Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Geronimo cherry popped; drop yr seat and hang on

Cenobite did it last week for the first time. Drew and I did Geronimo this morning for the first time and had a blast.

First off, beautiful morning for a ride.

We did it as a shuttle. Not knowing how short it is, we parked at 24th St. Bad tactical planning.

Anyhow, Geronimo was a hoot. Very, very fast. Little loose, off-camberish and kinda goofy up top where you lose a lot of elevation quickly. Part of that was just the unknown and not being familiar with what was coming next.

We put down a decently fast and pretty clean run, stopped to session a couple areas. My impression is that this is a fun trail to link with other stuff. There is zero climbing and almost no need to pedal at all except to maintain momentum through the switchbacks. It's not really what I consider overly technical and nowhere near the workout that National provides even if you shuttle it (from BV to Pima down Natty still requires quite a bit of pedalling).

At the bottom, we ended up climbing about two-thirds of the way up 24th St. just to see it, then turned around and bombed back down. Next time we'll leave the shuttle car at Pima, hit Geronimo, up 24th, up the rest of Mormon and then down Natty from the split.

Think we got a couple decent pics on Drew's phone that he should be posting up here in a bit.

mtbr member
    It isn't the same type of workout as national that's for sure, but if you push it the whole time and don't stop for breaks/session, trust me you'll feel it in a whole different way. Isn't it such a sick trail?

mtbr member
    Nice!
    Down gero and up 24th is a great ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    nm.

"No Clue Crew"
    I knew you guys would like it !
    If you don't climb up Natty then the 24th st climb wouldn't be too bad. I was pretty wupped by the time I hit it.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I thought for the first time today, midway down, that this is the type of trail that a FR or DH bike would be perfect on.

Yeah, 24th St climbing didn't seem so bad, but we were really fresh.

banned
    Yep, a bigger bike makes Geronimo pretty fast. It is in terrible shape right now though, it was much faster before the big rains.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Yep, a bigger bike makes Geronimo pretty fast. It is in terrible shape right now though, it was much faster before the big rains.

It was FAST this morning! Photos loading........Drew

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    I knew you guys would like it !
    If you don't climb up Natty then the 24th st climb wouldn't be too bad. I was pretty wupped by the time I hit it.
    Does NOT sound fun on a big bike.

"No Clue Crew"
    Photos from the AM. Not sure if people like all these, BUT I know when I'm at work photos like these make it tolerable

AM sun rise @ 24th street:

Right to the GOOD stuff. Blatant, Geronimo!!!!!

Me

"No Clue Crew"
    This was/is a really LOOSE trail! Soft sand in places and Lots of loose rocks!!!

Eyes close because I WAS SCARED!!!

Good shot of the "loose"

"No Clue Crew"
    This is a cool sequence:

Part #1

Part #2

Part #3

"No Clue Crew"
    Blatant!

The Grave 9

Again:

"No Clue Crew"
    Last 2:

Sharp Switch back!

I think I make the lamest faces!!!

"No Clue Crew"
    That's the look of concentration.
    Either that or you squezed the third brake too hard and your ass is burning !

As always- GREAT SHOTS !

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    That's the look of concentration.
    Either that or you squezed the third brake too hard and your ass is burning !

As always- GREAT SHOTS !

LOL...... I'll go with the third one thanks and get your **** fixed. The AM will be here soon!!!!!!!>............Drew

I love bike!
    Is that last pic the last left turn switchback before you get to the scout camp. If so nice job. I've ridden that trail like 2-3 times and I'm still afraid to try that one. If you miss it seems like really bad outcome. Not very confident with tight/steep switchbacks yet tho.

skilldest©
    did you use the motorola driod for pics?

mtbr member
    Having never done this trail but being intrigued by the photos, I have a question. How does it compare to lower National? I 'ride' lower National now and then, and don't own armor. Is it more/less difficult?

thanks

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Dave: Yeah, that's the last switch. I tried the inside line several times but couldn't ride it out. Drew got it first try. The outside line is really tough; neither of us could make that.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Is that last pic the last left turn switchback before you get to the scout camp. If so nice job. I've ridden that trail like 2-3 times and I'm still afraid to try that one. If you miss it seems like really bad outcome. Not very confident with tight/steep switchbacks yet tho.
    Yep. Last switchback and it's MEAN!!!!! You miss the turn and head off the cliff you have problems!!

Quote Originally Posted by _dragon
    did you use the motorola driod for pics?
    Yep. the Droid X and I'm really surprised how good they turned out. Not bad at all for a phone camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Walla
    Having never done this trail but being intrigued by the photos, I have a question. How does it compare to lower National? I 'ride' lower National now and then, and don't own armor. Is it more/less difficult?

thanks
    As a rider that LOVES National I found this trail "different". I can't say it's harder than lower, to me it was just different. This trail, to me, looks like its different every-time you ride it. With ALL the loose rocks and soft sand every ride and line would shift.

And lets not act like I can ride and judge at all, I just point the bike down hill and go ..............Drew

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Dave: Yeah, that's the last switch. I tried the inside line several times but couldn't ride it out. Drew got it first try. The outside line is really tough; neither of us could make that.

That outside line its a b****! I thought for sure it would be a breeze and the inside line would suck, but it was the other way around...........Drew

I love bike!
    Yeah my friend Tim and I asked a guy after riding Geronimo how to tackle that switch and he said the inside is the way to go too. Next time we tried it Tim was able to clean it inside but I was still skeered to commit. I'll get it tho.

Agreed about the trail changing. Seems like in the few times I've ridden Geronimo it was considerably different than the time before. May have just been my crazy head getting to me tho

Glutton for punishment
    You guys are killing me. I'm waiting and waiting for my replacement frame to get here...haven't been on So Mo or Geronimo in ages.

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    I did geronimo on a hardtail with a 100mm SID fork. I was doing good until I went over the bars and almost split my face open on a rock... will try again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast