mtbr member
    May 2011

Going up to the Biscuit (Prescott) this weekend, need advice on what trails to ride!

I am planning on riding this Sunday and Monday. I have only done the Whiskey route and would like to see what else Prescott has to offer. I am looking for nice XC type riding, not looking for super techie downhills or bunny hopping over water bars. Basically a trail that I can put some miles in, has some nice climbs and flowy downhills and is generally a pleasure to ride.

mtbr member
    Lynx lake is a nice XC ride, and you can camp there if interested. I really liked Granite Basin. Not too difficult, and flowy. I used the map from the Cosmic Ray books. I hear the Dells are nice, but I will need someone to give me a tour of that place. I would say Granite Basin.
    Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.
-Grant Petersen

Give it a crank
    Trail 396 off the Goldwater Lakes is pretty sweet. It leads to many other trails too.

mtbr member
    Here's a shot of the Dells for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    It's a great one. Take at across then climb up Wolverine Mtn. About 20 miles total, no gnar and all quality built.
    AKA: G-wat

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm heading up there in a couple of weeks too. How would you describe the Whisky? I'm adding it to the head of the line.

EDR

Re: Going up to the Biscuit (Prescott) this weekend, need advice on what trails

I'm an out of towner who has ridden the Dells. It's a fun and unique trail however it is about as opposite of a flowy XC trail as you can find. At least in my opinion. More like a playground for bikes. With a trail thrown in.

If I lived up there I'm sure I would ride it often, but I don't think it's what you're looking for based on your description.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    As a Prescott native, take your pick. If you head to Granite Basin, expect a playground of smooth trails, with 90% DG covering. With the rains lately - its about as fast as DG can be.

Head over to Lynx Lake and ride the 305 trail - it's about 7 miles uphill with only 1 really good climb. Then you turn around a bomb an awesome downhill with very little chunk. Fast and fun.

Goldwater lake area has the 396 and Wolverton which will connect you over to trail 48 which you did on the Whiskey. Another wonderful trail system that is fast flowy XC riding.

If you want to ride Thumb Butte, head to the parking lot at the Thumb Butte hiking trail and ride on the North side of the road. Anything on the North side is fast and smooth. For an all day ride, you can connect off this over to Granite Basin area.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I think I am going to go hit up Granite Basin and see what it has to offer. Is there a loop system I could do over there?