Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Kathleen in AZ

Goat Camp - Sat 11/22 FIP 9AM

**** Note time change **** FIP at 9AM instead of 10.

The Evils are coming to town! Patrick and Tracey have never done Goat Camp and since they might be moving to AZ soon let's show them one of our finest.

I've posted 10AM FIP since the Evils will be coming up from Tucson in the morning but if it's still as warm as it was last weekend then we might have to move the time up. Will make that decision later in the week.

Directions from I-10... head west, way way west of Phoenix. Exit at 303 and head north. After about 7 miles turn left on Olive. It's $6 to enter the park so bring cash. Take the first left after the entrance and park near the first resthouse.

This can be done as the a loop with the gnar 3-mile DH (bring armor), or it can be an out-and-back XC ride. Both are great rides.

Post up if you plan to join!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 11-21-2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: time change!

"Yabut"
    I'll be there.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Black Lion
    I want to go too.

Just have to wait till Feb.
    Greg
    Voltron

I am Bob
    Oh Noo!!
    I'll be on Oregon for my brother's wedding this weekend. Good thing Goat Camp will be there when I get back...
    Have fun!

wrecking crew
    Jeff and I will be there. Jeff wants to try out the Sultan on the sweet uphills, so we may opt for the Out n' Back XC version...he always mangles something on the DH section and wants to keep his new bike puuurdy (at least for now...) If we bring the SixPacks, we'll be doing the DH.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    I still got a case of the kneesles er else I would be there
    Less Talk More Rock

Maui Grown
    I may have to join you guys for this one. I'll know later this week.

parenting for gnarness
    definitely maybe.

My other ride is your mom
    I'm a maybe definitely for the out-n-back depending on the stats....gotta be back at home out East Mesa way in nice clothes by 430. What's the mileage and elevation gained on the out-n-back?

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I'm a maybe definitely for the out-n-back depending on the stats....gotta be back at home out East Mesa way in nice clothes by 430. What's the mileage and elevation gained on the out-n-back?
    Time will depend on where you stage from. DG is proposing starting at the first ramadas after you enter the park. This is primarily for those wanting to do the whole enchilada as the parking spot ends near the gnarly DH section.

But if you are wanting to do the XC version, you can start near the Mesquite TH cutting off the ride time that is on the road. Then you turn around a ridge before the gnarly descent. XC you can pull off in 3 to 3.5 hrs if you start from the Mesquite TH instead of the first ramadas. This ends back at your vehicle instead of having to trudge the road.

Elevation and mileage I cannot remember...you can do a search as some have probably posted it up on the AZ forum.

Epicriders map will give you a clue as to the the elevation and mileages. Follow the yellow line. For the XC from Mesquite TH: Mesquite TH is just before his marker "4" and the turn around is approx. marker "11". DH descent starts at marker "12".

http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...027&fullsize=1
    ~~~

Don't believe the Hype...
    I'll try to swing it, XC for me.

FYI for anyone that hasn't done it, bring at least 100oz of water. Forcast is shows 79 and sunny, we don't want any BCT flashbacks So hydrate and carb up the day before!
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    I'm out. I'll be taking part in another form of masochim.
    b

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    I'm out. I'll be taking part in another form of masochim.
    What the hell, B? Spill it! I want to know what other form of masochism is as fun as GC!
    ~~~

Knollician
    I'm a maybe for this one. Depends on the comittments of some others. Getting the Highline out there sounds good.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    What the hell, B? Spill it! I want to know what other form of masochism is as fun as GC!

Watching Michigan football. I never said it was fun. But this year they can be equally painfull. 11/22 I get the added element of going to a house of the enemy so that I can get ridculed even more.

However.....if something unthinkable happens and my team wins.....it will be the best day EVER!
    b

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    DurtGirl, and others.

