Got a suspension fork

Good local rides for easing into a rigid SS?

I'm stoked, I've got a new rigid 29er SS coming in hopefully next week. This is my first singlespeed mountain bike, and I haven't ridden a rigid bike since 1993 when I put a Rockshox Mag 21 on my KHS Montana Descent.

Even though I'll be running pretty big tires on the rigid 29er, Specialized Purgatory Control 2.4" up front, and a Specialized Captain Control 2.2" in the rear. I think it would be wise to ease into this and see how I take to it. I'm a bit afraid of a bone jarring experience if try riding on the same trails I normally ride on my Hei Hei 2-9.

Looking for some suggestions on local Phoenix area rides that may ease me into the rigid mtb experience all over again. I normally ride PMP, specifically DD, McDowell Sonoran, SoMo, once in a blue moon BCT.

Thanks!
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

No Clue Crew
    You probably know the west side of PMP isn't as brutal as the east side. T100 from 7th Ave to Cave Creek is pretty tame...

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    You're gonna love it. I just got a Monocog 29er about 6 weeks ago and the FS 26er was left hanging on the garage wall. The ride is a bit jarring but still smoother than you think it'd be. Steel frame, 30 psi in the tires and loose limbs work very well together. The rigid frame makes you feel stuck to the trail, compared to the FS, which is like riding puffy clouds. I really enjoy it. Lots of power transfer to the ground too. Makes me feel like I'm really eating up the trail. Stand and pound and it'll scoot up some hills. Just got bar ends and wish I'd have got them sooner. Big help climbing, standing up.

DC is really good as well as the east loops at SoMo. Hawes is good times (smooth and with some good climbs) and last week at PMP along 100 and 8, I had nothing but smiles (I was looking for 1a). Rode Pemberton at night and didn't stop the whole way around as the Cog ate up the trail there. Others I want to try becasue I think they'd be killer on a SS are McDowell comp loops, FINS, Estrella and the MSP, probably start at Lost Dog/Gateway areas. I'm running 2.3 Exiwolfs and they do a good job of taking some of the abuse. It won't be as bad as you think. 6 weeks later and I still have bedroom eyes for it.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    You're gonna love it. I just got a Monocog 29er about 6 weeks ago and the FS 26er was left hanging on the garage wall. The ride is a bit jarring but still smoother than you think it'd be. Steel frame, 30 psi in the tires and loose limbs work very well together. The rigid frame makes you feel stuck to the trail, compared to the FS, which is like riding puffy clouds. I really enjoy it. Lots of power transfer to the ground too. Makes me feel like I'm really eating up the trail. Stand and pound and it'll scoot up some hills. Just got bar ends and wish I'd have got them sooner. Big help climbing, standing up.

DC is really good as well as the east loops at SoMo. Hawes is good times (smooth and with some good climbs) and last week at PMP along 100 and 8, I had nothing but smiles (I was looking for 1a). Rode Pemberton at night and didn't stop the whole way around as the Cog ate up the trail there. Others I want to try becasue I think they'd be killer on a SS are McDowell comp loops, FINS, Estrella and the MSP, probably start at Lost Dog/Gateway areas. I'm running 2.3 Exiwolfs and they do a good job of taking some of the abuse. It won't be as bad as you think. 6 weeks later and I still have bedroom eyes for it.
    Great to hear!

I'll be running a set of Bontrager Duster SS tubeless wheels, and the 2Bliss Specialized so I'm looking to run about 27psi in the rear and maybe down to 25 in the front - that should help a little too.

Keep hearing about Pemberton but never rode it, isn't there a big and a shorter loop there? is it the longer loop you're referring to?

Happy to show you 1A if you're up for an early ride tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    Great to hear!

I'll be running a set of Bontrager Duster SS tubeless wheels, and the 2Bliss Specialized so I'm looking to run about 27psi in the rear and maybe down to 25 in the front - that should help a little too.

Keep hearing about Pemberton but never rode it, isn't there a big and a shorter loop there? is it the longer loop you're referring to?

Pemberton is fairly flat, and long: 15 miles. It would be ideal for your first go around on the bike. There are also the Sport and Long race loops, but those are comparable to most of PMP.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

Let's to it. Got a friend that just moved over there near the 40th st. trailhead. We were planning on starting from there, 6am. I'll bring the SS. Whatchya think?

mtbr member
    Wow, you brought back some old memories with the Mag21 comment. I remember my first mountain bike that I bought new in 1992, it was a Specialized M2 with a Rockshox M20, which was the first Rockshox I believe, it had no rebound at all. I still have it hanging in my shed, sorry to go off topic. I think trail 100 is perfect for the single speed, plus your right in town, which I like, but it just flows well, especially between Cave Creek road to Dreamy Draw. Pima and Dynamite under the power lines flows well for a single speed too.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    Let's to it. Got a friend that just moved over there near the 40th st. trailhead. We were planning on starting from there, 6am. I'll bring the SS. Whatchya think?
    Ooh that's a long haul for me to make it by 6am but I'll try.

My other ride is your mom
    Hawes....my 1st experience with a SS was out there and it was plenty fun.....

mtbr member
    I second Hawes... I just did my first single speed ride out there last week as well. Anything at MMP since it's nice and smooth. DC (east of water tower) is fun but can be a bit jarring since it has more rocks. San Tan if you are close but might now be worth the drive.

mtbr member

Don't forget Usery

The lower trails at usery are super smooth and fast, I always thought that they would be cool for a SS bike. It's really flat though.
    Check my pulse...

banned
    National

mtbr member
    I'm stoked, I've got a new rigid 29er SS coming in hopefully next week. This is my first singlespeed mountain bike, and I haven't ridden a rigid bike since 1993 when I put a Rockshox Mag 21 on my KHS Montana Descent.

Even though I'll be running pretty big tires on the rigid 29er, Specialized Purgatory Control 2.4" up front, and a Specialized Captain Control 2.2" in the rear. I think it would be wise to ease into this and see how I take to it. I'm a bit afraid of a bone jarring experience if try riding on the same trails I normally ride on my Hei Hei 2-9.

Looking for some suggestions on local Phoenix area rides that may ease me into the rigid mtb experience all over again. I normally ride PMP, specifically DD, McDowell Sonoran, SoMo, once in a blue moon BCT.

Thanks!
    Good tire choice. I have gone back from Spec tires on the front to the Weirwolf. Been wanting to try the Purg but was worried might be a little chunky.

Ive ridden most of the trails you mentioned and I have found everything to be fine other than the competitive loops at McDowell. I raced rigid their in January and it kicked my arse! Some of the drops into the washes and the ride along the ridgeline suck. I will be putting on my Reba thats collecting dust in the garage for the upcoming DCB series. But will go back to rigid for Dawn to Dusk.

Other than the first part of National, the upper section, Mormon and Geronimo are all very rideable on the rigid. You just cant bomb along like everyone else!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahava rider
    Wow, you brought back some old memories with the Mag21 comment. I remember my first mountain bike that I bought new in 1992, it was a Specialized M2 with a Rockshox M20, which was the first Rockshox I believe, it had no rebound at all. I still have it hanging in my shed, sorry to go off topic. I think trail 100 is perfect for the single speed, plus your right in town, which I like, but it just flows well, especially between Cave Creek road to Dreamy Draw. Pima and Dynamite under the power lines flows well for a single speed too.
    Pretty sure the first Rockshox was the RS1. Not only that, but it also had a damper, open-bath style like the very first Marzocchis (XC-series, etc). The Mag20 came later, and also had a damper.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Pretty sure the first Rockshox was the RS1. Not only that, but it also had a damper, open-bath style like the very first Marzocchis (XC-series, etc). The Mag20 came later, and also had a damper.
    When the Mag21 came out a few years after the M20, it was definitly an improvement over the M20. The M21 had far better rebound and damping characteristics then the M20 fork. I remember back when the Rockshox M20 came out it was all the rage, but really that fork was terribly slow when rebounding, looking back it was really pretty crappy, just my two cents.

Ooh that's a long haul for me to make it by 6am but I'll try.
    Thanks for making it out. Really good ride this morning. Perfect for The SS. Irregular was quite the treat. Can't wait to make it back out over there. Hit me up when you get the SS.

aka Diesel
    +1 on Hawes. Very SS and Rigid friendly for the most part. It's all about grip, so definitely pay attn to your tire choice. I run a Suguaro 2.2 on the back, which is perfectly grippy. Of course, I've converted to a new bike (2011 Specialized SS 29er) with a susp fork, so I have retired from the world of rigid, but in the words of 38. Special, "Just hold on loosely, but don't let go... if you cling too tightly... you're gonna lose control". Have fun! See you on the trails.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)