook up for a ride and show an out-of-towner the goods I'd be happy to return the favor biking or skiing in the Telluride Co. area. PM me or look for a white SC Butcher on the trails.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
    This thread has saved my thanksgiving weekend sanity; THANKS! Coming down from Co., staying at the Princess with the fam. super psyched to find that there is legit singletrack within a stones throw. I'll be at McDowells Fri. and Sat. if anyone wants to hook up for a ride and show an out-of-towner the goods I'd be happy to return the favor biking or skiing in the Telluride Co. area. PM me or look for a white SC Butcher on the trails.
    will be busy with another ride on Friday, and not riding Sat, but too bad would love to get some beta on T-ride. Post up any questions and I'll try to help. Its barely 20 min to ride from the Princess (15 on my CX bike), worth it imo to not load your car etc.

74 & 29 pilot
    I can hook up and show ya some McDowell fun. I'm a slower climber, but love to bomb the downs. What kind of mileage are you looking to do on Friday?

EDIT: I just got done riding 14 miles and 1700+ feet of climbing so my legs need Friday off. Will be available Saturday.
    Last edited by MTB Pilot; 11-22-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks guys and happy thanksgiving! Just got to the princess, I think this may be my first non-thanksgiving ever, just a day in the car. Pilot, I'm thinking 2-3hr. rides both fri. and sat. (of course if I go longer and have some random new friend to blame it on...) . I'm guessing mornings are best. I'll PM ya a #/ e-mail.
    Slow up/bomb down works for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I am going to be staying with the wife and kids for a little mini vaction this weekend. Will be staying the Princess and I have been given the green light to 1 or 2 early morning rides.
    Thanks guys and happy thanksgiving! Just got to the princess, I think this may be my first non-thanksgiving ever, just a day in the car. Pilot, I'm thinking 2-3hr. rides both fri. and sat. (of course if I go longer and have some random new friend to blame it on...) . I'm guessing mornings are best. I'll PM ya a #/ e-mail.
    Slow up/bomb down works for me.
    JoePAz/Rtsideup...Good to have some fellow Mtbr's in the resort. I am the manager at the Princess resort but working tomorrow so I won't be able to ride. After your ride ask the team on the front driveway or at the Front Desk for Brent and I will come out and meet you.

I did the Gateway Access Loop up to Windgate Pass and then over to Bell Pass a couple weeks ago. If you ride before 10am you should be fine.

Rtsideup...Spent some time in Telluride this summer and enjoyed some of the sweet singletrack in your backyard (little dusty).

See how tomorrow goes and maybe we can get a ride in on Saturday AM.

Brent

mtbr member
    Brent, I was there this August. Not sure when I will be back, but if I will and bring the bike I will loop you up. Wife and kid love the pricess in summer. Great pool!
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Rtside up, windgate / bell is a lot go climbing. Quartz,taliesin,lost dog,ringtail is less climbing, but also a great ride. Lots do nice trails there, but no serious chunk or DH stuff.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Brent, I was there this August. Not sure when I will be back, but if I will and bring the bike I will loop you up. Wife and kid love the pricess in summer. Great pool!
    Great to hear. You should bring the kids by one night in December to see all the stuff we have going on including a new ice skating rink next to La Hacienda.

Sorry I missed you in August. If you are still in Anthem I am up your way every once in awhile riding Black Canyon and just recently discovered the Cave Creek Festival 24 mile loop which is one of my new favorite rides.

See you on the trails one of these days.

Brent

parenting for gnarness
    @rtsideup -- what did you wind up riding?

74 & 29 pilot
    I took him, or maybe he took me, from the Gateway TH up Desert Park to Wingate to Tom's Thumb to the top. Watched a Helo rescue and then headed down East End and up to Bell Pass. Then rocked it all the way back down to the TH. First time I've done that route since August, before I broke my collar bone, and man did that climbing kick my A$$! His thin aired CO a$$ had no problems We had a good time all in all: about 16 miles and 3200' of climbing and descending on my computer. Nice guy and great rider

P.S. I'm trying to embed the ride data from the Garmin Connect site, but keep failing. Anybody know how to do this???!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good Trails off McDowells - Gateway TH?-img_2331-copy.jpg  

Good Trails off McDowells - Gateway TH?-img_2339-copy.jpg  

Good Trails off McDowells - Gateway TH?-img_2349-copy.jpg  

Good Trails off McDowells - Gateway TH?-img_2357-copy.jpg  

Last edited by MTB Pilot; 11-24-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    I just rode this trail yesterday for the first time. Awesome time! 20 miles and over 3k of climbing. Great views and perfect weather! I'll be back!

