Staying out of the way

Getting started riding in Tucson

Well, after a long haitus I have decided to get back in to riding. I grew up around biking as my entire family (dad's side) has been heavily involved in riding for years. In high school, I did a lot of road riding in a Gilmore team frame, but eventually got out of it and let life get in the way.

Fast forward more than a few years (I'm 35 now) and I have a computer job and long commute that have turned my spare tire in to a full set of tires. I got in to vehicle offroading and went so far as to start www.wheelingarizona.com. Eventually my wife and I had too many kids to fit in our 4runner, so I got out of the sport and sold the website, but I still miss being on the trail.

When my dad bought his new fancy-schmancy CF road bike, he gave me his old but trusty Allez Pro, but I just couldn't seem to get back in to road biking. That's when I started really thinking about MB's. I guess I miss being on the trail.

Well, my wife and I have just picked up some bikes and we are ready to start getting some exercise. I'm horribly out of shape and a little concerned I'm going to fall over dead as soon as I leave the driveway, but still willing to try. We are looking for some easy rides to get going at first, probably all pavement or super easy dirt as we will be towing the kids in a trailer (isn't that cute ). I live about 2 miles from Fantasy Island in Rita Ranch, but that's going to have to come later. I'm a much more aggressive person than my wife, so I expect I will be on the real dirt fairly soon, but I don't want to die on the trail and ruin someone elses good riding day. I'll just have to be patient.

I was thinking of some of my neighborhood area, and then moving up to the Old Spanish Trail area. The wife and I aren't crazy about riding on major streets, especially with the trailer full of mini-me's, so I'm looking for low traffic areas. I heard there is a trail near the Rillito, but I don't know much about that. I'm looking for stuff like that. I need to keep it fresh so we don't get too bored.

Thanks,
    Erich

EDIT: This is my Dad's side of the family: http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/154550.php

"Yabut"
    Yeah, if you want to stay off the streets, hit up the Rillito bike path. Just get on it where it goes under Swan, and you can take it all the way to I-10, if you want.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

workin' it Administrator
    There is a bike trail on the side of Old Spanish Trail that runs from Camino Seco to the Saguaro National park. It is wide and adequate for cycling with little ones. From houghton on there are very little interuptions with cross roads. Start at Target there at 22nd and Harrison and you will only need to cross at Houghton. Or park at the Church at Houghton and ride to towards the park and the only other roads you will cross will be minor residential roads.

There is also the Saguaro National Park which has the Cactus Forest Trail and very easy but fun section of single track and the loop road which is one way and again totally adequate for bikes and little ones. It is 8 miles or so but has one huge climb at the back end that may make you want to try this one later.
    Try this: HTFU

Staying out of the way
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    There is a bike trail on the side of Old Spanish Trail that runs from Camino Seco to the Saguaro National park. It is wide and adequate for cycling with little ones. From houghton on there are very little interuptions with cross roads. Start at Target there at 22nd and Harrison and you will only need to cross at Houghton. Or park at the Church at Houghton and ride to towards the park and the only other roads you will cross will be minor residential roads.

There is also the Saguaro National Park which has the Cactus Forest Trail and very easy but fun section of single track and the loop road which is one way and again totally adequate for bikes and little ones. It is 8 miles or so but has one huge climb at the back end that may make you want to try this one later.
    We used to ride the monument loop way back in the day. Nice to know they put the seperate path in there now. We always rode on OST. I haven't been out that way in ages!

Thanks for the tips all!

workin' it Administrator
    just to be clear: the cactus forest loop is a nice mountain bike trail with some rocks and is single track. It is an out and back type thing and can have hikers and horses on it. I don't think that you could pull a trailer on this.

and

the loop road is a one way road that cars can take but it is slow and meandering and cars expect to see bikes on it. Unfortunately there isn't a separate bike path along this road but the road is safe and easy to ride with the occasional car that is on there.

I may have been unclear in my previous post. Sorry about that.
    Try this: HTFU