mtbr member

Good Beginner Trails?

Living in the Phoenix area. Just downloaded Trailforks, and it seems to show some promising trails at south mountain. Willing to drive quite a bit to find something decent in other areas as well. Looking for some fun decents, but obviously ones you think new riders may be able to handle. Both my brother and I will be on hard tails, 2018 Giant Fathom 1. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Where do you live in the valley, east side, west side. Etc.

I ride the Hawes trail system all the time out in East Mesa. Itís a good time. My friend rides it with me on $800 GT hard tail with an air shock and he can keep up with no problems. Hereís a link

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...950000003&z=13

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Warpaint and Desert Classic are pretty good choices over at South Mountain. Not really any big descents there, but are fun to ride and beginner friendly. Another option is San Tan Mountain Regional Park. I like to do a loop out of San Tan/Hedgehog/Stargazer/Moonlight. Both of those options are used for some of the organized beginner geared group rides from some of the local bike shops on Saturday mornings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashtestdummee View Post
    Where do you live in the valley, east side, west side. Etc.

I ride the Hawes trail system all the time out in East Mesa. Itís a good time. My friend rides it with me on $800 GT hard tail with an air shock and he can keep up with no problems. Hereís a link

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...950000003&z=13
    My apartment is right by PHX Skyharbor airport. So Mesa would be a pretty quick drive for me. I saved the link and Iíll give it a shot, thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericridebike View Post
    Warpaint and Desert Classic are pretty good choices over at South Mountain. Not really any big descents there, but are fun to ride and beginner friendly. Another option is San Tan Mountain Regional Park. I like to do a loop out of San Tan/Hedgehog/Stargazer/Moonlight. Both of those options are used for some of the organized beginner geared group rides from some of the local bike shops on Saturday mornings.
    Noted! Iíll be giving it a try, thanks!

Addicted to 2 wheels
    If Sky Harbor is your area, Papago and South Mountain are closest.

Papago is pretty tame and hard to get in trouble at. Can be easy to miss stuff if you don't know your way around. Also, homeless folks on the Tempe side.

Somo - Stick to Dessert Classic. Stage at War Paint for now, until Pima Canyon opens. You could also stage off Baseline and 46th, and go through Beverly Canyon. You will hit more chunk and bigger climbs that way. Will save you 10 minutes of driving each way though.

Hawes is around 20 minutes from you. Great beginner route is to park at Park N Ride, under 202 on Power, then go Northfor about 2 miles. Then cut into TRW, and come back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    If Sky Harbor is your area, Papago and South Mountain are closest.

Papago is pretty tame and hard to get in trouble at. Can be easy to miss stuff if you don't know your way around. Also, homeless folks on the Tempe side.

Somo - Stick to Dessert Classic. Stage at War Paint for now, until Pima Canyon opens. You could also stage off Baseline and 46th, and go through Beverly Canyon. You will hit more chunk and bigger climbs that way. Will save you 10 minutes of driving each way though.

Hawes is around 20 minutes from you. Great beginner route is to park at Park N Ride, under 202 on Power, then go Northfor about 2 miles. Then cut into TRW, and come back.
    Dude solid info! Thank you so much

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It would be about a 30 to 40 min drive on a sat. But diffinately check out Browns Ranch north Scottsdale. Super smooth trails. Almost like riding in a water slide. My 8 yo loves it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    it's been a couple of years since i parked at 46th/baseline, but the last time my bud and i were there there was a cop cruising through. he stopped to ask us how often we'd been there. that was the first, and last, time so we told him this was our first time. he said dont leave anything valuable in view in our vehicle, there were prob's with theft.

i have zero idea how prevalent it was at the time nor if it's still happening. just passing it along.

not so 1337 mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I will have to look into Browns Ranch for myself.

Keep finding good suggestions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotMTB View Post
    My apartment is right by PHX Skyharbor airport. So Mesa would be a pretty quick drive for me. I saved the link and Iíll give it a shot, thanks!
    Papago
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.