@MTB Pilot: If you make the ride shareable and post the URL (link) from the Garmin Connect site, it should show up in the post...
    -boom

Give it a crank
    Sounds like a sweet ride you guys had, nice job! How was East End riding down?

If Garmin Connect fails to embed, you can always post a link to your ride. Strava is where it's at though, try it.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    @MTB Pilot: If you make the ride shareable and post the URL (link) from the Garmin Connect site, it should show up in the post...
    Yeah, been trying that, but what do you put the link in to get it to show up in the post, not just a link?

AHHHH, GOT IT!

MTBP

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just got home. Awesome weekend! Big morning rides followed by afternoon pool time/beers with the fam. turns out to be a great way to spend a long weekend. Fri. I rode solo; from the princess, desert park, down windgate, gateway loop saddle, bell, paradise, quartz. At this point I felt like a little more so I went back up quartz to taliesin, westworld, back to the princess. 2.5hrs ish. Great ride, despite LOTS of hiker traffic on the windgate, gateway, bell part. On sat. I was afraid that Pilot was going to try and kill me so I opted to drive to the trail head. The pace he set up desert park made me think that I was about to get my ass handed to me, but when the going got steep on toms thumb, the thick, oxygen rich air allowed me slightly more bike than hike. The descent down east end was fun, loose in places with just enough exposure to keep me slightly puckered. The last climb to bell pass was hot, but the well earned down was worth the wait; point and shoot, dodge the foot traffic, all the way back to gateway. Big props to Pilot for showing an out of towner the goods! Thanks man!

parenting for gnarness
    Just got home. Awesome weekend! Big morning rides followed by afternoon pool time/beers with the fam. turns out to be a great way to spend a long weekend. Fri. I rode solo; from the princess, desert park, down windgate, gateway loop saddle, bell, paradise, quartz. At this point I felt like a little more so I went back up quartz to taliesin, westworld, back to the princess. 2.5hrs ish. Great ride, despite LOTS of hiker traffic on the windgate, gateway, bell part. On sat. I was afraid that Pilot was going to try and kill me so I opted to drive to the trail head. The pace he set up desert park made me think that I was about to get my ass handed to me, but when the going got steep on toms thumb, the thick, oxygen rich air allowed me slightly more bike than hike. The descent down east end was fun, loose in places with just enough exposure to keep me slightly puckered. The last climb to bell pass was hot, but the well earned down was worth the wait; point and shoot, dodge the foot traffic, all the way back to gateway. Big props to Pilot for showing an out of towner the goods! Thanks man!
    awesome, you got 2 great routes in the N. McDs.

livin' the dream......
    I did the same loop later in the day on saturday, East End was torn up bad compared to the last time I rode it.
    There is one tight turn where the trail is pretty narrow, maybe half way down that if you fall, you will be in serious trouble. I stopped to scope it, you probably have two tumbles before you are airborne for 20 - 30 feet, landing on some big rocks, then more tumbling down hill. One would probably travel about 75 feet total before you were at the bottom!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    I can hook up and show ya some McDowell fun. I'm a slower climber, but love to bomb the downs. What kind of mileage are you looking to do on Friday?

EDIT: I just got done riding 14 miles and 1700+ feet of climbing so my legs need Friday off. Will be available Saturday.
    Yeah you feel that ride, good job. Nice helo pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just a pic. of the pilot topping out on Toms thumb.
    Good Trails off McDowells - Gateway TH?-img_0224.jpg
    Thanks again!

74 & 29 pilot
    GOOD, you didn't catch me with my tongue dragging on the ground and crying
    MTBP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2