Thread: Geo Project

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Geo Project

Hello.

I was wondering if there were any geologists or similar on the forums that might know a bit about south mountains history? I'm doing a project in class about it and am having a hard time gleaming a good grasp of it off of the topographic and geologic maps. Any help is appreicated.

My other ride is your mom
    Topography gives you a hint of what's going on....telegraph pass is there for a reason. Is your paper due tomorrow?

mtbr member
    The eastern half of SoMo is a classic metamorphic core complex (MCC). The rock exposed in eastern SoMo is a Miocene-age granodiorite. The contact with the granodiorite magma chamber with the older preCambrian schist is visible in the roadcut just to the west of Telegraph Pass. Northeast-southwest-oriented extension unroofed the granodiorite (there are two schools of tho0ught on MCC formation)...should I go on? PM me and I can give you more info. Got my MS Geology at ASU studying under Steve Reynolds, THE metamorphic core complex god.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    Got my MS Geology at ASU studying under Steve Reynolds, THE metamorphic core complex god.
    I studied at UofA under George Davis.....THE other metamorphic core complex god.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Awesome GilaMonster, thanks for being so helpful. That's pretty much all I needed actually. I'm in the asu geo 103 class and decided to do my project on the geologic features of South Mountain. I'm pretty much done, just needed a little more history behind it. And yes, it's due tomorrow, though I don't know why that matters. I'm already on page six, so it isn't quite that I've blown it off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I studied at UofA under George Davis.....THE other metamorphic core complex god.....
    That is true, Maad, there are two giants in the metamorphic core complex world.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    That is true, Maad, there are two giants in the metamorphic core complex world.
    Lots of folks have contributed to this field.
    "The world is worse when you are behind a keyboard. The world is best when you are behind handlebars." M77Ranger.