mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Ghetto tubeless pressure with slicks

What's the highest pressure you can use on slicks with the ghetto tubeless method?
    Wanna convert my extra rims for commuting tubeless cause it works so good for trail riding.

I run about 30 PSI or less on my knobbies (except when setting up, then no more than 40 max).
    Last edited by sandmannn69; 08-01-2010 at 05:57 AM.

banned

Ghetto Tubeless Slick Association Study

Quote Originally Posted by sandmannn69
    What's the highest pressure you can use on slicks with the ghetto tubeless method?
    Wanna convert my extra rims for commuting tubeless cause it works so good for trail riding.

I run about 30 PSI or less on my knobbies (except when setting up, then no more than 40 max).
    sm:

There have been several studies done on this very subject by the GTSA and it somewhat depends on the model and manufacturer of the slick you will be using and the rim you will be mounting the slick onto.

For example some of the more popular slicks can run around the 48.29 PSI range or others run at the 47.38 range. Sometimes if you are riding in over 110 degree conditions for more than three hours you should consider dropping the tire pressure 1.23 PSI from those previousy mentioned amounts.

If you are trying to get the exact maximum pressure before blowout the GTSA recommends increasing the above pressures in .392 PSI increments until the tire blows out. Then you can run your replacement tire 2.19 PSI lower than your blow out pressure.

Let us know what worked for you, so we can incorporate additional field result data to the study. Most of the original data was collected from lab testing so actual riding results will improve future pressure recommendations.

I believe Durtgurl has worked on this study and may have better beta at this time.

Hope this helps you riding experience.