dirt visionary

Go John revisited

Well it had been almost 2 years since I was out to ride go john and surround trails out in cave creek. I must say the go john loop is one of my favorites in the valley . Such a well built/routed trail . Fun the whole way with some good climbing. Sorry pics were with cell phone.

Our day started off making a delivery way out past the 303 so I figured instead of wasting gas for just the delivery I would take the bikes along and we would revisit Go John and check out all the new work we had seen going on last time we were out a couple years back .

I must say Thursday was such a nice day to ride and I am glad we got some trail time n . We started at the parking lot for go john headed counter clockwise enjoying the flow and views. Ran into lots of hikers all were nice enough to stop and let us pass. All of them said hi and we must have had 3-4 conversations with different groups as we rode. Now why can't the hikers on SOMO act like this ???

We also came across our first rattler of the season .Came around a corner spoted the bastard about 25+ feet away as he was slowly moving across the trail . Figured since he was slow and stretched out I could fly by his rear. As soon as I got with in 20ft the lil guy noticed us and decided to coil quick enough he had striking range. Didn't mess with it or anything.

Was going to walk the bike in between him and me abut he was just too pised . So I go to pick my bike up above my head and decide to walk around off trail to get past . That sucker watched the whole time and had a serious lock on my white/orage bike. Even after walking around and getting back on trail 20ft plus past him he was still watching me intently.Never came across such a grump rattler.

On we pedaled warning hikers about the PO'ed rattler finally coming to our first stop (outside of the rattler and a quck shot fo air ) for a breather and to take in some views

On we pedaled . As we pedal I keep thinking to myself how much I like the flow of this trail and how much fun I was having .

We were now well onto the backside making our way up the back climb getting closer back to parking lot when we noticed that there was a connector to overton (this wasn't there prior) so I decided we should go the way to extend our ride a bit and I knew it had to come around the mt down to the parking lot somehow. What I didn't know was that it was indeed DOWN the whole way with very very very minimal climbing .

Here is the view from the top

On our second loop we stopped to get a few pics. heres one from midway down.

Now here's the good part. We had soo much fun on overton that we HAD to do it again . But guess what ?......... We pedaled up the switchbacks making only one stop to regain ourselves. If any of you have made the climb on a bike over 6" you know the pain I speak of. I am usaually no real big climber but we sure earned another sweet downhill run with some of the best views and flow I have experienced in awhile.

overall we were served with some great views,great weather,great flow, some tech climbs, some good long climbing, nice hikers, sweet smooth pumpy swoopy downhills and of course some exposure yeah !

OH the only gripe I have about the trails is the are wide for atvs but there is some single track on the back side
    Last edited by clockwork; 03-07-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    i was just thinking about go john the other day - it's been over 2 years for me and i was wondering if they had done any more sanitation near the go john/overton split.

thanks for the post - i need to get back out there!

and yes - every time i've ridden there the hikers have been the most pleasant i've encountered at any of the mountain preserves and regional parks in this state.

livin' the dream......
    I've only ridden there once, might have been 2 years ago and had a blast. Once you are on the backside of the mountain, you feel like you are in the middle of no where.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    i was just thinking about go john the other day - it's been over 2 years for me and i was wondering if they had done any more sanitation near the go john/overton split.

thanks for the post - i need to get back out there!

and yes - every time i've ridden there the hikers have been the most pleasant i've encountered at any of the mountain preserves and regional parks in this state.

Yeah couldn't say last time out there was a nasty climb to get to the top of the switchbacks to head back to the parking lot. The overton connector and all that rerouting was still being worked on.

banned
    Is that a SS friendly trail? The last time I rode out there was at least 8 years ago, and it wasn't much fun at all, I remember doing a lot of pushing up loose shale in a lot of unrideable parts. But now since I live about 10 minutes away from that park, sounds like I should give it a go again...question is on 575 or SS?

Dad trying to keep up!
    Aug 2009

Go John and CC-Spur Cross

Trail is definitely single speed friendly. We ride out there regularly with the Flat Tire Bike shop crowd and half of them are on singles. Back of the hill connects to open desert and some good trails/roads/tracks all the way to Spur Cross Conservation area. More hills, downhill fun, and polite hikers. I prefer the loop heading from Cave Creek to Spur Cross first and finishing with either Go John or Overton, then east on the Slate Trail, cross Cave Creek (usually dry, except for now) and back into town. 21 miles. This was the route of the CC Bike Festival last November. Tell the grumpy Somo hikers to stay there, and ride here. Not a loop you want to do on a DH bike though. More cross country style.
    Jeff from Cave Creek

dirt visionary
    My sxtrail is my do it all . At 36lbs, adjustable travel fork and a granny I can go just about anywhere. Had an epic for a short spell and I always felt like I was going to break it .

mtbr member
    Nice write up Clock. Trail looks nice and tac.
    I'd love to join you on your next visit.

Maui Grown
    Hey Clock, where is this trail? How do you get there? Thanks!
    When each day of your life begins with the thought of where you will ride today, tomorrow, this weekend, next month, when your mind becomes so tuned to the rhythm of two wheels that you only look for places to ride, when you picture yourself standing on every mountain top in sight about to drop into a trail, and when someone asks you "Are you still spending all your time riding your bike?" and you answer "YES!" (like there is anything better to do) You have found your passion.

dirt visionary
    Carefree highway and 32nd street. Cave creek park $6 bucks to enter.

banned
    I was just there this weekend Jason, and it was all CW said it was. Hope to see you out there.

.dhf.

Chunky Monkey

Cave Creek Park=BAD

Too many hikers with dogs off leashes, too many hikers, too many horse riders, too many snakes, waaaay too many peccaries, way too many pissed off people to with i pods to ruin your groove.. Oh and not to mention fat old ladies doing number two at the top of the saddle....by the bench even. No don't go there. Trails are beat up-down. Horse tracks everywhere. No flowers blooming either. Can't ride a hybrid or a cross. No canal banks. Little bags of dog poop everywhere! Stay at Somo, White tanks, Hawes. But Pima and Dynamite is primo this time of year!

Thx,
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    OMG that trail has changed. Like Eyescream said that trail used to be a beast with baby head boulders everwhere on the trail and I made the mistake of going clockwise the first time. This was back in 2002 or so. Very nice!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Maui Grown
    eyescream - so you live in this part of town now? Cool, we should hook-up and ride it sometime. It's been a long time.

azdog - you live by me too, lets hit it up. Looks like a cool trail.
    When each day of your life begins with the thought of where you will ride today, tomorrow, this weekend, next month, when your mind becomes so tuned to the rhythm of two wheels that you only look for places to ride, when you picture yourself standing on every mountain top in sight about to drop into a trail, and when someone asks you "Are you still spending all your time riding your bike?" and you answer "YES!" (like there is anything better to do) You have found your passion.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I rode it about a month ago...for the first time in about 12 years! I did a CW loop up the switchbacks and around. Section of the backside(eastside) is really loose still and basically a HAB. Once you get up through the saddle its back to fun! Same thing, I added a Overton loop, also clockwise and the climb is gradual to the intersection of Go John. From there it is a blast back down the switchbacks to the TH. I did it on my SS w/ 34x22 gearing and the only thing unrideable was that steep loose crap on the backside. It would be really nice group ride area, like Bikedad said you can add in the Spur Cross trails or even ride to Anthem(anyone ride that section yet?). The $6.00 entrance fee is a bit steep tho.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I live in Anthem and have rode the Maricopa trail from Daisy Mountain and Gavilan Peak to just where it meets New River Rd. Time issues. The trail connects with Go John and Spur Cross Ranch, haven't made the whole run yet, but would like to. The trail from Anthem to the 2nd crossing of Skunk Creek Wash is mostly doubletrack and gets sandy by the washes but definitely fun, once you cross the wash it turns into mostly singletrack. Let me know if anyone wants to make the trek...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks Ken, would like to try that sometime...especially before they turn on the furnace for summer!

Need more cowbell
    Sunday morning ride out of Flat Tire Bike Shop will be a great tour of these for anybody who hasn't been on them.

They ride from the shop to Spur Cross trailhead...take Spur Cross to Maricopa Trail....Maricopa Trail to Go John...Go John to Overton...Overton to Slate....Slate to Surry road and back to the shop.

Great Loop. I will probably be there Sunday if anybody wants to join....

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    eyescream - so you live in this part of town now? Cool, we should hook-up and ride it sometime. It's been a long time.

azdog - you live by me too, lets hit it up. Looks like a cool trail.
    Definitely. I'm out of work around 3 now with the Daylight Savings change.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Definitely. I'm out of work around 3 now with the Daylight Savings change.
    Seriously guys, we should. It's been a long time since we've all ridden together. I'm in the vicinity of Pima/Dynamite now. My schedule for the next few weeks is REALLY flexible.

dirt visionary
    HAB where? I didn't encounter any except for a few small bursts my ass couldn't clean .

Was thinking of going back out tomorrow but then its also wed morning shuttles. Hmmm... I guess I could ride my sxtrail for shuttles instead of the dhr then head up to cave creek to get my pedal on .

Decisions decisions.... Oh snap might even have to consider picketpost . So damn nice out not to pedal.

mtbr member

Go John, waaaay back

I lived in Desert Hills back 14-15 years back, the Go-John was epic. There was this climb out of the parking lot going east then north east. It was really nasty and LONG, then there was a pitch at the top that was one of those "on a good day you can". They took it out. Next, the route along the back going straight west was strewn with HAB's several of them, end to end. Some local pro's we rode with couldn't even make some of them. Then, as you descended down into the river crossing nearing the end before you turned back south for the parking lot you hit "Snake Alley" always ran into rattlers there in the thick bush.

Now its all rideable even SS friendly, my how things change. (never ever saw hikers and Ipods ? whats an Ipod?)

Steve

Maui Grown
    Quote Originally Posted by eyescream
    Seriously guys, we should. It's been a long time since we've all ridden together. I'm in the vicinity of Pima/Dynamite now. My schedule for the next few weeks is REALLY flexible.
    I'm only 10 minutes from Pima/Dynamite, I live in Grayhawk. A buddy and I have been putting in some miles after work at the Alma School/Dynamite trailhead lately.

We should plan something maybe next week. Only days I can't ride are Wednesdays.

banned
    Jason check your pm's...Bryan give me a shout too

Downhill Messiah
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    The $6.00 entrance fee is a bit steep tho.
    You can park outide the park and pedal in, we do it when we ride there. Which is rarely, since you cant shuttle it, and im a lazy biatch!
    Madspeed always prevails!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    HAB where? I didn't encounter any except for a few small bursts my ass couldn't clean .

Was thinking of going back out tomorrow but then its also wed morning shuttles. Hmmm... I guess I could ride my sxtrail for shuttles instead of the dhr then head up to cave creek to get my pedal on .

Decisions decisions.... Oh snap might even have to consider picketpost . So damn nice out not to pedal.
    Trying to remember,again I rode it CW. After you hit the bottom, I stayed right(left takes out to Spur Cross) you climb in and out of a couple of creek crossings, then after the 3rd or 4th creek bed the (heading south) trail climbs up through some loose, sketchy, rocky crap up to a saddle, then it drops you back down into a pretty good size creek bed.

I don't know, maybe I got off the main trail or I was just a super wuss that day Going down it (CCW), no problems.
    Definitely would ride it again, would like to try Whiskers loop sometime that sounds like a blast!

Need more cowbell
    I think I will be out there Sunday with the Flat Tire crew... I believe it's a 9 Am start from the shop.

Need more cowbell
    Here is a video from the Cave Creek Bike Festival of this loop during the race.

http://behouserimages.smugmug.com/Sp...18978740_TsA7T

Members who have read this thread: 0