Vitamin Bike Added

Going to Flagstaff WITHOUT a bike, how will I get some stoke??

So I am finally going to flagstaff for the first time after living in the valley almost 2 years (YES!), but I don't get to take my bike (No!). It is a trip with the wifey and she would castrate me if I even hinted at the intention of bringing my bike and sauntering off in seek of some riding action.
    That said, my hope is that we can disguise a side trip to hike somewhere where I might be able to at least experience some gnar by osmosis. I see snowbowl caters to hikers in the summer as well as mountain bikers, would it make sense to do some hiking there and likely get a chance to see some DHers shredding the mountain? At the end of the day I want to plan a trip where I can see some sweet DH action on Sunday while having it be a spouse-friendly activity.
    Help!
    Keep the rubber side down

My other ride is your mom
    No DH at snowbowl or riding for that matter....closest you will come will be on the AZT as it crosses Hart Prairie.

mtbr member
    I get stoked off this kind of stuff:

Going to Flagstaff WITHOUT a bike, how will I get some stoke??-229058_10151036155327875_858272430_n.jpg

The trail up Humphreys starts at Snowbowl and goes up accordingly through the Kachina Peaks Wilderness.

That picture was at the saddle before you split off for either Humphreys or the other mountain. I didn't get to the top of Humphreys though. The altitude didn't agree with me, and about the time I got north of the tree line I started hearing thunder. I decided being the tallest thing up there during a lightning storm wasn't smart so I headed down.

mtbr member
    You'll see some riders getting their stoke on if you hike the Aspen Loop from the lower lot of Snowbowl. Or, park at Aspen Corner and hike AZ trail as far north as you care too. No riding in Snowbowl itself which is a pity. Or, hike the Sunset loop from Schultz Pass. The dirt road is a bit bumpy to get there but there will be lots of folks riding that and it's a nice hike as well.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Well earned rep for you both!

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    but I don't get to take my bike (No!). It is a trip with the wifey and she would castrate me if I even hinted at the intention of bringing my bike and sauntering off in seek of some riding action.
    Sounds like it might be a little too late

Vitamin Bike Added
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Sounds like it might be a little too late
    touche!

Give it a crank
    How about going for a ride on the chairlift?

EDR

Re: Going to Flagstaff WITHOUT a bike, how will I get some stoke??

Lava cave. Its out of the norm and quite fun.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...ava+River+Cave

Vitamin Bike Added
    Looks like a blast, any other 'must-do' stuff while in flag? Any good places to eat or go out in the evening as a couple? Also need somewhere to watch the stanely cup final...

No mames guey
    Get dinner at Pizzacleta, the head to PayNTake to watch the final. Or dinner at Tenderbox/Annex, then Sportsmans for the game.

Huffy Rider
    Flagstaff Adventure course, MUST DO!!!

slower than you
    Looks like a blast, any other 'must-do' stuff while in flag?.
    Go to Lumberyard. Get the red ale.

Any good places to eat or go out in the evening as a couple? .
    Eat at Lumberyard. Be sure to order the mac-and-cheese balls for your appetizer. Go crazy.

Also need somewhere to watch the stanely cup final...
    Lumberyard.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

Elitest thrill junkie
    Make sure to hike up to the B-24 wreck on Humphrey's peaks. Also go hike up SP and Sunset crater. SP is free and there's some cool stuff out that way, but sunset is cool too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Any good places to eat or go out in the evening as a couple?
    I liked Beaver Street Brewery. Nice atmosphere. Get the Lumberjack Burger. Hnnnnnggggg!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Make sure to hike up to the B-24 wreck on Humphrey's peaks. Also go hike up SP and Sunset crater. SP is free and there's some cool stuff out that way, but sunset is cool too.
    Hiking *on* Sunset Crater is no longer permitted but there is other hiking in the Monument. SP is fine, though.

The bomber wreck is pretty cool but requires some off-trail hiking and navigation. I'm sure someone has posted GPS coordinates online. It's actually easier to get to in the winter when everything is covered in deep snow -- but then only some parts are visible.

-db-

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Beer fest this weekend!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I like to sit around and do a whole lot of nothing in the mornings, maybe just sip on some java and do a little bit of people watching downtown. Around 11 things are way too hot in the sun for much of much so I siesta until about 2 or 3 as it's just about to start cooling and then go for a ride. That is what I love about Flag. Taking it easy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    Hiking *on* Sunset Crater is no longer permitted but there is other hiking in the Monument. SP is fine, though.

The bomber wreck is pretty cool but requires some off-trail hiking and navigation. I'm sure someone has posted GPS coordinates online. It's actually easier to get to in the winter when everything is covered in deep snow -- but then only some parts are visible.

-db-
    There's an easy way to get to the wreck and a real stupid hard way. Surprisingly, most people take the stupid way, which is stupid because it's quite a bit more dangerous and is basically walking straight up the mountain. The easy way is a traverse, and it's pretty well worn in, but even people that have been hiking it for years didn't know about it. You can see the wreck on google maps now and it wouldn't take long to figure out how to get there with the internet resources.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Huffy Rider
    I forgot to mention disc golf, there are 2 very nicely wooded courses in town. Super fun!

Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I forgot to mention disc golf, there are 2 very nicely wooded courses in town. Super fun!
    SB just re-opened it's disk golf course as well...

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    SB just re-opened it's disk golf course as well...
    Is it wooded? Never been there to play.

Partially wooded...it's designed around some of the lower runs...linky here including course map:

Information on high elevation disc golf at the Arizona Snowbowl

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Lava cave. Its out of the norm and quite fun.
    Coconino National Forest Recreation - Lava River Cave
    +1 on the lava tubes, if you go, make sure to bring 2 flashlight. 1 to use, and 1 to use when the first one dies unexpectedly. it is ink black in there w/o a light.
    3 buddies and I had to navigate our way out with only a Bic lighter back in college. NOT GOOD.

There is a deer farm/tourist trap in Williams that is pretty neat too. Deer Farm & Petting Zoo in Williams AZ by Grand Canyon Railroad Rt. 66 Gifts & Souvenirs About Us