Me and my buddies are going to be out there this upcoming wknd. We've never ridden GC and really looking forward to new dirt. Though I've read soooo many conflicting distances and times. We will be riding big bikes, is this mostly an uphill push? and if so, for how long does it take anyone?

how long for the push up?
    how long for the entire loop?

thanks for your info/insight,
    -tep

"Yabut"
    The FASTEST way to do it, is the gnar way, if you're under time constraints.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by tep
    DurtGirl, and others.

Me and my buddies are going to be out there this upcoming wknd. We've never ridden GC and really looking forward to new dirt. Though I've read soooo many conflicting distances and times. We will be riding big bikes, is this mostly an uphill push? and if so, for how long does it take anyone?

-tep
    The ride is just a bit over 12 miles. It takes about 4 hours if you motor up the climbs, but more like 5 hours to relax and enjoy the ride. The climbing is pretty mellow and smooth with the exception of a hike -a-bike section early on in the climb.

Riding a big bike is not too much of an issue, you just gradually work your way up. About 2400 ft of climbing. I have yet to ride up there on a bike less than 37lb.

Here is a link to my GPS of a ride from a few years ago.
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=2490093
    Last edited by tiSS'er; 11-17-2008 at 05:50 PM.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

parenting for gnarness
    you will need to be back at your car by about 3, earlier if you get all meterosexual with your preparations - its about 1:15 from the Walgreen's.

if i go, we can carpool, but i plan to do the DH which might leave you tight on time. Its a beautiful climb, probably the biggest views in the Valley, well-worth appreciating since its such a long way to get there.

I've only done it twice, but like Tissr said, the climb is not that tough just steady. But i kinda like to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by tep
    DurtGirl, and others.

-tep
    I guess it all depends of your fitness level...I think it's hard as hell but totally worth it. I think it usally takes me 4ish (maybe 4 1/2, I'm always in a daze when I'm done) for XC and I'm one of the "slow bros". 3 up 1 down...

The first 45 minutes is hike a bike then serious climbing before you get to get to really "ride".

The another hour off working your way up higher which really nice single track.

Then you come to the "Super Switchback" which seems like about a mile and a half of steep switch back climbing.

Then more nice mild climbing to the turn around point or the drop into the Gnar if your doing the big bike thing. I always turn around and make it down before the gnar crews hit the road side.

Just pack well, because it's remote as hell...

www.krackedskulls.com

Happy trails
    sure,pick the trail that's close to my house,with great people i like to hang with,on THE saturday i work.
    ugh.
    everyone enjoy and be safe.i'll probably do the xc version on sunday.
    those doing the xc version should take the newish mesquite connector trail down from the top of the ford canyon "zig zag" climb.u pass it on the way up,it's goes up to your left and the new main trail continues straight along the hillside.lots of downhill fun!!!
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by FATTRAXX
    sure,pick the trail that's close to my house,with great people i like to hang with,on THE saturday i work.
    ugh.
    everyone enjoy and be safe.i'll probably do the xc version on sunday.
    those doing the xc version should take the newish mesquite connector trail down from the top of the ford canyon "zig zag" climb.u pass it on the way up,it's goes up to your left and the new main trail continues straight along the hillside.lots of downhill fun!!!
    Right on, so pass the zig zig and take that down? Is its better?

www.krackedskulls.com

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Jeff and I will be there. Jeff wants to try out the Sultan on the sweet uphills, so we may opt for the Out n' Back XC version...he always mangles something on the DH section and wants to keep his new bike puuurdy (at least for now...) If we bring the SixPacks, we'll be doing the DH.
    Bring the Six Packs and do the DH!!!! Jeff can climb anything on anything. We need to slow him down a bit and I want your company on the DH so I hope you bring the big bikes!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by FATTRAXX
    ugh.!!
    bummer - I was hoping to see you out there on Saturday. Maybe do some trading of days? Perhaps you feel a cold coming on?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    I want to go too.

Just have to wait till Feb.
    Greg
    here you are during your last trip - was is Jan or Feb? Looking forward to riding with you again Feb 09!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast