Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Ghetto tire gage

So I was in the bike shop today looking for a good tire gauge for my new tubeless/Stans setup, and didnt see one that was 29er specific. They were all 0-120 psi, no good for my ultra low pressures I plan on running (30-40 psi). SO I was home tonight and was lookin at the 3.99 auto guage and saw that it reads 0-60 psi, and went about converting it to presta compatible. basically you unthread the end of the guage, cut off the brass rod, and thread the guage back on with a drop of locktite so that the threaded end sticks out another half centimeter. this allows the guage to seal on the end of the presta valve. This wont work with road bikes!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ggnarl; 09-18-2008 at 08:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nice job! I love hacking tools to make them do what they're not supposed to (enhancing).

You could also just get a $25 pump with a gage built in.
    "Doing the right thing" is like water. It's good for all living things,and flows without thinking about where it's going.

Meatbomb
    30-40 PSI is 'ultra low' ?

I run 35 PSI and figured it was high.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    30-40 PSI is 'ultra low' ?

I run 35 PSI and figured it was high.
    Yeah, that's nothing for tubeless. I run 25-35 PSI tubed...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    you could also just replace the gauge on your floor pump with one that only goes to 60 psi.

mtbr member
    And If I had some rope I could build a bridge.

EDR
    I like your ingenuity but just for future reference, they do make these...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Right. they are a pain though, more for emergency use than everyday tire pressure monitoring needs. Plus, if you cut that with a saw, youd have nothing left!

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Marijuana: The mother of all invention.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i too run 22 to 27 range .--( 35 to 40 is way high )---------i would have to re-valve my suspension to run that , and have less traction .
    and i also keep an eye on my pressure all the time.

in the summer you will go from 25 psi starting in your house --to 32 psi at the saddle ,---------to keep your bike working perect you will want to re-set it before you rip down

I love bike!
    29er specific?

Well I don't have a 29er so this is completely useless to me

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    29er specific?

oh now you know this has nothing to do with wheel size

this will work fine on anything as long as you have the correct "guage range" for what you are doing !!

EDR
    Right. they are a pain though, more for emergency use than everyday tire pressure monitoring needs.!
    I don't follow why you feel that way. I've used them for years. Everyday even.

Plus, if you cut that with a saw, youd have nothing left
    I have no idea what you are talking about on this one...

Dave

Im with you man

29er specific?

29er specific tire gauge... Well I have one here for $100 and Yes it only works with 29 inch tubes, why? I don't know ....But you need it...
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah, I have a different pump each for my 26" hardtail, my 700c roadie, my 26" FS, and I just special ordered a hybrid pump for my 69'r :-)
    "Doing the right thing" is like water. It's good for all living things,and flows without thinking about where it's going.

mtbr member
    I dun like em cuse

1. You have to leave the presta valve closed while they are on else air will leak out while you ride, from bumps unseating the presta vale id guess

2. too easy to lose.

3. you have to remove them to change a tube.

4. Why bother having presta valves if you run these?

need I go on? I was being facetious about cutting them.

O.K so all you low pressure guys, list your body weight, tire size and pressures, out of curiosity.

I am a clydesdale-light at 230lbs. I run 30-front 40 rear. I run 2.1 rear 2.3 front. I never pinch flat, ding rims, etc. If I run less my tires squirm on corners and off camber bumps.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ggnarl
    So I was in the bike shop today looking for a good tire gauge for my new tubeless/Stans setup, and didnt see one that was 29er specific. They were all 0-120 psi, no good for my ultra low pressures I plan on running (30-40 psi). SO I was home tonight and was lookin at the 3.99 auto guage and saw that it reads 0-60 psi, and went about converting it to presta compatible. basically you unthread the end of the guage, cut off the brass rod, and thread the guage back on with a drop of locktite so that the threaded end sticks out another half centimeter. this allows the guage to seal on the end of the presta valve. This wont work with road bikes!
    Huh! Could I do the same on one of the shrader tire inflator gadgets for my air compressor???? I hate using those stupid presta adaptors when blowing up my tubeless tires and have been eyeing the fancy schmancy Air Bob but it's 90 bucks! http://www.notubes.com/product_info....roducts_id/335

mtbr member
    you could easily adapt a tip from a floor pump that has a hose to an air compressor. I believe silca pumps makes a replacement head that is available, I dunno how much it costs though. you would just need an adapter of some kind to connect the hoses. I use a co2 cartridge inflator on pesky tires, seems to work fine, and certainly cheaper than 90$ if you buy the big box of cartridges from a place like big 5 or god forbid wallmart.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Never have to worry about all this crap with tubes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Professional Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    This sh!t AGAIN?

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    have been eyeing the fancy schmancy Air Bob but it's 90 bucks! http://www.notubes.com/product_info....roducts_id/335
    Mmmmmm, Air Bob.......
    Can you REALLY have too many tools? I think not.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    Mmmmmm, Air Bob.......
    Can you REALLY have too many tools? I think not.
    You're right!! that's generally my moto. Same with bikes. More is better I would have spent that much driving on my recently canceled trips to Durango and NM. And it'll work on everyone's tires presta OR schrader including the 4Runner. There's my rationalization... that's all it takes. And I just found it for $18.5 cheaper at www.ebikestop.com !

im4Gsus

ms kaboose to the rescue!

no more
    i have one for sale, a large astrix monk.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Last time I checked, you still need to put air in those tubes. Thus the need for a Presta adapter. Or did I miss a newfangled airless tube?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Last time I checked, you still need to put air in those tubes. Thus the need for a Presta adapter. Or did I miss a newfangled airless tube?
    No need for a presta adaptor if you don't run presta tubes, although I've yet to drill out some new rims on one of my bikes. I was more referring to the air compressor and pressure-gauge need, but in any case I do actually use a presta adaptor ever so often to put some fix-a-flat in my tube, but otherwise I don't have to worry much about these types of things. I like to get people's panties in a bunch, but I've also said before that if you live in the low elevations in AZ, yeah, you pretty much need some sort of sealing-system, whether it be from tubeless or slime. Otherwise, for those of us in the higher elevations (5000' and higher) it's not nearly so critical, and we just don't have the same concerns. If I lived down there I'd probably be running something similer to what is mentioned in the tubeless/ghetto threads.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast