Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540

    Gold Canyon Google Earth Map

    I have been doing some rides in Gold Canyon recently and was given some gpx files by several riders to put together a Google Earth map of the various different trails. When I go into Gila Monsters site I can see where there is a button for getting his file but it has never worked for me so I decided to try and learn how to make maps in Google Earth to share with others.

    Google Earth is very hard for an old guy like me to use, but this is what I ended up with so far. Please let me know if this kind of map is helpful? I have been told there might be a way to use it on a Smart Phone.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    How much further ???
    Reputation: Douger-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,157
    What is the blue trail between K-trail and Diamond Back (I believe its called)? Does that exist already?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,998
    Looks pretty good, thanks for sharing. The kmz file loads fine on my smartphone into Locus which reads many kinds of gps files.

    If you could put your awesome Sedona maps into kmz format too, that would be wonderful!

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Looks pretty good, thanks for sharing. The kmz file loads fine on my smartphone into Locus which reads many kinds of gps files.

    If you could put your awesome Sedona maps into kmz format too, that would be wonderful!
    It's a much BIGGER project but it is in the works and should be coming out within a couple weeks.

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    What is the blue trail between K-trail and Diamond Back (I believe its called)? Does that exist already?
    I believe that connector to K -Trail is already there and I am going out there with TS to ride tomorrow and will try and do a GPS track tomorrow. I will check it out to see if it actually exists. I think Gila Monster is going to call it Mohave. Should work well heading back to Cloudview (K to Mohave to Diamond Back to Cougar to Parking Lot) after riding around on the southeast end.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902
    Peralta = Penis ahahahahahah

    I love Google Earth.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902
    TD, now what you need to do is click on the camera icon to record a tour (macro).

    When it is recording, click on all your placemarks when, when you are done with this, stop recording, save this tour and play it. This is how it is done.

    Once you have mastered this, go back and customize the view of each placemark. In the area of the placemark, zoom in or out or change the camera angle till you get the view you want this placemark to have, then right click on the placemark and select Snapshot View.

    Changing the snapshot view prolly won't show up in the tour, so you'll prolly need to record it again. This is how the magic is done.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902
    Here is a little project I did from my kayak trip from Camp Verde to Childs.

    I pedaled up from Childs (blue line) then paddled my ducky down the gnar on the (less than ) stout Verde.

    The last option in this project has a fly-by tour as I described above. Click on it, and it start the tour.

    And here is a stoopid blog entry about this trip: Where the Streets Have No Name: Verde River (White Bridge to Childs)
    Attached Files Attached Files

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GilaMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    910
    Mohave it is.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    Mohave it is.
    It would be cool to get a couple of those world class signs made up for Diamond Back and the Mohave trails. I think a lot of riders ride past Mohave while heading back to the Cloudview parking lot.

    If they took Mohave they could bypass riding the Jeep road up to Gila Monster and take Diamond Back to Gila. I think some riders would like that route and TS and I will check it out tomorrow to see if it has any merit.

    Riding Gold Canyon kinda reminds me of Sedona. You guys have a difficult network of trails to navigate and w/o signage or a GPS you end up not having a clue which trail you are on.

    I hear there is a wash that you ride in to get to Snowbird. It is also on the Google Earth map and tomorrow TS and I will see how it rides. I thought Sedona was the only good wash riding area, but I might be proven wrong on that one. TS says you drop done the beginning of Secret trail to access it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GilaMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    910
    Diamondback is now signed. Working on Mohave. Should have "GM2C" and "C2GM" connector signs out by the weekend.
    Last edited by GilaMonster; 11-27-2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: more info
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

  12. #12
    How much further ???
    Reputation: Douger-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post

    Riding Gold Canyon kinda reminds me of Sedona. You guys have a difficult network of trails to navigate and w/o signage or a GPS you end up not having a clue which trail you are on.

    .
    That's not entirely true. After looking at a map and asking a couple questions to fellow riders on the trail I had no issue navigating the trail network before they put up the signs. It just took a little effort on my part.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    That's not entirely true. After looking at a map and asking a couple questions to fellow riders on the trail I had no issue navigating the trail network before they put up the signs. It just took a little effort on my part.
    Douger:

    I still get confused out there and I have been spending a lot of time making a map of of all the trails. Not only do the trails go everywhere but the road system weaves all over the place.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GilaMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    910
    Just want to see if this works...this link *hopefully* takes you to the GoogleEarth map that also includes the dirt roads. TD, it might be easier for you to just copy the dirt roads from mine and paste them in to your file.

    Gold Canyon Trail System update 11.25.12GM
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

  15. #15
    aGo
    aGo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    24
    Thanks for the tracks, great riding out there..GM I road during the week, how is the hiking traffic on the weekends?

  16. #16
    kAZ
    kAZ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    252
    I've ridden GC most Saturday mornings since May. There can be a surprising number of cars in the Cloudview lot, but the hikers seem to mostly hike the Hieroglyphics trail, and if they do venture out on Lost Goldmine it seems that most of them take that shortest loop back to the parking lot. I've encountered a hiker or two on the Old Horse trail from Cloudview down, but once your as far east as say Vortex, nada.

    I've never seen a hiker on K-trail or anything east of Cougar, and on Cougar itself only a couple of times. However, I've had to route around cattle a couple of times. I don't trust 'em, and the cattle out there appear to be longhorns,,, at least their horns are enormous.


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    556
    today's ride:

    Cloudview/Cougar/K-trail/Diamondback/Gila Monster/Votex/Holy Hill and back.

    Great job on the trails out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gold Canyon Google Earth Map-gd_04.jpg  

    Gold Canyon Google Earth Map-gd_01.jpg  

    Gold Canyon Google Earth Map-gd_02.jpg  

    Gold Canyon Google Earth Map-gd_03.jpg  


  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by kAZ View Post
    I've ridden GC most Saturday mornings since May. There can be a surprising number of cars in the Cloudview lot, but the hikers seem to mostly hike the Hieroglyphics trail, and if they do venture out on Lost Goldmine it seems that most of them take that shortest loop back to the parking lot. I've encountered a hiker or two on the Old Horse trail from Cloudview down, but once your as far east as say Vortex, nada.

    I've never seen a hiker on K-trail or anything east of Cougar, and on Cougar itself only a couple of times. However, I've had to route around cattle a couple of times. I don't trust 'em, and the cattle out there appear to be longhorns,,, at least their horns are enormous.

    Kaz:

    I love your post. They appear to be longhorns, certainly not a Black Angus.

    Wait until you see the Mohave on Mohave. When you cross the BIG wash heading to DK keep your eyes peeled. Seems pretty friendly, but might be pretending to be nice like the cows out there

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,003
    So, for a newbie to the area and after a two-hour loop ride would it be best to take Lost Goldmine to K-trail or Parking Lot trail and climb Cougar? After that, would it be better to make a clockwise loop with K-trail-Diamond Back and Gila Monster? Or, just stay on K-Trail and do what seems to be the older recommended way of looping up the area with Quartz Ridge.

    My daughter has a swim meet in Chandler tomorrow and I might explore around a bit(sans gps of course).

  20. #20
    kAZ
    kAZ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    252
    Depends on how much you enjoy technical riding. I enjoy riding Lost Goldmine to K-trail, but not many of my riding partners enjoy that route. I cut my teeth riding Pass Mtn, so... LG isn't all that technical, but I reckon most decent riders will lose traction a few times on it on their way to K.

    I'm going to check out Diamondback for the first time tomorrow, so no comment on that, but going down K is the nectar out there imho. It does look to me like the Cougar, Connector, GM, Diamondback is going to be a rather circuitous way to get to K; although that's what I plan to ride Sat. GM is a kind of weird trail that way since it meanders through the area a bit. To make short work of getting to K, we usually take the Parking Lot trail down to the jeep road just past Cougar, then climb the jeep road to LG and take that over to K. A frequent short route we do is that and from where K kind of ends near the Vortex take that last jeep road back up to LG and go over to take Cougar down, and then Parking Lot back to Cloudview. That route takes our group about 2 hours; it's about 12 miles, maybe a little less.

    Add Tech Loop, Snowbird/Secret to add more miles/time. Or from there we've ridden Vortex and taken GM back to the jeep road and up to Cougar. There are so many options now though, I'm not even sure what we're going to do tomorrow.

    I will say that Quartz Ridge is a decent loop, but I wouldn't ride that at the expense of doing whatever gets you back up to Cougar for the finish. I like finishing with Cougar. It kind of reminds me of the fun swoopy runout of riding Moon Rock after slogging around Pass Mtn.

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    So, for a newbie to the area and after a two-hour loop ride would it be best to take Lost Goldmine to K-trail or Parking Lot trail and climb Cougar? After that, would it be better to make a clockwise loop with K-trail-Diamond Back and Gila Monster? Or, just stay on K-Trail and do what seems to be the older recommended way of looping up the area with Quartz Ridge.

