Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Good bike shop Scottsdale/Fountain Hills area

Hi All,

I just moved to the border of Scottsdale and Fountain Hills. I seem to be surrounded by excellent riding areas and am considering a bike. Honestly I don't even know what kind yet but I think a mountain bike and there must be some trails around here somewhere.

I am NOT a handy man type and would prefer having a professional assist in maintenance and selection of a bike. In other words I want someone else to have the knowledge to start me in the right direction and not rip me off in the process. I'm not looking for the cheapest in town. Nor do I need a bike with unobtanium parts that costs $7000.

I also don't like driving much so if a decent bike shop exists near me so much the better but please steer me to a good shop with some selection that covers both street and mountain biking.

Thanks

Pivotal figure
    Rage in Scottsdale would be my first choice, they cover a wide range of bikes from the unobtainium to beach cruisers. They'll be straight with you as far as what is gonna be a better choice vs what's gonna be the coolest new doodad to show off. Not that I don't love those new doodads!

Here's another thread about the same topic (it's right below this one actually)
    Looking for a new AM bike, best bike shops in Scottsdale?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Doug at Fountain Hills Bikes is a good guy and could help you out. He has fair inventory of Specialized on hand and can get Niner, Kona, Pivot and a few others. The shop is on Fountain Hills BVLD in the last shopping center on the way out to MMP.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    AOA in Scottsdale is a bike rental shop and tour company. If you you want help/advice getting started out try one of their mountain bike tours. They have a large rental stock too. Great bikes, good guys. They'll help you figure out what type of bike and start you on the right trails. www.aoa-adventures.com

My other ride is your mom
    Sticky at the top of the forum will get you started on trails in the area (McDowell Preserve and McDowell Mountain Park). Trails like Pemberton are good to start out on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks all. A lot of good information here.

Always a good day to ride
    When we are in that area, we like to go to Bicycle Ranch on the corner of Frank Lloyd Wright and the 101. Great selection of different bikes from Trek, Cannondale and Pivot. They have a great stock of accessories and a very friendly/knowledgeable staff. Plus, great service every time we needed it. They saved our butts one year by quickly fixing a blown fork in a pinch for us the day before the Fury.

Fountain Hills Bikes is a Specialized shop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks. The term "Specialized shop". Does this mean the brand name or something else?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
    Thanks. The term "Specialized shop". Does this mean the brand name or something else?
    Specialized is a bike brand. Probably the most common brand on the trail.

mtbr member
    Personally, I think the "best bike shop" "best tire" "best anything" threads are really only good for what our personal tastes are. If I'm a 45 year old businessman, I may not appreciate a shop full of guys with dreadlocks even though they may be the greatest bike mechanics in AZ.. If I'm an SS purist, a Trigeek oriented roadie shop will not be my deal.

There are multitudes of good shops around. I have only been in one bad shop. It was really only bad due to one grumpy employee, other than that, it would probably be fine.

It's like saying, who's the best looking woman on television...
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post

That one is easy, Emily Ratajkowski. (Google her! You will thank me later)
    Marty

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    Personally, I think the "best bike shop" "best tire" "best anything" threads are really only good for what our personal tastes are. If I'm a 45 year old businessman, I may not appreciate a shop full of guys with dreadlocks even though they may be the greatest bike mechanics in AZ.. If I'm an SS purist, a Trigeek oriented roadie shop will not be my deal.

There are multitudes of good shops around. I have only been in one bad shop. It was really only bad due to one grumpy employee, other than that, it would probably be fine.

I agree. And I don't think I used the term best. LOLs.

I think based on location I'll probably wander into the Fountain Hills shop as soon as the doctor OKs riding (knee issues). I know how lazy I am and I want a good shop near to me for repairs and all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea View Post
    That one is easy, Emily Ratajkowski. (Google her! You will thank me later)
    Very, very nice, I would agree. And...pushing "thanks button" >>>>>>*<<<<<<
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
    I agree. And I don't think I used the term best. LOLs.

I think based on location I'll probably wander into the Fountain Hills shop as soon as the doctor OKs riding (knee issues). I know how lazy I am and I want a good shop near to me for repairs and all.
    That shop has had trouble staying open under various owners. I don't know the reasons. give them a try but also be prepared for them to be a convenient shop that can be good for you but also not the only shop you frequent.

I think the OP was looking for people's opinions based on their experiences in local shops. We all look for recommendations when choosing a restaurant, hotel, car, bike, ect.

My point was that the Fountain Hills shop only really sells Specialized products. If that is what you want, then go there. I prefer a shop the offers a few more choices than just one brand and that can offer me decent service.

Like Absolute here in Flag. They offer Specialized, but also offer other brands like Giant and Pivot in the shop. If I am looking for a helmet, glove, clothing, tires... they offer Spec but, also an assortment of other brands. Plus, their service is top notch.

But do not take our word for it. Go into the different shops in the area and decide for yourself.
    Last edited by bik_ryder; 10-22-2013 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I like Rage -- they have some smaller brands and good advice. They gave me a lot of help putting my DJ bike together and helped prevent me from making some mistakes I would have regret later. http://ragecycles.com/

Bicycle Ranch is the closest shop to my house, and I use them for some service -- they've really done me a couple solids to squeeze me in for maintenance ahead of some more recreational folks. Note, they don't carry Pivot -- they've got Trek, Cannondale and Giant. Products ? Bicycle Ranch

I've never brought my mt bike there, but I've done a lot of stuff with my roadie at Bicycle Haus, and they know their stuff and have always been very fair with me on pricing stuff. Definitely more of an upscale vibe (choke down the vomit with you see the $350 Assos cycling shorts), but they do have Santa Cruz and Pivot and some other good smaller brands along with Specialized. Bicycle Haus - Arizona's Premiere Bicycle Shop - Specialized, Pinarello, Colnago, Orbea, Chrome, Assos, Castelli -- in Old Town.

DNA also has treated me well, but they're also pretty much just Specialized.

The other shop that'd probably be convenient is Landis, on Shea & Scottsdale. They have Specialized, Trek and some other stuff. I used to shop there when I first moved to AZ, but it's not really my vibe -- felt a bit like they're trying too hard to sell... but maybe that's just the one salesperson I always seemed to run into. I will say the did help me out with some warranty stuff without complaint. They look to have a tent sale this weekend, actually: Landis Cyclery, Bicycle & Triathlon Shop: Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, AZ

As noted above, you can probably spit and hit some good trails from where you live. You'll see the signs on Shea for Lost Dog Wash trailhead, it's just north on 124th St. Stop by and grab a map (or find it online). McDowell Mountain Park just north of Ft. Hills is probably even better for beginners -- try Pemberton Trail, as noted above. Also, the new Brown's Ranch Trailhead in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve that just formally opened last weekend has some really mellow trails that would be perfect to start on -- it's just north of Pima-Dynamite in North-North Scottsdale (just West of Rio Verde). You could also duck down to Hawes in Mesa on the Beeline. An embarrassment of riches....

Enjoy!
    Ted

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Also, note there will be a bunch of bike demos coming up throughout the winter. Pivot will be at McDowell Mtn Park Nov 16: Demo | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill

Some other ideas here: Bike Demo's in AZ

Demos are a great chance to try (for free) before you buy... I, for one, had barely heard of Pivot before I moved here, but now I lust after a Pivot Firebird after demoing one last year. Last year I also demoed Trek, Specialized, Rocky Mtn, and one or two others.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    OK, today I did some initial research at a bike shop. I went into the Bike Ranch and I liked it. The guy who helped me was named Markus and well, I'm simply not up to speed to ask lots of questions I should but that didn't bother him and he didn't lead me to $2000 bikes.

Based on my predictions for my usage of 3 hours or less per week and a lot of that on local roads in my subdivision and some light trail riding he suggested:

Hardtail - cheaper and easier to pedal.
    Not starter but next level up

A Trek Excaliber 5 for I think $599. Nice looking bike. I think the price includes full assembly and such. This is cheaper than I thought I'd pay. It has upgraded Shimono shifters and 29 inch tires.

So, any thoughts on Trek? And is pricing of bikes usually fixed or negotiable?

Thanks

Sounds like a good fit based on what you are planning on doing with the bike. Trek makes great bikes and backs them well. Retail on that bike is $649, so it sounds like they were giving you a break on the price already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Great. I'm still verboten to ride by the doctor due to stupid knee issues but I'm thinking I could at least pedal it around the neighborhood without problems. I mean at therapy they have me pedal a staionary bikf for 10 minutes for warmup. How bad could it be?

I am leaning towards getting this one. I wonder if after it is built how much adjustment can be done to my specific physical shape like length of legs and torso etc. he seems confident the 19.5 was the right frame and at 6'1" I guess he is right. I am also planning on adding the pedals for clip in shoes which is another $89. And I'm guessing I need a helmet and .......

Probably drop $1000 to get started anyway.

Meatbomb
    Don't be too quick to jump in to the clipless pedals (especially with knee issues), they take some getting use too.. Learn the bike for a while before going that route.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Don't be too quick to jump in to the clipless pedals (especially with knee issues), they take some getting use too.. Learn the bike for a while before going that route.
    I have used them in cycle classes in the gym. I know it's different. I don't see how it would be bad though.

The ones they showed me allow you to use clip in shoes OR the other side regular shoes. I am curious though since trail riding looks like it would need you to pedal pulling up as well as pushing down how would you do that without clip ins?

I'm open to education.

mtbr member
    To answer your question, yes Trek bikes are fine.

I see a lot of posts like this. Like is this brand good ? Really however, a bike is a frame with a bunch of components on it. And all the major brands mix and match pretty much the same components based on price level. I honestly think there isn't much difference in brand for the major brands like trek, cannondale, giant, specialzed, etc...

Only time the "brand" will matter really is when you need a new frame if/when you break the frame. So, you may want to google about customer service.

You may want to ask more questions about the fork, drivetrain components, brakes, etc.... because all the brand provides you with is the frame... pick 2 or 3 bikes and list out the components and the others here may have an opinion on them...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks. That makes sense. As a newbie it would be difficult for me to remember all the components on a bike. I "assume" the shocks are part of the frame? And I guess the wheels and tires are all not Trek and brakes and gears and.....

Hmmm. I know it had Shimano (sp) gears and shifter with separate parts for shifter and brake which he emphasized as a better than entry level feature.

But I'm guessing on a board like this where guys routinely spend upwards of $5000 on their biking gear the worst I could do buying this bike is overpay by $50 from a reputable dealer versus knowing all the parts. If thats a fair assessment I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

And if I get hooked on riding (doubtful but weirder things have happened) I'll likely get hooked on the gear aspect and start over with a high end build. I mean, you wouldn't believe me if I told you about my guitar gear and I do not play professionally.

The only thing still in my head is this is an Excalibur 5. And the Trek webpage shows no Excalibur 5 but has a 6. Am I getting old inventory or does it matter?

mtbr member
    if you google the bike model/year, you can find the specs easily
    Below Par on the Gnar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast