mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Getting back into it

Hey everyone - so about.....two years ago I bought a bike with the noblest intentions of riding every day and putting hundreds of miles on it at trails wherever I could find them. Sadly, my intentions conflicted with work, family issues and medical issues and my bike hung on the wall in the garage and I could only get to a trail maybe once every couple of months.

Schedule and everything else is finally falling in place where I have actual free time to go out and ride. I just recently moved, off the 101 and Union Hills now and don't know the area trail wise very well. What are some of my closer rides I can get to? Looking for more of a beginner route to start with to get my legs and lungs built up to do the big climbs. Thanks everyone, hope to get some dirt on my tires soon

My other ride is your mom
    From your location, you have Deem Hills and the Sonoran Preserve...fairly benign and not to climby. If you are coming off the couch/desk as indicated...I'd seriously recommend just riding something flat initially for a week or two to get some butt time in the saddle and get your lungs/heart/legs used to some effort as you note in your comment. Head out to Reach 11 and just hammer it...it's flat but you can push your speed to get your cardio kickstarted.....or do some sprint runs to the grocery store, target, wal-mart, whathaveyou. There's nothing more demoralizing than heading out to a trail and getting your arse kicked by being out of the game. Combining errands close to home on the bike is a good way to get saddle time and get errands done in a less bummer way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Awesome advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    From your location, you have Deem Hills and the Sonoran Preserve...fairly benign and not to climby. If you are coming off the couch/desk as indicated...I'd seriously recommend just riding something flat initially for a week or two to get some butt time in the saddle and get your lungs/heart/legs used to some effort as you note in your comment. Head out to Reach 11 and just hammer it...it's flat but you can push your speed to get your cardio kickstarted.....or do some sprint runs to the grocery store, target, wal-mart, whathaveyou. There's nothing more demoralizing than heading out to a trail and getting your arse kicked by being out of the game. Combining errands close to home on the bike is a good way to get saddle time and get errands done in a less bummer way.

mtbr member
    It's not sexy, but you are right next to tons of canal miles to get you back on your your your feet. Look at a Google map of the area around 75th Ave and bell, and click on bike routes, it'll all highlight in green.
    Or try searching the forum for 'westwing' it's northwest of you and I think there's some stuff out there too.
    (Maad's suggestions are good too)
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

Control Freak
    Maad has really good advice...

If you ever want to ride in the east valley look me up im available most fri and saturdays and sunday mornings...heading out to Hawes today around 2pm

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks all, definitely makes sense to do ride around my neighborhood for a couple weeks. I remember when I first decided to get into it I hit up Deem Hills and it killed me, was too out of shape. Will also check out Reach 11. Thanks guys

mtbr member
    I too am coming off being away from my bike
    I live near I-17 and 101 and would be able to meet you for a pedal..
    Fridays are always good..
    Mike

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i was hoping to be out at hawes by now but i'm still getting bombed with orders coming in.

Go Speed Racer
    I live in the same area and have a similar story as yours. I got back into the sport about two years ago. I started out at thunderbird conservation park. There are trail heads at 59th and 67th ave, just north of the 101. It was the perfect spot for me to get back into the sport. I would offer to show you around, but I am having surgery this week and will be down for a few weeks. I also agree Deem and Sonoran preserve are great also. The good news is you live very close to some great trails. See ya out on the trails!

Also, out at T-Bird I suggest trying out the H-4 and H-1 trails to start, they are great for getting back into it. I agree Deem can be a little intimidating, and Sonora Preserve has a LOT of climbing...

Here is a map of Thunderbird: Thunderbird Conservation Park

And a GPS track of what I would think would be a great ride for getting started...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I live at 67th Ave and Union Hills. You can hit up Thindbird and Deems if you want to ride from your house. Sonoran is great and close. You can do a mellow ride there if you stick to the south sections. You are also a 20 minute drive from BCT at Emory Henderson and T-100 at 7th St. south of Thunderbird.

mtbr member
    I am at 75th and Union and will ride the brown belt on the SS just to get some time in or ride to T-Bird to get time, some dirt and yoga pant sightings in. Its pretty boring, but not bad with some tunes going in one ear. When I raced years ago, I got "base miles" in on a roadbike and I hated it because there always seemed to be a little bump or curb I wanted to hit! I am available to ride most weekends (Saturdays early or late, Sunday all day) and most weekdays after 3pm except Wed. which is BMX night with my kid. PM me if you want to ride a bit.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks all for the replies, I'll hit some of you up for rides for sure later. I got on my bike and did about four miles around my neighborhood. I went up to Thunderbird to check it out with the kids in a hike. Pretty sure I didn't jump on the H1 trail suggested, because it was crazy steep and rocky...we essentially followed everyone else who was already hiking, which looking at the map I think was the H5. I'll look for H1 next time around. Superbowl today though and bachelor party for my bud next weekend, but after that I'm golden

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im in the same boat as the OP, its been several years since I have rode on a consistent basis. Spent the last 2 days "attempting" to do Deem Hills. I learned 2 things from those trips #1, im severely out of shape and #2 those climbs are pretty intense for someone just getting back into it. May go check out Reach 11 this week too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgeball2d View Post
    .. I just recently moved, off the 101 and Union Hills now and don't know the area trail wise very well. What are some of my closer rides I can get to? Looking for more of a beginner route to start with to get my legs and lungs built up to do the big climbs. Thanks everyone, hope to get some dirt on my tires soon
    Sonoran... Good smooth trails, but it will require good lungs and climbing legs. I say these a good for the beginner since they are not very rocky, but if you are out of shape the climbing can get to you. Still work the climbs as best you can and ride the descents and ever time focus on getting more of the climbs done. This way you will build you legs as you ride.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    I live at 67th Ave and Union Hills. You can hit up Thindbird and Deems if you want to ride from your house. Sonoran is great and close. You can do a mellow ride there if you stick to the south sections. You are also a 20 minute drive from BCT at Emory Henderson and T-100 at 7th St. south of Thunderbird.
    BCT from Emery Henderson has gotten rather rocky at the start. Nothing an experience rider cant handle, but unless you are used to rocks it can really through you off. I had a neighbor get very upset and bail out from a ride there. I did not take him personally, but I heard about it afterward. So these are have less climbing per mile, but both T100 and BCT can be intimidating for a new rider.

I will say this. Mtn biking is not easy. We are blessed here with lots of trails and lots of options, but it all involves work. Work either climbing killing you lungs/legs or working fighting through rocks. Pick your poison really. Personally I think it is better for new riders to start on smoother trails even if they require climbing. They are less likely to get in a bad crash like that. However trying to fight over rocks may look "impossible" and when they fall could be a big turn off. The best place to start learning with smooth trails and not too much climbing in Papago park in Phx.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.