    My daughter has a swim meet in Chandler tomorrow and I might explore around a bit(sans gps of course).
    Rockman:

    For you I recommend Cloudview Parking Lot to Lost Goldmine to K-Trail to To K to Secret to down the signed Snowbird Wash to Snowbird to Kiki to Secret to To K to K-Trail to Mohave to Black Diamond to Gila Monster to 2GM to Cougar to the Parking Lot trail to Cloudview.

    If you want to cut the ride short because you don't want to climb up Snowbird which is a fun climb and descent don't ride down the Snowbird Wash just ride in and do the Secret Lollipop Loop and head to To K and left on K-trail to Mohave, etc.

    Another idea if you are tired is to forget Secret all together and ride K-Trail to the Tech Loop and back to K-Trail. The Tech Loop is very unique and I am sure you would like the effort that went into building something techy with the material they had to work with.

    Note: Cloudview is all rideable with the determination you have demonstrated in Sedona, but it will be challenging. There is one spot on Lost Goldmine that I ride around a big boulder to the left to make it up the initial steep climb. It's kind of like riding Under the Radar before crossing Old Post. There is a steep short uphill section I only make 30% of the time and I go around the tree below to get the momentum to make the off camber climb.


    TD

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,003
    I rather enjoyed my one ride at Pass Mtn although the north and south ends are almost entirely different trails from a chunk perspective. I look forward to seeing this part of the valley other than having backpacked in the Superstitions many moon ago. Thanks for the info KaZ and TD.

  23. #23
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: freeskier46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,917
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    So, for a newbie to the area and after a two-hour loop ride would it be best to take Lost Goldmine to K-trail or Parking Lot trail and climb Cougar? After that, would it be better to make a clockwise loop with K-trail-Diamond Back and Gila Monster? Or, just stay on K-Trail and do what seems to be the older recommended way of looping up the area with Quartz Ridge.

    My daughter has a swim meet in Chandler tomorrow and I might explore around a bit(sans gps of course).
    Looks like you have some good options already, but here's another.

    From Cloudview: Lost Goldmine -> Cougar -> Holy Hill -> Old Horse Trail -> Vortex Bailout -> Mojave -> Diamondback -> K-Trail -> (optional based on your time commitment: Secret lollipop CCW -> Kiki -> Snowbird CCW back past Kiki then exit Snowbird to the right at the 'T',then right on jeep road back to K-Trail) -> Tech Loop -> Up to Vortex **do mandatory lap on top of Vortex** head back down towards Gila Monster -> GM2C Connector -> Back to Cougar then Cloudview. This will give you around 18 miles or so, again based on your time you may want to cut out Secret/Snowbird. Quartz Ridge is good, but you may not have time to sqeeze it all in.

    Here's a double loop I did last week, first loop was slow paced with another rider, second loop was solo, so a bit quicker. Have fun out there & share your experience!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

  24. #24
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Looks like you have some good options already, but here's another.

    From Cloudview: Lost Goldmine -> Cougar -> Holy Hill -> Old Horse Trail -> Vortex Bailout -> Mojave -> Diamondback -> K-Trail -> (optional based on your time commitment: Secret lollipop CCW -> Kiki -> Snowbird CCW back past Kiki then exit Snowbird to the right at the 'T',then right on jeep road back to K-Trail) -> Tech Loop ->
    fs:

    I don't know if you have the To K logged yet. When I rode with TS the other day we noticed a really nice trail called To K across from the Secret Trail entrance/exit. It seems like the intent of the trail was to help eliminate riding on the Jeep road back to K-Trail or initially getting to Secret from K-Trail.

    Rockman the Tech Loop is best ridden in a counterclockwise directum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gold Canyon Google Earth Map-k.jpg  

    Last edited by traildoc; 11-30-2012 at 11:45 PM.

  25. #25
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: freeskier46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,917
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    fs:

    I don't know if you have the To K logged yet. When I rode with TS the other day we noticed a really nice trail called To K across from the Secret Trail entrance/exit. It seems like the intent of the trail was to help eliminate riding on the Jeep road back to K-Trail or initially getting to Secret from K-Trail.
    TD: Yeah, I saw that y'day, so I checked it out along with the wash connection down to Snowbird. I was going to climb Snowbird CW, but I was running a bit late at the start & didn't feel like night riding. I was able to clean that rock feature on the entrance to Diamondback for the 1st time, the approach is a bit tricky, but if it's lined up good it's not too bad. Fun stuff for sure.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •