mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Gnar Gnar for a noob?

I bought my first bike in October, and just now hit up SoMo. Figured I was going to do Desert Classic yesterday, but nutted up and did Mormon>>National>>Corona de Loma>>Warpaint. Kicking myself for not going out there sooner.

Now I'm wondering whether or not I should start hopping on the Gnar train, as I tend to ride the brakes too much still. I'm really wanting to keep getting better and I don't feel like some of the beginner classes offered elsewhere are going to be challenging enough, but would like some input as to whether a noob on an AM rig = bloodbath.

On a high note, I just ordered a Canfield Jedi, so I'll have one less excuse once I get it all built up.

-Cody

Elitest thrill junkie
    A noob on an AM rig on Holbert=bloodbath.

If you can handle going down all of national though, you can probably handle Geronimo and 24th, if you are taking it slower and well-protected. Holbert isnt all that much harder, but has a lot of sharp square-edged impacts and steep rollers that don't look quite possible. They kind of all have these, but Holbert has more. I'll let Bob speak for the gnar-train, but those guys are usually great. It's probably best to work on what you know until you feel comfortable on National and Corona Loma, then you won't feel too out of the norm on the other trails. Beware though, the slack headtube angle of the canfield will make a nice difference and the DH trails have a tendency to chew up and spit out AM bikes, due to components and geometry (in other words, "trash"). It might be best to wait till you got the Jedi, that'd be my advice.

Make sure you have good armor first. I'm sure on a lot of Gnar trips you'd be just fine if you are going down National and Corona Loma.

Remember, if you're using National to practice and get used to tech riding, that's usually like 10x harder than most people's idea of "tech" riding. Ever so often someone comes to the Gnar or Shortbus shuttles visiting from somewhere else in the country. They assure us they can handle "tech" because where they ride is "really rocky", but when they get out on it it's an eye opener and they get hurt. Mostly because it's so far past what they think "rocky" and "tech" is. If you're practicing on National, you already know what this is exactly.

You GOT to use the brakes, especially the front one! Just got to be leaning WAY back when you do and not grab a handful as panic response when your front wheel hits an object
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    With a jedi you can plow so you might as well remove the brakes.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Do it. Your body knows how to make more blood.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

parenting for gnarness
    The gnar gnar van is usually a very friendly, welcoming group. But, at the same time its prolly not a place for very new riders. Do a few rides first with a smaller group so you get to know your bike, tech riding, and ride with others so you get pushed but also have a say in the pace and the action. Post up rides here or respond to invites. Then hop on the van after a few reps. Not trying to talk you out of it, just going on what you posted -- if you've downplayed your ability then by all means go for it and have fun.

Armor is the most important thing you can do for yourself - $100 now will save you a lot of money later. I can give you a set of used-up knees, but used-up armor isnt really worth it. Get a set of elbows and knees for sure. Tons of threads on this forum and others, do some searching, goto some LBS's that have a nice selection. Rage in Scottsdale carries a good selection, I think Sunday in Phx does too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm already rocking the knees, elbows, and full face. I plan on getting a Leatt and chest/spine protector soon, though. I'll take everyone's advice and hold off on getting too crazy for a few months. I have a lifetime to kill myself.
    Last edited by wcj1983; 01-07-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by wcj1983 View Post
    I'll take everyone's advice and hold off on getting to crazy for a few months. I have a lifetime to kill myself.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa there....That wasn't my advice! Between Cholla and me, you can tell which one is the father.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Ahhhh yeah...

Another one joins the dark side. Welcome my son!

Don't feel to hesitant to come out and join the gnar! We welcome everyone with open arms. The shreds that ride with us are all great guys and girls and are just out there to have fun! If you can make it down corona loma you can ride everything else on SOMO. Where your armor, tune your bike and bring a good attitude any you'll fit right in! Feel free to call or email with any questions. 480-331-4481 or gnargnartours@gmail.com

The GNAR Awaits!

Dirt Bike Craig
    FWIW I took a good friend of mine out this past Saturday with the Gnar Gnar crew for his first time on SOMO (Keep in mind we have 15+ years motocross experience). I took him down Geronimo twice on his Spesh Camber 29er. His first time he walked a couple intimidating sections but his second time down he rode everything! He's been talking about a wanting a DH bike & I think that sealed the deal.
    Gnar Gnar Tours is great! Beware, its addictive.
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Coming from someone who first rode with GnarGnar on my XC Trek Fuel @Geronimo, these guys are totally noob friendly. Ive learned a lot from just talking with everyone I met in the GnarVan, and made a few riding buddies as well.

Just keep in mind that the DH bikes are a lot more forgiving, so you're not going to always be able to plow it like they do.

In my opinion, if you take the chunkiest parts of national, and picture the whole trail like that...that is Geronimo.
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

Vitamin Bike Added
    Geronimo is chunky but almost as flowy as National. With a Jedi, FF, leatt and full body armor you'll be able to read the paper and drink a coffee on Geronimo while going over the bars on a switchback
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The Jedi probably won't be fully built until March, but I'm going to try to get the armor together ASAP...I even talked my buddy at work into getting some armor - he's on a hard tail, but I figure I can try and convert him to the dark side as well.

Bob, I'll call you soon...I definitely want to see what I'm missing out on, even if it's just another reality check that I have a lot of work to do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    A noob on an AM rig on Holbert=bloodbath.
    In other words, make sure the Go Pro is rolling....