Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8,944

    Geax DHEA UST/Neuron

    There are some screaming deals on the 2.3 UST version of this tire (guess I missed out on the TNT deal). Geax website shows this tire at over 1100g Can that be accurate? I see it listed at 940g on other sites. Anybody have a first hand experience with the ust version?

    How 'bout the Neuron. Looks like a good front tire but I think it's far too heavy for everyday up/down National type riding. Again, this is based on the Geax website for 2.3 Neuron...over 1100g. Am I right in my thinking?

    What are you Geax folks running for am type riding? FWIW these will be on 819 rims.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 01-06-2010 at 11:46 AM.

  2. #2
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Local Neuron Review:

    http://www.azfreeride.com/component/...on-tire-review

    Would do a review for the DHEA if they would last more than a couple rides...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,956

    I run the DHEA folding

    I use the 790 gram folding tire on my Motolite, at 25psi, ghetto tubeless.

    An excellent tire so far. To me it does not have the dead transition zone that some tires like the Maxxis DHF seem to have.

    It is also about 2.5 in size. It ghettoed up easy, and the sidewalls have survived a couple trips on Milagrosa, and numerous rides in Tucson Mountain Park, on some very rocky, seldom used, hidden trails.

  4. #4
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    I use the 790 gram folding tire on my Motolite, at 25psi, ghetto tubeless.

    An excellent tire so far. To me it does not have the dead transition zone that some tires like the Maxxis DHF seem to have.

    It is also about 2.5 in size. It ghettoed up easy, and the sidewalls have survived a couple trips on Milagrosa, and numerous rides in Tucson Mountain Park, on some very rocky, seldom used, hidden trails.

    You're doing better than me, I have a pile of 7 DHEA's sitting in my garage with torn sidewalls, and blown out beads. All running UST or ghetto. All different varieties of casings including the Rigid, TNT and UST both in single and dual ply. At one point 2 months ago I went through 5 DHEA's in 4 weeks.

    The Neuron has faired much better, but then again the newest version of the TNT Triple Compound DHEA isn't on the market yet.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rideflatout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    311
    I have a 2.5 UST Neuron on the front, and I really like it. So far it's only seen one run down Geronimo, and a 10 mile ride around Papago, so I can't attest to it's durability yet. It Mounted up easier that the TNT (not as tight) with my Stans Strips and I got it to seal and hold air with my floor pump.

    For a while, I had a DHEA UST 2.5 on the front (about 4 weeks and several shuttle runs) and I thought it was OK, but I like the neuron much better. Curious to see how it does on the back when my ardent wears out...

    Rage has some various sizes/styles in stock, so you can check them out in person there if you want to feel the sidewalls and the weight of them.

    And I run these on my Firebird (my only bike) so I use it for everything. I think they are similar in weight to nevegals with huge heavy DH tubes that I pinched every few rides. I can deal with a little weight to avoid fixing tubes on the trail.

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Neuron is good, and I like the way that the DHEA handles; but like SixSixtybrokenpinky stated, the durability is questionable. Rolls fast though and is cheap. So pick 2 of three; cheap, fast, strong.

  7. #7
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8,944
    Ya, for $24 I think I'll give the ust version a shot. I hope it fits the rear of my 575. If it's really like a 2.5 then it likely won't. In which case I'll have to use it in front. Plus I don't want a bigger tire in the rear than my 2.35 FA up front, which is like a 2.5 Minion is size.

  8. #8
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8,944
    Pulled the trigger. Not sure but I think the ust might be dual ply. Whatever. Even if it's a boat anchor if it lasts 2 or 3 months (wishful thinking) I'll get my 24 bucks out of it.

  9. #9
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Pulled the trigger. Not sure but I think the ust might be dual ply. Whatever. Even if it's a boat anchor if it lasts 2 or 3 months (wishful thinking) I'll get my 24 bucks out of it.
    They are blowing out the UST version, which is a true 2 ply in favor of the new compounds and TNT casing, which will be the new version. The UST is the thickest of the 3 versions. Also a 2.5 is a true 2.5, they are like a 2.7 Maxxis.

  10. #10
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8,944
    They are blowing out the UST version, which is a true 2 ply in favor of the new compounds and TNT casing,
    Well, that would explain the 1100+ grams Oh well, if nothing else it should make for a bombproof front tire if it won't fit in the rear.

    This thing is gonna add a 1/2 pound to my bike... ..........................

  11. #11
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,563
    Yeah, they included several extras in Rage's last shipment so I now have a big spare. I'm not having quite as bad luck as sixty with the DHEA but I did wear that thing down pretty fast. It made it to about 50% tread life before I tore the casing (plus it had multiple cuts just waiting to split open). Not complaining though, it's 1/3 the cost of a Highroller
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  12. #12
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8,944
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Yeah, they included several extras in Rage's last shipment so I now have a big spare. I'm not having quite as bad luck as sixty with the DHEA but I did wear that thing down pretty fast. It made it to about 50% tread life before I tore the casing (plus it had multiple cuts just waiting to split open). Not complaining though, it's 1/3 the cost of a Highroller
    I ran into you as you were coming up Natty the other day. I was coming down with Mike-e (I think...we never met before) and we chatted, right before the last descent, about tires for a few. That's what gave me the idea of giving the Geax a try.

    Maybe not the best tire in the world but Speshy, Schwalbe and Maxxis tire prices are just becoming ridiculous.

  13. #13
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,563
    I'm the worst for remembering people, I do much better with the bike they ride It is a bit unreal just how expensive tires have gotten but it just opens the door for someone else. The funny thing is that Maxxis was basically in the same position about 10-12 years ago and Michelin had the cool pricey tires.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  14. #14
    I am Doctor Remulak
    Reputation: AZ Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I ran into you as you were coming up Natty the other day. I was coming down with Mike-e (I think...we never met before) and we chatted, right before the last descent, about tires for a few. That's what gave me the idea of giving the Geax a try.

    Maybe not the best tire in the world but Speshy, Schwalbe and Maxxis tire prices are just becoming ridiculous.
    That was me on National when we ran into Ken, Mike-e is much younger than I am.

  15. #15
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8,944
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    That was me on National when we ran into Ken, Mike-e is much younger than I am.
    I knew it was Mike something...

  16. #16
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,563
    Cmon Mike, you should've ran with that one "Check out this video of me hitting this sweet jump"...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •