Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Gold canyon sunday rides

They're back! The Sunday Morning Ride at Gold Canyon.

Join us this Sunday for the 2012-13 Sunday Season Kickoff! We'll be meeting at the Cloudview Trailhead parking area and ready to roll at 8 AM. We'll plan to hit the "Best of Gold Canyon"--Lost Gold Mine, Cougar, Gila Monster, Secret, K and Holy Hill. Plan on about three hours, about 20 miles and 1500 or so feet of climbing. Gold Canyon trails provides something for everyone. Bring your bike, bring a friend and lets ride!

Directions: US-60 E to N on Kings Ranch Road, approximately 2.8 miles, turn right on E. Baseline Ave. and follow the brown "hiker/trail head" signs to the Cloudview parking area. See map.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Sweet. Love me some Gold Canyon. Looks like I'm getting into the McDowells this Sunday, but I'll sure make it out soon. These mornings are getting pretty nice.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Count me in!

mtbr member
    Perfect! I was just asking about the gold canyon trails. This sounds like a perfect way to check it out and see whats out there! What will the pace be? I am in okay shape but climbing tends to kick my a$$ here lately from my summer slack off...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzKennedy View Post
    ...this sounds like a perfect way to check it out and see whats out there! What will the pace be? ...
    AzKennedy, we don't ride at race-pace. We usually take a few breaks at the highlights, session some of the technical stuff, enjoy the ride. While there's no extreme climbing, it's pretty easy to accumulate 1500 feet and not know it. Generally we bag 15 to 20 miles in about 3 hours.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I will be in Phoenix 11-13 October (never ridden out west) hope to ride every day. You do this trail thursday- friday - or saturday?

mtbr member
    This sounds great! I've ridden the trails out there a few times, but always wondered if I was riding in the right direction, or taking the most fun lines...
    Really want to make it this weekend, I gotta see if I can trade shifts with someone at work, though. Hopefully I can make it work and join you!
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjscrogins99 View Post
    I will be in Phoenix 11-13 October (never ridden out west) hope to ride every day. You do this trail thursday- friday - or saturday?
    tjscrogins99,
    Someone is likely to be riding any or all of those days...any takers?

GM

Low speed, High Drag
    I'm gonna have to get out there, and try those trails. This is a regular ride, right?
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    I plan to head out there this saturday with a friend. Looking forward to checking out some new (to us) riding.

Give it a crank
    Great riding out there by any measure. I'll have to wait till my bad knee lets me ride again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Good to hear, how is the signage? Will I be able to tell where I am going, will have a pocket gps just in case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
    I'm gonna have to get out there, and try those trails. This is a regular ride, right?
    It will be a regular ride, Sundays at 8, leaving from Cloudview parking lot. Weather's getting great!

mtbr member
    Good to hear, how is the signage? Will I be able to tell where I am going, will have a pocket gps just in case.
    Most of the trails are now signed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi GM;
    I'll be there mid October; want to meet and see whats in store for building for this winter.
    cheers. enjoy the ride, tho I note that its still over 100 there at noon; whereas it is 65 here in BC.
    Ride On.
    TS

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Gold Canyon Trail Map

Is there a recent update of the GC trails? TS

mtbr member
    TS, rains this monsoon season have taken a slight toll in areas, so a little maintenance in some areas is in order, but overall things are in good shape.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I saw some footage of the rain there; huge!
    Lookin fwd to ridin GC soon. cheers, and thanks .TS

mtbr member
    i can show you around on that saturday morning. I put in 15 miles out there today
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Give it a crank
    I can show you some of the trails in the McDowells early Thurs. if you're up for some of our climbing trails. PM me to hook up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Been dying to get out there, but always wanted someone "in the know" to show the best/most fun route...so this sounds great!

Not sure where I'd fall with everyone in terms of fitness (most rides lately have been ~12mi and 1.5 - 2hrs). I assume that with some basic directions, you could point someone back to the lot if they had to bail early for whatever reason?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BullitTom View Post
    Been dying to get out there, but always wanted someone "in the know" to show the best/most fun route...so this sounds great!

Not sure where I'd fall with everyone in terms of fitness (most rides lately have been ~12mi and 1.5 - 2hrs). I assume that with some basic directions, you could point someone back to the lot if they had to bail early for whatever reason?
    BullitTom, you'd fall right in with the rest of us.
    GM

mtbr member
    Looks like I got an afternoon shift this week, so if you're still doing the ride this Sunday morning, I'm in!
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard View Post
    Looks like I got an afternoon shift this week, so if you're still doing the ride this Sunday morning, I'm in!
    Hey B_B,

Sunday is on. Please note that we're meeting in the Cloudview parking lot (see first post by me in this thread for the map directions). See you there at 8!
    GM

I am Walt
    Any chance to do one/some of these on a Saturday? Deanna and I want to join, but I have a disease called the "Arizona Cardinals" that prevents me from riding late/longer on Sundays...or at all on home-game Sundays...

Thanks!

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast