mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Geax DHEA TNT 2.3 for AM use?

Anyone have any experience with the Geax DHEA 2.3 front and rear for some all mountain use? I've read it makes a decent rear tire. I mainly ride south mountain and some hawes. I was thinking about the single ply tnt casing. They sturdy? Roll somewhat well?

I have a wtb prowler xt for my rear and while I like the tire it clearly doesn't like me. Have snake-bitten (~35psi +) it twice in the last 3 weeks and am sick of super-gluing it back together.

Any comments/suggestions?

mtbr member
    DHEA is an amazing rear for all mountain riding. It especially shines at 20 or so PSI tubeless but I'd imagine it's still good tubed for the same reasons (tread and profile). I can honestly say I have cleaned loose steep climbs because of that tire's grip that I couldn't before. Once again I've been using the UST version, but it has been plenty sturdy. I was actually using a Prowser UST before and I also had extremely bad experiences with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Oh, just to clarify: I'm running 35psi on Stans Flow rims using homebrew slime in a tubeless fasion. So twice now i've had rocks piece through tread and sidewalls, which totally shuts me down and I have to run it tubed.

EDR
    It's funny how two people can see the same tire so differently.

IMO the Geax DHEA 2.3 UST tire is the worst tire I've ever owned. Have been trying to kill it just to be rid of it. You know how every tire you've ever bought has awesome grip on the SoMo rocks for the first few rides, at least? This Geax tire never had traction. Not on day one, and on no other day since. Looks like it would, but would just spin out on everything, and every off camber step up sent the rear sliding abruptly rather than even thinking about hooking up and rolling over. I started at 28psi. The sidewalls are so stout on the UST version that I tried all the way down to about 22 psi. That was better but at my weight I wasn't too comfortable riding that low. I tried higher as well, no go.

Did I mention I absolutely hate this tire?
    TNT version may be a different animal, unless it's just the rubber compound that sucks, that could suck on both versions.

mtbr member
    That is funny, that sounds like the exact same tire version, psi, and trails I found it to behave in the exact opposite way. Maybe difference of suspension? or just riding style.. It seems like there are some tires that are just bad luck all the way for some people. I found mine with the Prowler MX, sounds like you have the claimed that title for the DHEA

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by tonebone2000
    That is funny, that sounds like the exact same tire version, psi, and trails I found it to behave in the exact opposite way. Maybe difference of suspension? or just riding style.. It seems like there are some tires that are just bad luck all the way for some people. I found mine with the Prowler MX, sounds like you have the claimed that title for the DHEA
    It is weird. I've been through a lot of rear tires and have never hated a tire as much as this DHEA. I'm not suggesting others shouldn't give it a try, I just never could get dialed in with it. The one thing I do love are the sidewalls, but it is a 1150g dual ply tire, essentially. Pretty darn heavy for a 2.35. But with weight comes durability of course.

Won't miss it though

I am Bob
    I've been using the TNT version for a while now and it works excellent for me. I'm a big fan of Geax TNT tires for my xc bike and big travel bike.

Pivotal figure
    I had decent results running a DHEA on back with a Neuron up front BUT the air pressure was very tricky to get right. I'm used to the normal setup where you get floppy feeling tires at low psi and bouncy, skippy at high psi. The difference with these was how narrow the range was between those 2 extremes. I could only get good traction within approx. an 8-10 psi range, from 25 to 35. As long as I stayed in that range it was good but outside it was a handful to control. At least they're pretty damn tough and the price is nice.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hrmmm. Lots of mixed viewpoints here. Maybe i'll keep looking. I'm sick of crappy sidewalls, but want to try to avoid dual ply.

mtbr member
    I like the DHEA, but had better luck with it on the front. It had a good feel in the transition zone.

In back it kind of seemed like it did not dig in, but rolled on top of the marbles, and lost traction. I found that a Minion DHF turned backwards seemed to dig down in and grab better.

I ran mine at 25psi front with ghetto tubeless, and 27psi rear.

mtbr member
    I don't see much talk on here about the wtb stout. I have the 2.3 in the front and prowler xt 2.3 in the rear and it has worked great for me.