Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good night ride trail for a noob??

Ok so after years of "maybe we should get some lights" me and my riding buddy finally pulled the trigger on a couple niterider lumina 650's. tried riding during the day earlier this week and the heat flat out kicked my ass. And I'm not about to lose all the gains I've made this season by skipping 3-4 months of saddle time. Soooo, time to saddle up in the dark. Any suggestions for a night noob on a trail to break in the lights? North/northwest valley area would be nice if possible. Something fun but at the same time I don't wanna run home with my soiled pantalones and burry my light so it will never be seen again, so nothing too scary either. Deems? White tanks? Sonoran? Trail 100? Finns? Whatcha think? Tell me about the first night ride you ever made, how was it? Also, should I bring extra undies due to the fact that the rattlesnakes will be out in force, and harder to see!!? 😁 Thanks for the info in advance folks. And if anyone on here is looking for another night riding partner, I got a couple..

mtbr member

Oh and I should make it clear I'm not a noob (still slow though) I'm just a noob at night riding

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I would be in for joining you guys... I myself am relatively a noob night rider having only done deems a few times (only because I live by it)... Open to any of the places you suggested... Sonoran north might be ideal as the "parking lot" doesn't close? Also pretty tame

I am Walt

Sonoran North would be great for some initial night rides.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

legal, easy, and lots of other folks around to help out:

Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    I would suggest riding a trail you have ridden many times and know well. Another good option is to do a pre-dawn out and back ride where half is I the dark and the other half is after sunrise. Another good option is to do a night ride when there is a full moon.

I find other night riders more of an issue than any wildlife...

Bob

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    I find other night riders more of an issue than any wildlife...
    Why? I too am thinking about starting night riding this year... Why would other night riders be "an issue"? Bright lights coming at you and blinding you?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I night ride Deem and Sonoran primarily. That being said, even though I live right next to Deem, I tend to bypass it and ride the CAP and bypass over I-17 and hit Sonoran. The main reason is because I just get to dang paranoid at Deem. It is significantly rockier than Sonoran and every rock/shadow looks like a snake to me. So I avoid it and hit Sonoran which has zero rocks and therefore less shadows/phantom snakes haha.

mtbr member

Phat- are you running a light on your helmet? I found the same issue until I did.

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Phat- are you running a light on your helmet? I found the same issue until I did.
    Yeah I am...however my helmet light is on the fritz and is much dimmer than it should be. Certainly that is part of the problem. Still - much easier to run into a snake with little warning at Deem as opposed to Sonoran IMO. More nooks and crannies to hide behind/under etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm the opposite, more paranoid at Sonoran because it feels less urban. Saw an owl, two coyote pups and a couple rats last night. No snakes so far! Night riding is so cool, it's extremely liberating. Everyone else is inside and it's just you and the snakes, owls, coyotes, and javelina. It almost feels like I'm getting away with something, like you're in on a secret. I highly recommend it.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by cm374 View Post
    I'm the opposite, more paranoid at Sonoran because it feels less urban. Saw an owl, two coyote pups and a couple rats last night. No snakes so far! Night riding is so cool, it's extremely liberating. Everyone else is inside and it's just you and the snakes, owls, coyotes, and javelina. It almost feels like I'm getting away with something, like you're in on a secret. I highly recommend it.
    Bring a beer (preferably, an oil can) for the top of the biggest climb on your night ride, and it's even better!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    FINS is great for night riding. That being said, FINS is the only place I have ever ridden at night. There is a group that rides Thursday night out there, very cool people. I haven't in a while due to child and wife work schedule, and I miss it. WHite Tanks, I'd like to know if people ride there at night, as I ride there from my house.

Night riding is amazing, especially with beer, as waltaz stated.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    legal, easy, and lots of other folks around to help out:

Best ever for a night noob and there is a ride this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sonoran - especially North. Easy wide, buff trails. No big rocks to smash your face on (unlike Deems). The view are spectacular at night.

meow
    McDowell Regional Park has a summer night ride series on Pemberton, the next ride is this Saturday 6/8:

Pemberton is super easy, a fun vibe with lots of other riders.

A plethora of pinatas
    +1 on the MMP Night Ride Series on Pemberton. There is one this Sat night and the complete series schedule can be found at McDowell Mtn Park Summer Night Ride Series 2013 Schedule
    Marty

mtbr member
    Phoenix Sonoran North or South.... I ride PSP South all the time in the dark, it's perfect for that... But the north is good too...

Deems is good but a bit more techy than PSP... Also Cave Creek Park is really good for night riding...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Why? I too am thinking about starting night riding this year... Why would other night riders be "an issue"? Bright lights coming at you and blinding you?
    Oncoming lights are tough to judge the distance that you actually are from the other riders or if they are moving at all. Leads to some circumstances where both groups stop to wait for the other and slows down the ride. Pretty minor and mostly on busy trails like DC. Animal interaction is almost nil. Rattlesnakes are exciting at night though!

Get lights and night ride it is alot of fun. Ride a trail that you know well as it makes things much easier. Handlebar and head lamp is the best combination.

Bob

mtbr member

Wow thanks for all the great info!! When you say Sonoran "north" are you talking about the trails by fireside like Dixie mine or do you mean the new trails that opened off of carefree highway? That McDowell ride looks fun too, ordered my lights last night so if they get to my door by Friday I think ill give it a shot.. Just gotta order some thigh high snake boots 😁

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes, Sonoran North refers to the trails between Carefree highway and dove valley road/sonoran blvd. Sonoran South is the stuff between Sonoran Desert Drive and Jomax.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Yes, Sonoran North refers to the trails between Carefree highway and dove valley road/sonoran blvd. Sonoran South is the stuff between Sonoran Desert Drive and Jomax.
    Got it, thanks for the clarification. I'm itching to try out the north stuff!

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Just gotta order some thigh high snake boots 😁
    Snakes are not out at night.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Snakes are not out at night.
    Really? I've heard they are way more active. No worries, I'm only fooling around with all the boot chat, I don't bug the snakes so they don't bug me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast