Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goat Camp

It rains here. :(

Goat Camp

Interesting find this evening..Pete Fagerlin has posted some footage of Goat Camp on his web site. Great stuff, maybe I'll get lucky and he'll post some Holbert footage.

Check it out: http://www.petefagerlin.com

Pivoteer
    Goat Camp is very difficult. That boy has some skill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yes, Goat Camp is very difficult. I did the climbs really well, the downhill stuff at the end had me walking most of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Goat Camp is very difficult. That boy has some skill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    what's goat camp! is it a trail or an event? sounds like a week of hell for newbies before they ship them off to Iraq or something......
    Scott

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    Interesting find this evening..Pete Fagerlin has posted some footage of Goat Camp on his web site. Great stuff, maybe I'll get lucky and he'll post some Holbert footage.

I LOVED GC when I rode it with Dale and the gang. Funboarder was there too. True, the end is very technical and overall it's a very difficult ride. Long, hilly and technical does not make for a ride for newbies...but oh so much fun if you're into torturing yourself (which I am). I rode everything on my Burner. I only have a HT right now as I'm waiting for my Dean FS to arrive but once it's here, I'll be looking to ride GC again, and again and again!!!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Just another half mile...

Missing the good stuff.....

Great video!! brought back lots of memories of rides gone past. But, I did saw lots of dabbing going on most of the milder stuff (per Goat Camp standrds) and didn't see much of the real techi stuff that Goat Camp is famous for. I would see more video of the more techi stuff to see how they fared.

Goat Camp is definetly the most difficult DH in the valley and not to be taken lightly. Back in Dec a group of five of rode it and came out with two busted up helmets from four big OTB's. Here are some more PICS from some of our past Goat Camp rides. One of my favorite trails in the valley!

Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    Yes, Goat Camp is very difficult. I did the climbs really well, the downhill stuff at the end had me walking most of the way.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Great video!! brought back lots of memories of rides gone past. But, I did saw lots of dabbing going on most of the milder stuff (per Goat Camp standrds) and didn't see much of the real techi stuff that Goat Camp is famous for. I would see more video of the more techi stuff to see how they fared.

Goat Camp is definetly the most difficult DH in the valley and not to be taken lightly. Back in Dec a group of five of rode it and came out with two busted up helmets from four big OTB's. Here are some more PICS from some of our past Goat Camp rides. One of my favorite trails in the valley!
    Although I have not ridden Goat Camp, I have to agree with Dale here. I have seen Pete's Goat Camp video, as well as most of his others. Looking at this video, I was not super impressed with the riding skills compared to some of Pete's other films. Of course, I have no idea what GC is like, but just looking at this video it seemed that there was in fact a lot of dabbing on milder stuff. Some of Pete's other videos show some amazing skills, such as climbs up the lower Waterfall. Now, my take on this may change if I ever ride GC, but I have to agree with Dale here as he is the super-uber-master guru and I believe what he says. Plus, he rides a Turner.
    I AM JUST A JERK

dft
    mtbr member
    does anyone have directions to this ride. i am going out there next month and really want to do this ride, but can't find a writeup of it.

thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, the guy from Seattle really impressed me... I expected Dale to do really well, since he is a standard I try to measure up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I LOVED GC when I rode it with Dale and the gang. Funboarder was there too. True, the end is very technical and overall it's a very difficult ride. Long, hilly and technical does not make for a ride for newbies...but oh so much fun if you're into torturing yourself (which I am). I rode everything on my Burner. I only have a HT right now as I'm waiting for my Dean FS to arrive but once it's here, I'll be looking to ride GC again, and again and again!!!

Find your way out to White Tanks.....

Find your way out to white Tanks. From Phx and east valley locations, take I-10 west to Loop 303, then north to Olive. Take a left and head west on Olive and will take you directly into the park. Here's my MAP of the route we take when we ride GC. The trail head is located on Black Canyon drive which is the first left after the gate house.

Bring armor for the DH and your climbing legs for the long sustained climbs to get to the top. Don't forget to take the little side trail to Willow Springs, a great place to take a break!

Quote Originally Posted by dft
    does anyone have directions to this ride. i am going out there next month and really want to do this ride, but can't find a writeup of it.

thanks

CrazyEye

Great site

Great Site...I can't wait to go home and watch the video's (blocked at work).

Elitest thrill junkie
    Goat Camp is definetly the most difficult DH in the valley and not to be taken lightly.
    So, harder than holbert? (longer obviously), but is it more technically difficult?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    So, harder than holbert? (longer obviously), but is it more technically difficult?
    Haven't ridden GC yet, but all signs point to "YES OH GOD YES". According to those who have ridden both.

It sounds like a pretty daunting challenge, and I suspect you'd really like it. I rode Holbert for the first time in many years a couple weekends ago and I felt like I was way over my head in a couple sections. Long sections. Okay, I was NOT over my head in a couple sections, but otherwise ...

pl
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

dft
    mtbr member
    Find your way out to white Tanks. From Phx and east valley locations, take I-10 west to Loop 303, then north to Olive. Take a left and head west on Olive and will take you directly into the park. Here's my MAP of the route we take when we ride GC. The trail head is located on Black Canyon drive which is the first left after the gate house.

Bring armor for the DH and your climbing legs for the long sustained climbs to get to the top. Don't forget to take the little side trail to Willow Springs, a great place to take a break!

thanks a bunch. we are going their persidents weekend. if you want to ride it, your welcome to join us and show it to us.

Drugstore Trailrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I've ridden the Goat Camp Loop DH three times, and Holbert too many to count. The Goat Camp DH is very much more difficult than Holbert, or any of the other SoMo DH trails you have ridden before.

The biggest problem is the 13+ miles of hard trail riding before the GC downhill make it impossible to get up there on a real DH rig, or to wear full armor, but for those last two miles it sure would be nice to have the big bike.

It's a real ass-kicker, and not a trail to ride solo if you are going to do the full loop.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn
    I've ridden the Goat Camp Loop DH three times, and Holbert too many to count. The Goat Camp DH is very much more difficult than Holbert, or any of the other SoMo DH trails you have ridden before.
    absolutely! everything on SoMo, except viejo, is baby stuff compared to goat camp, and even viejo is a LOT easier than goat camp. holbert is buff in comparison.

here's the best i can describe it. on 24th street, take the tough right switch to the left turn through the rock squeeze box section, steepen it by 10 degrees, throw in a few more 2' ledges for good measure (on the turns, of course), mix it up with baby heads, soccer balls, and tombstones, and extend it continuously over 2-1/2 miles. now you've got goat camp. AND there is no shuttle. you've either got to die with your big bike up the longest climb in the valley, or die with you little bike on the descent.

i'll be leading a ride on it during the spring fling for those who are still interested. that said, it is the best ride in phoenix.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn

The biggest problem is the 13+ miles of hard trail riding before the GC downhill make it impossible to get up there on a real DH rig, or to wear full armor, but for those last two miles it sure would be nice to have the big bike.

It's a real ass-kicker, and not a trail to ride solo if you are going to do the full loop.

John W.
    Well...I have a new weapon that seems perfect.

I also like all forms of pain.
    Last edited by Jayem; 01-26-2006 at 07:12 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    holbert is buff in comparison.
    Best line I've read in a long time. Thanks Richard.

dft
    mtbr member

one quick question after looking at the map. what is the reason to take the long route at the beginning (the yellow) when you could just take the red trail labeled MQ? are you missing any down with that?

Good Warm up before the big climb.....

The extra distance gets you all good and warmed up before you start the big climb. Jumping on Mesquite (MQ) trail right at the beginning takes you straight up with out much of a warm up. Taking Ford Canyon over to Waddell adds about a mile and half of some fun singletrack before the grueling climb.

one quick question after looking at the map. what is the reason to take the long route at the beginning (the yellow) when you could just take the red trail labeled MQ? are you missing any down with that?

I love too, but I will be down in Tucson at the 24HOP wrenching with DurtGurl for a few solo riders from Ohio.

thanks a bunch. we are going their persidents weekend. if you want to ride it, your welcome to join us and show it to us.

Ouch, I am hot!
    I love too, but I will be down in Tucson at the 24HOP wrenching with DurtGurl for a few solo riders from Ohio.
    Wrenching. I thought you were riding with Vato.

As far as GC goes, I have decided to keep the Turner, for now, and am getting it spiffied up for more action. Any planned GC rides, other than Spring Fling, in the next couple months or so?
    I AM JUST A JERK

Nope, Vato found another sucker......

Maybe the weekend after 24HOP for a GC ride........

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Wrenching. I thought you were riding with Vato.

As far as GC goes, I have decided to keep the Turner, for now, and am getting it spiffied up for more action. Any planned GC rides, other than Spring Fling, in the next couple months or so?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    never mind... i need to pay more attention

banned
    Umm...some interesting comments here.

Goat Camp is my favorite trail in AZ. I wish we had been able to take some time and session parts like the Spiral Staircase (which is in the video BTW), etc. but as it was we were running late due to some slow climbers and a major mechanical in the group near the top of the DH.

So instead of stopping and capturing additional bits of the techy stuff, it was a straight shot down to the car so we could start our ten hour drive home. It was a great way to cap off a five day AZ trip.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Umm...some interesting comments here.

Goat Camp is my favorite trail in AZ. I wish we had been able to take some time and session parts like the Spiral Staircase (which is in the video BTW), etc. but as it was we were running late due to some slow climbers and a major mechanical in the group near the top of the DH.

So instead of stopping and capturing additional bits of the techy stuff, it was a straight shot down to the car so we could start our ten hour drive home. It was a great way to cap off a five day AZ trip.
    Glad to see you post here again, thanks for the quality videos Pete.

dft
    mtbr member
    The extra distance gets you all good and warmed up before you start the big climb. Jumping on Mesquite (MQ) trail right at the beginning takes you straight up with out much of a warm up. Taking Ford Canyon over to Waddell adds about a mile and half of some fun singletrack before the grueling climb.
    thanks. as long as it not wasted up/down riding. if they both essentially climb the same elevation, but one does so over a longer period, that is fine. i just don't want to add in ups and downs for the hell of it if the down parts are nothing to write home about.

Look at the profile at the bottom of the map. It climbs gradually to point 3# and then it's a one mile gradual twisty downhill before the first and steepest climb, starting at point #4. Try it once and if you don't like, ride up Mesquite on later rides. Adds some fun before climbing for the next 7-miles.

thanks. as long as it not wasted up/down riding. if they both essentially climb the same elevation, but one does so over a longer period, that is fine. i just don't want to add in ups and downs for the hell of it if the down parts are nothing to write home about.

dft
    mtbr member
    Look at the profile at the bottom of the map. It climbs gradually to point 3# and then it's a one mile gradual twisty downhill before the first and steepest climb, starting at point #4. Try it once and if you don't like, ride up Mesquite on later rides. Adds some fun before climbing for the next 7-miles.
    cool, i didn't mean to keep buggin gyou. i guess if someone really wants a direct route and doesn't mind hike-a-bike, they could HAB 3 miles in reverse to reach the high point, then descend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    absolutely! everything on SoMo, except viejo, is baby stuff compared to goat camp, and even viejo is a LOT easier than goat camp. holbert is buff in comparison.

Ummm, I watched the video, I looked at all the pics of it I could find, and I'm not seeing it being harder than the SOMO stuff - am I missing something? Is it possible that people aren't taking pics of the hard sections? Everything I've seen looks pretty much like Corona Loma - some pics showed a tough switchback - but it didn't look much tougher than stuff on Mormon or Geronimo - help me out here, I drive from LA at least once a year to ride SOMO - but I've skipped Goat Camp 'cause I had heard it wasn't all that tough...

btw, I would be riding a VP Free - so unlike Pete's video, I'd have a more capable bike - and yes, I understand that it's a long tough climb, but I've done plenty of that on the Free when the payoff is there on the downhill...

come on those who are talking up Goat, show me the money shots (of the trail freaks!)

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    Ummm, I watched the video, I looked at all the pics of it I could find, and I'm not seeing it being harder than the SOMO stuff - am I missing something? Is it possible that people aren't taking pics of the hard sections? Everything I've seen looks pretty much like Corona Loma - some pics showed a tough switchback - but it didn't look much tougher than stuff on Mormon or Geronimo - help me out here, I drive from LA at least once a year to ride SOMO - but I've skipped Goat Camp 'cause I had heard it wasn't all that tough...

btw, I would be riding a VP Free - so unlike Pete's video, I'd have a more capable bike - and yes, I understand that it's a long tough climb, but I've done plenty of that on the Free when the payoff is there on the downhill...

come on those who are talking up Goat, show me the money shots (of the trail freaks!)
    Ummm, yeah it's worth doing, ride it next time you're here and decide for yourself if it's worth the stop. Pics never really seem to capture what a trail is really like, but you can look here for pics.

Not a Barry supporter.
    I ride SoMo all the time b/c it's the closest trail and while National is technical in some spots, the DH on GC is technical for 3 miles. You skip from one big rock to the next. It's the best ride in the city by far. Check it out and you'll dig it too.

Like Mike said, pics never do a trail justice. Plus, when you're riding it, you're not thinking of taking pics. You're just thinking of surviving to the next drop. Ride it, you'll like it.
    Last edited by Crash_FLMB; 01-27-2006 at 05:00 PM.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ride SoMo all the time b/c it's the closest trail and while National is technical in some spots, the DH on GC is technical for 3 miles. You skip from one big rock to the next. It's the best ride in the city by far. Check it out and you'll dig it too.

Like Mike said, pics never do a trail justice. Plus, when you're riding it, you're not thinking of taking pics. You're thinking just thinking of surviving to the next drop. Ride it, you'll like it.
    sounds like I may have to try it....I'll send in DFT as a "probe" he LIVES for long drops of "vert" and technical trails - and he knows the toughest socal trails to compare to

but it's sounding better and better

It rains here. :(
    Like Mike said, pics never do a trail justice. Plus, when you're riding it, you're not thinking of taking pics. You're thinking just thinking of surviving to the next drop. Ride it, you'll like it.
    Hmm..where were you when I was defending my report on Cave Creek Go John?

This is like ditto to what I said about Go John trail. That's why I only post easy pics.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Hmm..where were you when I was defending my report on Cave Creek Go John?

This is like ditto to what I said about Go John trail. That's why I only post easy pics.

Hmmm...I've never ridden that but I'd be up for it. Plus, I've only been in AZ for 4 months so if it was before then, I was hanging out in the WA board.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Granny
    we can just hit milagrosa then, or green mountain.

thanks

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider

Like Mike said, the video does the trail no justice. The beginning of the decent is easily 10 degrees steeper than Corona Loma, and the rocks are much more varied in size and shape. The trail is getting more traffic so it is starting to clean up a bit. The video only shows one real technical section (the Spiral Staircase) and the line the rider took is the "cheating" line. The real line is down the chute, or to the left (not that I could ride either).

The VP-Free seems like the perfect steed for that trail. Good Luck!

Not a Barry supporter.
    Yeah, the guy from Seattle really impressed me...
    Yea, it's not hard to impress someone when you only ride with them ONCE! Get on the MTB again and join us for some rides PUNK!
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    This section looks like an ancient side walk that was jack hammered by earthquakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ouch Rodney... you hurt my feelings...

Holbert, Sunday.... be there... I'll be with the same crew I was with at Goat Camp (with the Palomino and the Blur). I'll be on the Dambala (or the Liquid).

Yea, it's not hard to impress someone when you only ride with them ONCE! Get on the MTB again and join us for some rides PUNK!
    Last edited by funboarder1971; 01-27-2006 at 07:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I rode (or should I say walked) Milagrosa last week for the first time. Very comparable to Goat Camp... except Milagrosa didn't have all the loose rocks all over the place.

Given the choice, I'd rather ride Milagrosa again than Goat Camp. Either is a good choice for a skilled rider.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny
    we can just hit milagrosa then, or green mountain.

Granny
    Milagrosa definately has some flow, hoping Goat does as well.
    Anyone been on Aspen Draw since the fire? I remember getting some pie at that shop off the hwy, then a month later it was gone from the fire. I think Green Mountain is in the same area, would like to add that ride as well.

I rode (or should I say walked) Milagrosa last week for the first time. Very comparable to Goat Camp... except Milagrosa didn't have all the loose rocks all over the place.

Given the choice, I'd rather ride Milagrosa again than Goat Camp. Either is a good choice for a skilled rider.

mtbr member

Goat Camp madness

GC is the most difficult trail in Pheonix, by far. The climb is much longer that you would expect to find in the middle of Phoenix. The DH is about as technical as it gets. It may not have as many big ledges as some of the South Mt. stuff but in is constant, there is no relaxing anywhere from the time you point the front tire down.
    The best I've got through GC is three trips over the bars and somehow I managed to pull that off in the rain. Most every other time it's been a little riding with a lot of crashing going on....of course that is what makes it awesome.
    I may be up for a President's weekend ride there. Post up if you think it is going to happen.
    AKA: G-wat

banned
    Sep 2005

Hey thanks for the maps! I have been talkin' to Jayem about our trip out there next weekend. These maps will help a lot in case he is unable to H/U w/ us. Is GC located N or S of Phoenix. We will be coming by way of Flagstaff & Sedona

Granny
    Bugaroo,
    We'll definately be out there President's weekend, and are stoked on riding Goat. I'll post when we know the exact day, and hopefully we'll see you out there.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by bugaroo
    GC is the most difficult trail in Pheonix, by far. The climb is much longer that you would expect to find in the middle of Phoenix. The DH is about as technical as it gets. It may not have as many big ledges as some of the South Mt. stuff but in is constant, there is no relaxing anywhere from the time you point the front tire down.
    The best I've got through GC is three trips over the bars and somehow I managed to pull that off in the rain. Most every other time it's been a little riding with a lot of crashing going on....of course that is what makes it awesome.
    I may be up for a President's weekend ride there. Post up if you think it is going to happen.

West side....

Goat Camp is located in the White Tanks Park located west of PHoenix. If yo uare coming from Flag, take I-17 south to Loop 101 and go west and loop around until you get to Olive. Take Olive west for about 12 to 13 miles and this will take you straight into the park.

Here is a LINK to the White Tanks web site for more info on the park and other parks maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Hey thanks for the maps! I have been talkin' to Jayem about our trip out there next weekend. These maps will help a lot in case he is unable to H/U w/ us. Is GC located N or S of Phoenix. We will be coming by way of Flagstaff & Sedona

banned
    Sep 2005
    Goat Camp is located in the White Tanks Park located west of PHoenix. If yo uare coming from Flag, take I-17 south to Loop 101 and go west and loop around until you get to Olive. Take Olive west for about 12 to 13 miles and this will take you straight into the park.

Here is a LINK to the White Tanks web site for more info on the park and other parks maps.
    Thanks Rider...I have to tell you that I am impressed with the amount of feedback from your forums. I was told not to expect much in the way of advice by asking here. If you guys ever make it to Abq. area...be sure to post up. I will make sure you get the best we have to offer!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Goat camp trail sissies

I rode this trail on my single speed ( hiked the first part of mesquite ) hardtail no armor in june ( it was unseasonably cool 90's). And I have to say it was difficult not to dab a little but I rode 90 % maybee. I have to say it was a hoot. And for technical trail it is in great shape, due to the Al the park voulenteer that I met on the trail. He was clearing loose rocks and cutting back brush on the trail. If you see him out there make sure you thank him for this trail would not be so good without his help.

banned
    Sep 2005

What gear ya runnin'...

Quote Originally Posted by shoupdawg
    I rode this trail on my single speed ( hiked the first part of mesquite ) hardtail no armor in june ( it was unseasonably cool 90's). And I have to say it was difficult not to dab a little but I rode 90 % maybee. I have to say it was a hoot. And for technical trail it is in great shape, due to the Al the park voulenteer that I met on the trail. He was clearing loose rocks and cutting back brush on the trail. If you see him out there make sure you thank him for this trail would not be so good without his help.

It's the 10% you walked that I travel 350 miles for

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoupdawg
    Hmm...might be a case of no pictures, no ride.

That being said, the first time I rode GC, I was with a guy on a rigid who rode a whole hell of a lot of it. F-that, I need every inch of suspension I can get on this thing to just make it down without seriously hurting myself.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast