Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mesa menace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    57

    Gary Fisher gone wrong!

    So I was out riding hawes and hit a little drop, next thing I know Im rolling on the ground with my bike behind me, the sub frame completely snapped, luckily I didnt get hurt, the worst part was carrying the pieces of my bike 2 miles back to the truck! The good news is I am all set up with a new frame and ready to ride!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gary Fisher gone wrong!-bike-crash-2.jpg  

    Gary Fisher gone wrong!-bike-crash.jpg  

    I have come to the realization I am that guy i used to make fun of!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GilaMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    894


    Looks like it broke at the welds? Glad you're okay!
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    242
    Glad you're not hurt...

  4. #4
    :\ ping of death
    Reputation: phoeneous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,028
    Damn, that sucks but it's a good thing you didn't get hurt aside from some bloodshed. How far is Hawes from Queen Creek?
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tankerblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    Damn, that sucks but it's a good thing you didn't get hurt aside from some bloodshed. How far is Hawes from Queen Creek?
    All depends on where you are in QC. From the 60 and 202 its about a 15min drive at most

  6. #6
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,395
    They always break there.....that's why they have a lifetime warranty, and it's that specific business/engineering decision of theirs that led me to sell my warrantied bike promptly and get one that does not rely on catastrophic failure as a "feature".....

    Glad you're not hurt other than the flesh wounds....

  7. #7
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,395
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    Damn, that sucks but it's a good thing you didn't get hurt aside from some bloodshed. How far is Hawes from Queen Creek?
    How far is google from you?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    They always break there.....that's why they have a lifetime warranty, and it's that specific business/engineering decision of theirs that led me to sell my warrantied bike promptly and get one that does not rely on catastrophic failure as a "feature".....

    Glad you're not hurt other than the flesh wounds....
    Hhmmmm, we have a 10 year old Fisher in the garage, and still going strong.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  9. #9
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,395
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Hhmmmm, we have a 10 year old Fisher in the garage, and still going strong.
    The later Fisher's prior to the complete absorption by the brand from the land of cheese and gravy have become a bit fragile......your's was built prior to that.....

  10. #10
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Cenobite39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,232
    Ouch!
    Pics of the new steed?

  11. #11
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,220
    Sucks it broke and you got scrapped up. Even cooler they got you riding again . Did they give you a stronger bike?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    378
    I think of my Fisher with the same reverence I do my craftsman tools(not boutique like snap on)but.....Great Warranty

  13. #13
    Eroding into the trail
    Reputation: DustyBones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesa menace View Post
    So I was out riding hawes and hit a little drop, next thing I know Im rolling on the ground with my bike behind me, the sub frame completely snapped, luckily I didnt get hurt, the worst part was carrying the pieces of my bike 2 miles back to the truck! The good news is I am all set up with a new frame and ready to ride!!
    Damn!
    Video of the getoff?

    A little dab of JB Weld and some duct tape & it'll be just fine!
    Gratuitous blood shot noted for posterity!

    Hope the warranty got you a better frame (better yet one from a different mfgr. that doesn't build Snap O frames).

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AKA Monkeybutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,318
    I broke three GF's before I realized I was either too big for them, to aggressive or they are built poor. I've been on Turner's since without any issues.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    172
    Ouch...glad no worse injuries..

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mesa menace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    57
    They wouldnt warranty unless it was orig owner and no modifications were done to the bike, fortunately for me I have some connections and pulled some strings and fisher made it faily easy, they sent me a 2010 Roscoe with headset and rear shock! The Roscoe is a much stronger frame and built a little more for my riding style, here is an almost built picture....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gary Fisher gone wrong!-new-bike.jpg  

    I have come to the realization I am that guy i used to make fun of!

  17. #17
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,220
    thats better
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    57
    Glad to see your back on the bike.....

  19. #19
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,129
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt View Post
    I broke three GF's before I realized I was either too big for them, to aggressive or they are built poor. I've been on Turner's since without any issues.
    Didn't you break the swingarm or rocker plate on your 6pack?

  20. #20
    :\ ping of death
    Reputation: phoeneous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    How far is google from you?
    Hard to say, Google is everywhere. Thanks for the help
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

  21. #21
    SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Reputation: longhairmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    The later Fisher's prior to the complete absorption by the brand from the land of cheese and gravy have become a bit fragile......your's was built prior to that.....
    35 years in Chicago, and i never head anything about gravy coming from Wisconsin.
    yes, their economy is based on cheese, but subsidized by Leinenkugel beer and issuing speeding tickets to Illinoisans.

  22. #22
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,395
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    Hard to say, Google is everywhere. Thanks for the help
    Don't thank me....Thank Google!

  23. #23
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Cenobite39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,232
    Very nice!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14
    I was following the OP down the trail that day, he had high marks going for style, but the dismount hurt his score...I give him an 8 (even w/ the blood). From 15 yards back, I was sure the snap I heard was his leg; thank God it was just the GF frame!

  25. #25
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    564
    There's a reason they have earned the nickname "Scary Fissure"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gary Fisher King Fisher Thread
    By THATmanMANNY in forum Gary Fisher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-24-2012, 12:49 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 11:33 AM
  3. '98 Gary Fisher Supercaliber vs New Entry Level Fisher
    By Old_Skewl in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 03:53 PM
  4. Gary Fisher (2005 King Fisher 2) vs IH (2006 Yakuza Sohon)
    By stevepark05 in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2007, 08:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •