mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Going to Sunrise Resort for first time. Any advice?

I'm heading to Sunrise for the first time for some lift service trail riding.. This will be my first time at Sunrise, or any lift served trails for that matter. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which trails are the best. Or just advice in general about the resort. I just finished building up a Canfield The One. I've seen some complaints about lifts marking up the frame. As this is a new frame I'd like to know if there is some area's on the frame it may help to protect from the lift with a protective film or something. I don't really care if it gets scratched up from me riding it, it would bother me if it was something I could have protected on the lift ride up though. Also would full face helmet be recommended or just standard bike helmet. I have both so either works

Thanks

Huffy Rider
    Full face. There are only 2 or 3 DH trails all steep and loose. No comment on the bike getting scratched...

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    3m clear tape if your concerned about the frame. This should minimize it.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    "resort" ha! It's not really that. You might want to go ride the trails around Pinetop or other ones in the area if you are worried about your frame getting some scratches. Your body might get much worse "scratches" than your frame riding those trails with the current dry and loose conditions. Good luck! And.....please post some pictures of your adventure!

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Drive a little further and go to angel fire, our pajarito. Well worth the extra drive.
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    When are you heading up there. I will be there on july 6 th and can show you around if your going to be there that day. Bring body armor and a full face.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Trails are closed on July 6th and 7th. Archery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seven1seven View Post
    Trails are closed on July 6th and 7th. Archery.
    Forgot all about that thank you.

EDR
    I've been there a few times on my 5.5'' bike that I ride everything on. Never ridden a true d/h bike. For me, standard protection was adequate as I was not blazing the trails like true d/h guys. My advice if riding your everyday trail rig...

1) Be able to lower your seat down nearly all the way. If you can't, get a cheap seatpost and cut it short. If you have a dropper then no need.
    2) If you usually ride clipless maybe consider bringing some flats to try out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to wait until they get some rain. Seen some vids on YouTube and trails at sunrise look pretty sketchy. Add on top of that dry loose conditions and a bike I've only started tuning and riding today, makes sense to wait. I'm going to flagstaff to try out some trails there this weekend. Never been riding there so I thought a few shuttle rides would be nice to get a better feel for the bike and work on a suspension setup

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    3m clear tape if your concerned about the frame. This should minimize it.
    Were would be the best place to put the film. I have some on the bottom 1/3
    Of the downtube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Drive a little further and go to angel fire, our pajarito. Well worth the extra drive.
    Angelfire looks nice. Hadn't heard of it until your post. Bit of a drive though, but I noticed Gnar Gnar is going there may have to check it out on one of their trips

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Flag trails not going to be any easier. Really dry right now.

Huffy Rider
    The trails up in Flag are just as sketchy right now, really, not even fun. Wait till they get some rain as well. Lots of rain!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSmitty View Post
    Were would be the best place to put the film. I have some on the bottom 1/3
    Of the downtube.
    Behind the seatube. They lean the bike against the rear holder, downtube and underneath top tube.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSmitty View Post
    I'm heading to Sunrise for the first time for some lift service trail riding.. This will be my first time at Sunrise, or any lift served trails for that matter. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which trails are the best. Or just advice in general about the resort. I just finished building up a Canfield The One. I've seen some complaints about lifts marking up the frame. As this is a new frame I'd like to know if there is some area's on the frame it may help to protect from the lift with a protective film or something. I don't really care if it gets scratched up from me riding it, it would bother me if it was something I could have protected on the lift ride up though. Also would full face helmet be recommended or just standard bike helmet. I have both so either works

Thanks
    I rode it a couple weeks ago, it was my first time doing downhill so I wore some Fox body armour and a full face. I would have probably broke my shoulder blade if I didn't have the upper armour on, I flipped over the side of a trail and bounced off some rocks. It was pretty awesome though because it barely hurt. I'm not very good so I stuck to the Fungus Trail. It's fun though unless you're into extreme riding, then I couldn't tell you. I saw some dudes with downhill specific bikes go down a double black diamond, I'm sure it was harder than fungus.

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    sketchy, but still the best in the state. Get of your brakes, your ride will be better...

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lobos82 View Post
    I saw some dudes with downhill specific bikes go down a double black diamond, I'm sure it was harder than fungus.
    I took a guy who regularly rides Mammoth down that double black trail and he only made it about 100 ft before he turned around and pushed his bike back up, he wanted nothing to do with it. Fungus is more of a beginner trail, the only trail to ride if you aren't riding the blacks and double blacks. Your Canfield will handle every trail out there with no problem, mine does. Just gear up and hold on.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I took a guy who regularly rides Mammoth down that double black trail and he only made it about 100 ft before he turned around and pushed his bike back up, he wanted nothing to do with it. Fungus is more of a beginner trail, the only trail to ride if you aren't riding the blacks and double blacks. Your Canfield will handle every trail out there with no problem, mine does. Just gear up and hold on.
    Yeah I went down a blue section and it was practically straight down and through some trees, I can't imagine the double black! I still had a good time though

Ow!
    I was at Sunrise this weekend. Did the easy stuff (mainly Fungus), with a little of the blue mixed in. Lots of fun. I was expecting it to be loose, but it wasn't too bad and we had some rain. I had played on the "XC DH" trails at Snowmass and Vail many years ago, but this was only my second time at DH (or DH for me that is). Learned a lot, and ready to take a few more chances next time (but within limits--old means heal very slowly).
    I only went down once on Sunday's last run. Main reason was I was getting tired--and poor skills. I wore FF, hard shell knee/shin and elbow/forearm, and used them all. No injury, so well worth it to wear.

Now making plans for Angel Fire. Doubt I will ever be a real DHer, but the bug did bite. I will be hitting Sunrise again this summer. And it was a whole lot better than being in the over 110's in Tucson this past weekend.

Go go gadget bike!
    Sunrise is fun!! Beginners shouldn't stray too far from Fungus & Chutes n Ladders though... It will test your skills and make you a better rider for sure.

GO TO ANGELFIRE WITH GNARGNAR!!!!!! Super fun trails, super cool dudes, you are literally sleeping 400 feet from the lift.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Thanks Timmy for the plug..we do have room for about 4 more for Angel Fire next weekend! They're getting rain now...trails will be epic!

Huffy Rider
    +1 for going to AF with Gnar Gnar....you will have SO MUCH FUN!!

Thread Killer
    Snow Summit @ Big Bear is fun. Its a little further than Sunrise but worth it IMO.
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.