Fragile - must be Italian

Geronimo and 24th/Mormon - "Superchunk"

Rode down Geronimo and slogged it up 24th/Mormon this morning for the first time since the big monsoon rains and...wow...was it chunky out there! I don't remember those trails being so chunky ever. I'm not too familiar with either trail, but the lines I do remember are all gone. And the areas that were somewhat chunky are now super chunky. Many parts of 24th/Mormon that were difficult to climb are now HAB.

It rained quite hard this morning just prior to me getting to the Geronimo trailhead, so combine the extra chunk with the wet sand/rocks, and my run down \was a bit sketchy. No matter...it was still good times.

So how long will it take for those areas to fill back in with dirt again? The PMP trails usually take 2-3 months to refill with dirt after getting rinsed clean, so I suspect the same will be true for SoMo.

Thx...Doug

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Rode down Geronimo and slogged it up 24th/Mormon this morning for the first time since the big monsoon rains and...wow...was it chunky out there! I don't remember those trails being so chunky ever. I'm not too familiar with either trail, but the lines I do remember are all gone. And the areas that were somewhat chunky are now super chunky. Many parts of 24th/Mormon that were difficult to climb are now HAB.

It rained quite hard this morning just prior to me getting to the Geronimo trailhead, so combine the extra chunk with the wet sand/rocks, and my run down \was a bit sketchy. No matter...it was still good times.

So how long will it take for those areas to fill back in with dirt again? The PMP trails usually take 2-3 months to refill with dirt after getting rinsed clean, so I suspect the same will be true for SoMo.

Thx...Doug
    No dirt needed... I liked the newly exposed chunk! I give it till about Nov to be "back to normal", but that's just a wild guess. Gotta love the monsoon season for cleaning up all those "cleaned up" lines

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    No dirt needed... I liked the newly exposed chunk! I give it till about Nov to be "back to normal", but that's just a wild guess. Gotta love the monsoon season for cleaning up all those "cleaned up" lines
    Don't get me wrong...I liked the newly exposed chunk as well. I'm always up for a challenge.

The only downside is that the trail is much less "fast and flowy" than it was before. The trail also now has some bone-breaking exposure should you make a mistake and hit the eject button. Definitely keeps you on your toes.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    I didn't find Geronimo to be different, other than sandy turns.
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I went down geronimo this am as well and agree with doug that it did lose a bit of its 'fast and flowiness'. I'm sure the big bikes will bed it down over time.

When did the boy scout camp sign get put up on geronimo? Are they trying to prohibit bikes on that part of the trail? If so, is there a bypass to continue to the bottom?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Nope, you can still ride down to the camp. They just want you to know that it is their property and that you should respect it. And yes, there is a bypass, but if someone does not show it to you, it is hard to find. I also rode Geronimo on Saturday morning and saw some degradation but it wasn't too bad. I give it three or four Wednesday morning shuttles and it will be back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    I went down geronimo this am as well and agree with doug that it did lose a bit of its 'fast and flowiness'. I'm sure the big bikes will bed it down over time.

When did the boy scout camp sign get put up on geronimo? Are they trying to prohibit bikes on that part of the trail? If so, is there a bypass to continue to the bottom?
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!