Kathleen in AZ

Good fun in Casa Grande

I was a bit sceptical as I drove down I-10 this afternoon for the 1:30 meet time. It was still darn cold outside, the skies were dark, and there was rain spatter on my windshield. But on I drove and thank goodness because I was met with a great tour of some really awesome trails with fun peeps!! Thanks so much to cgcharlie for setting up the ride and to Phil for leading the bunch of Phx folks around the trails. These guys have hand-built a beautiful set of trails on the mtn range just SE of the I-10/I-8 junction. Today we linked together about 12 miles of trail that were obviously built by mountain bikers.... fun techy sections, perfect switchbacks, twisty fun thru washes and cacti gardens, some steep climbs and fun descents. All trails are patched onto this little bump of a mountain range... I guess that Phil and Charlie have been instrumental on building and maintaining the trails and their passion shows.

Here are some photos, starting with the obligatory group shot. From L to R: Me, CactusJoe (Brian), Congoman (Bob), Solorider (Sean), Star. Then are the Casa Grandites Jamie (?), Phil, Charle, and Mrs. Charlie. Please forgive me all name errors...

I certainly hope to do these trails again soon!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kathleen in AZ

more pics...

The sun came out for a short spell, and with it we had a beautiful rainbow....

mtbr member

more from the cg ride

This ride was great! awesome day. Hats off to Phil and Charile for excellent XC trail building!

mtbr member

a few more

when I got back from the facilities brian had grownd corn for some home made trail tortillas!

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Aww man, looks like I missed an awesome ride! I told ya these were some good trails!! Glad to see you all had a good time.
    Last edited by AZSunGod; 12-17-2006 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the great comments. Sorry I had to bail earlier than planned but Mrs. wasn't feeling to well. Enjoyed meeting all and glad you enjoyed. Welcome back anytime!

Low speed, High Drag
    I too, regret not being able to make it down there. Next time, I'm in, for sure.

Looks like a fun place to ride, with some nice trails. Good job, on the trail building.

Large wheels & one gear
    Well dang! The secret is out. Those CG trails are really good ! I know Charlie has really spent some time maintaining them as well as laying new ones down. He and Phil have done a great job. The scenery is real nice out there also. Sounds like you all had a great ride.
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Great trail system, amazing how much work has been put in. Reminds me of the competitive loops in the valley but more technical in parts. Overall the route we took has a great flow to it. Definately worth the trip.

Oh, and nice new bike Bob.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Quote Originally Posted by Konapdlr
    Well dang! The secret is out. Those CG trails are really good ! I know Charlie has really spent some time maintaining them as well as laying new ones down. He and Phil have done a great job. The scenery is real nice out there also. Sounds like you all had a great ride.
    No Kidding, now the trails are gonna be crowded! It would be cool to see more riders out here on a regular basis.

Ridin' Dirty
    Did you guys/gals do the north side and up and over the saddle to the south side? or did you go around the east side over to the south side?

Looks like y'all had a nice ride on phil's/charlie's hidden gem
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgrafk
    Did you guys/gals do the north side and up and over the saddle to the south side? or did you go around the east side over to the south side?

This is solorider's map from another post. looks like we did the south and east trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgrafk

It was the upper part of the north side out, the east link-up trail, and looking at the map of the ride and the photos, it looks like the main part of the south trails including a newer return route back to the east link.
    Saving the rest of the north trail for another trip.

mtbr member
    Anyone got directions? I would love to try this one out on my own.

Ridin' Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by mhs_mtnman623
    Anyone got directions? I would love to try this one out on my own.
    I-10 south.
    Exit on Jimmy Kerr blvd.
    Turn right onto Jimmy Kerr and go a mile or two until you reach Peart.
    Turn left (south) onto Peart, keep going you'll go under I-8 then the road ends shortly after, park at the dirt lot at the end, can't miss it.

When you get on your bike, go down the road a tad and start riding the fireroad that parallels I-8. Keep looking to your right for the thin single track. Thats the north trail but if you keep riding it, it will lead you to a saddle the connects to the south trail.
    As AZSunGod suggested, its best to go there with someone who knows the trail or else you'll probably miss the entry to the north and south trail. Also check the Trail Reviews there is some more direction in there
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    Tank

http://www.tank69.com
    Tank's Personal Web Page

http://www.extremephotoaz.com
    You capture the action, we'll capture the memories!