Not a Barry supporter.

Ghetto SS in da house!

So I picked up one of those supercheap Nashbar steel frames and built it up with some spare parts. I had some help from DurtGirl (fork and v brakes) and CycleJunkie (bar ends and Singulator) in that department though....THANKS GUYS! (But if ya need them back, lemme know.) I only have about $100 bucks into the bike including a new frame.

I'll have a rear disc brake on it this weekend. I had the V-brake on there for the first ride b/c I didn't have a Hayes adapter.

This'll have to hold the SS fort down until I sell a bike or two and hop on the 29er SS bandwagon. Anyway, be nice on the comments....plz?!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Occidental Tourist
    pretty nice for a ghetto ss
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Meatpuppet
    Ghetto???

that thing is sa-weet......

i've got the real ghetto ss in my front room.
    let me know if you need to feel better about your bike, well go for a ride
    My Third Eye Has A Cataract

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    This'll have to hold the SS fort down until I sell a bike or two and hop on the 29er SS bandwagon. Anyway, be nice on the comments....plz?!
    Sweet!! Glad to see the bits being used and -no- I do not want them back any time soon! I'm also glad to see what appears to be a wee bit of enthusiasm for riding again. Perhaps the new job has changed your perspective on life, riding in AZ, and everything? I think you need to bring the new SS out to ThNR tomorrow!

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Sweet!! Glad to see the bits being used and -no- I do not want them back any time soon! I'm also glad to see what appears to be a wee bit of enthusiasm for riding again. Perhaps the new job has changed your perspective on life, riding in AZ, and everything? I think you need to bring the new SS out to ThNR tomorrow!

Yep, the new job has given me new life! I'm pretty stoked about it and about riding again. I still can't ride as much as I'd like b/c my wife is the new manager on the block so she has to work until 8 PM. So I'm home with the kids once I get off work. I'll definitely be out n about this weekend strictly on the SS since the Dean's wheels aren't built up yet.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

CrazyEye
    Right on, it reminds me of Captian America's bike. I was looking for 29er SS also, but found sweet deal on a used Monocog 26". I love it, can't imagine spending 2k on a SS...

Fragile - must be Italian
    Nice job, Rodney. It's almost as ghetto as my old Trek SS...but you do have me beat in the color scheme. Looks like Captain America or Superman has his bike stolen!

On that note (ghetto), there's nothing quite like the feeling of spending some serious saddle time on something that cost less than most bike parts these days. I have about $200 into my Trek, which is *less* than what it cost me for 1 Magura Marta brake for my Giant.

Hey I just had an idea. Why don't we turn this into a theme: "Ghetto Bike Day"? In other words, bring out your beater for a ride. Prizes go to the funkiest bike. T100 (DD) would be a perfect spot for this.

Thx...Doug

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Nice job, Rodney. It's almost as ghetto as my old Trek SS...but you do have me beat in the color scheme. Looks like Captain America or Superman has his bike stolen!

On that note (ghetto), there's nothing quite like the feeling of spending some serious saddle time on something that cost less than most bike parts these days. I have about $200 into my Trek, which is *less* than what it cost me for 1 Magura Marta brake for my Giant.

Hey I just had an idea. Why don't we turn this into a theme: "Ghetto Bike Day"? In other words, bring out your beater for a ride. Prizes go to the funkiest bike. T100 (DD) would be a perfect spot for this.

Thx...Doug
    Thx Doug. And I think the Ghetto Bike Day thing is a great idea. Of course, some people like Cyclejunkie couldn't partake as his stable is bad a$$. But this is a really cool idea. MMP would be a great place for it too. Those loops are great for SSing.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Hi!!!
    Crash --- what size of frame is that? I too have been looking at that frame and is it me or does it seem like their TT's are rather short?

Glutton for punishment
    Nice color scheme!

While blinglespeeds are all that, there's something gratifying about getting out and having a fun ride on a bike that's cobbled together from spare parts. I did that after getting laid off from a long term job a couple years ago - rode the snot out of that old steel Diamondback frame, incl. SART in Cali...ahhhh

Kinda makes me want to put the SS together and go out for some abuse...

ScottN

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Crash --- what size of frame is that? I too have been looking at that frame and is it me or does it seem like their TT's are rather short?
    The TT is a little short but I can deal with it at $45 for a steel frame. This one is a 19" or medium according to Nashbar.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Fragile - must be Italian
    Thx Doug. And I think the Ghetto Bike Day thing is a great idea. Of course, some people like Cyclejunkie couldn't partake as his stable is bad a$$. But this is a really cool idea. MMP would be a great place for it too. Those loops are great for SSing.
    Ha - you're right about that one. Some people on this board don't even know the definition of "old school" or "ghetto" with their stable of $3000+ bikes. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Now before anybody accuses me of anything, I'll come right out and say that I'm not a true ghetto boy in that I don't own a POS bike out of necessity. I'm a wealthy guy that just happens to like his old POS bikes and refuses to get rid of any of them.

Now for you guys that have no choice but to own old school bikes and ride them with a smile on your face (probably faster than most guys on their expensive bikes), my hat is of to you. You're a better man (or woman) than I am...

Thx...Doug

my knees hurt
    Bike looks great....doesn't matter if its "ghetto" or not, just as long as you ride it.....

Let me know what you're thinking for a weekend ss ride....I might be in.....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you would achieve if you knew you could not fail.

http://endurancerehab.com/

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedsycip
    Bike looks great....doesn't matter if its "ghetto" or not, just as long as you ride it.....

Let me know what you're thinking for a weekend ss ride....I might be in.....
    Jim and I are riding tomorrow somewhere. He's not a fan of MMP but I love the tracks out there. Maybe hit that up Sunday morning-ish...not too early. Or if ya wanna head somewhere with us tomorrow mid-morning, let me know.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Flmb?

Fast Lanky Mountain Biker?
    Foolhardy Loser Mountain Biker?
    France Lick My Butt?
    Flicky Light Mountain Bike?
    Foes Litespeed Marzocchi Bianchi?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by V02 deficient
    Fast Lanky Mountain Biker?
    Foolhardy Loser Mountain Biker?
    France Lick My Butt?
    Flicky Light Mountain Bike?
    Foes Litespeed Marzocchi Bianchi?
    Ha... I always figured Rodney was a mt biker from Florida who crashed a lot, but his love of the Pacific NW has me confused.

my knees hurt
    Jim and I are riding tomorrow somewhere. He's not a fan of MMP but I love the tracks out there. Maybe hit that up Sunday morning-ish...not too early. Or if ya wanna head somewhere with us tomorrow mid-morning, let me know.

Heading out on the road tomorrow, going to try for 70+ miles, fixed gear with Usery Pass, Saguaro Lake out to Beeline on the agenda.....I will see how I feel for Sunday, I don't know if I'll have any knees left
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you would achieve if you knew you could not fail.

http://endurancerehab.com/

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    I'll come right out and say that I'm not a true ghetto boy in that I don't own a POS bike out of necessity. I'm a wealthy guy that just happens to like his old POS bikes and refuses to get rid of any of them.
    Doug, I hear ya on this. I think that most wealthy people are also "smart" about their money. Call it cheap, thrifty, frugal or whatever, but it is my opinion that there is a strong correlation between being wealthy and being cheap. I mean this in a very positive way, even though cheap normally has a negative connotation. I just don't think being "cheap" is a negative.

PS: Crash, nice bike!
    I AM JUST A JERK

Large wheels & one gear
    [quote=Dirdir] I just don't think being "cheap" is a negative.
    quote]

I agree with you there. In my line of work, I get tips from poor to middle class people way more than those who are wealthy. I figure one reason why they are wealthy is because they watch where they spend their money be it not tipping their carpet cleaner or whatever service they have hired to arguing over 2 dollars here and there. I guess two dollars saved here and there adds up. I wish sometimes I had that mentality (cheap mentality). I would have saved alot of money over the years.
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

[SIZE=1]ChemBright Carpet & Upholstery LLC[/SIZE]

Ouch, I am hot!
    [quote=Konapdlr]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I just don't think being "cheap" is a negative.
    quote]

I agree with you there. In my line of work, I get tips from poor to middle class people way more than those who are wealthy. I figure one reason why they are wealthy is because they watch where they spend their money be it not tipping their carpet cleaner or whatever service they have hired to arguing over 2 dollars here and there. I guess two dollars saved here and there adds up. I wish sometimes I had that mentality (cheap mentality). I would have saved alot of money over the years.
    I am not sure that it is the fact that a dollar or two here or there adds up, although that is a factor. I think the biggest factor is simply that there is a difference in how people view and think about money.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by V02 deficient
    France Lick My Butt?
    I like this one...
    Can you hear me now?

I am Walt

Flmb

A nod to Rodney's route finding skills...

F-ing Lost Mountain Bikers...
    Ride more; post less...