mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Fury results and reflections

24 hr geared male solo

first timer.

6 - way tie for 12 laps. i was ninth with the slowest of 12. i am kicking myself for getting down at night thinking i was doing terrible. i took about 6 hrs off. all i had to do was one more stinkin' lap to solidify 4th place

this was about 122 miles according to my garmin 305

another dumb mistake - going out for final lap before sunset with Rx sun glasses. having to go slower because darker. finally taking them off... dark + near sighted + astigmatism = 2-3 crashes

final reflection, be better prepared for cold weather

i guess i am happy with 12....i never really slept, tossed and turned freezing. i should have just kept riding and maybe i would have got 3rd (15 laps). oh well

thanks

mx
    Last edited by mx_599; 11-10-2008 at 12:21 AM.

my knees hurt
    12 laps solo is no easy feat...great job!
    I was on a 4 man team...we had a blast...we did 25 laps and took 3rd place. No sleep here either, just stared at everything thinking you need to go to sleep but it never happened....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    24 hr geared male solo

first timer.

6 - way tie for 12 laps. i was ninth with the slowest of 12. i am kicking myself for getting down at night thinking i was doing terrible. i took about 6 hrs off. all i had to do was one more stinkin' lap to solidify 4th place

another dumb mistake - going out for final lap before sunset with Rx sun glasses. having to go slower because darker. finally taking them off... dark + near sighted + astigmatism = 2-3 crashes

i guess i am happy with 12....i never really slept, tossed and turned freezing. i should have just kept riding and maybe i would have got 3rd (15 laps). oh well

thanks

mx

Congrats on what you DID accomplish. No small task! I've never done a 24, never mind going solo.............good work.

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    24 hr geared male solo

first timer.

thanks

mx

Dude, doing what you did was awesome. Factor in what you learned (sleep/no sleep, weather, glasses/lights (i make the glasses error everytime)) and you are well positioned for your next effort!
    I tried 12 solo (very poorly), then worked the coffee stand for 12 hours....i don't think my body will recover for a while.
    Friend on mine riding duo went out a little before 5pm thinking it won't be dark for a while, despite my pleadings that he do as i was doing and mount his lights.....he rode half the lap in the dark, including the South ridge and cactus corner areas, no visibility at all....pretty amazed he didn't crash, then again it was a real slow lap for him.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was only there as a mech/support for a solo S.S. rider. You should be happy with what you did acheive. If you had won you would have received the same thing. Experience and that's it. Now my complaint. How do you expect people to pay $100 to race and not have better awards?

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy
    I was only there as a mech/support for a solo S.S. rider. You should be happy with what you did acheive. If you had won you would have received the same thing. Experience and that's it. Now my complaint. How do you expect people to pay $100 to race and not have better awards?
    We did the 24 hr - 4 Men Open and had a blast! This was the promoter's 1st year running this event and I though they did a great job overall. Was there room for improvement? Sure. But, I felt that I got my $$'s worth.

Results are posted up at - http://www.4peaksracing.com/results/2008-11-08_overall.txt
    Last edited by mcoplea; 11-10-2008 at 03:02 PM.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Poolguy- at a $100 entry- there is not much left in the pot after paying race expenses for paid staff, potties, park fees, insurance, NORBA's take, fuel and time to layout course, create and upkeep website, travel time for crews, cleanup afterwards, maybe a little in the kitty to help subsidize a rainy day race when turn out is poor, a little scractch for the promoter (so he can afford to not work and put on the next event) oh and awards.

I have only done two endurance races and completed neither, while wanting to do another soon. I have never been driving 8 hours to get to the race, or ran loops in the dark thinking about what award I am going to get for finishing well (or just finishing) but the REWARD at the end- whether I finish or not, place well or not. It is about pushing yourself until you see things at night and in the daylight, knowing that your energy drink swilling will leave you with the runs for a few days and hopefully not attack on the eight hour drive home. Making your muscles ache, bones hurt and ******* bleed when you break your softail shock in the second lap of seven completed (yes that sucked very very bad). It is about walking away from work on Friday with your coworkers thinking you must be crazy and it is joining them at the donut box on Monday knowing you earned that creme filled one in the middle. I have the only award I got from my first endurance race- my muddy, snotty and wrinkled paper number plate. It hangs just as proudly with the medals, trophies and swag I have actually won in the past.

SO to answer your question-How do you expect people to pay $100 to race and not have better awards?- I don't think many do expect them. Not bagging on you, just putting in the only real way I can explain it.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006

1st Timer

This was my first foray into a 24 Hour event and thought it was a blast - not just cause my 5-person team got 3rd! (YEA ). I think 4-Peaks did a pretty good job. A lot of work goes into organizing those events! (Too - like that they mentioned to be tidy with Gu wrappers and offered up Free Entry next year for someone to sweep the trail following the event!! ) Too, what great raffle prizes - not just bike socks, ya know?

Racers on the course rocked it too - an impressive group of riders! Loved the encouragement and courtesy. Super humbled when the 14 year old from the 2 person team that smoked it out there wizzed by with ease!!

Noob opnion - great time, great hosts.

Thanks to 4-Peaks and sponsors!! (Boy that Crank Junkies coffee tasted GOOD Sunday morning.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    thanks for the nice comments guys!

i am the guy on the brown ibis mojo. i figure there are not too many of them out there so maybe you might remember seeing me.

did you guys see that the Granny Gear races were cut in half for 2009? this is the 24hrs of moab people. this stinks. i think i am hooked.

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    Friend on mine riding duo went out a little before 5pm thinking it won't be dark for a while, despite my pleadings that he do as i was doing and mount his lights.....he rode half the lap in the dark, including the South ridge and cactus corner areas, no visibility at all....pretty amazed he didn't crash, then again it was a real slow lap for him.
    like the same time frame as me. then the sun went down behind mtn and it got dark quick. i guess i was thinking that they said 6pm, but really you needed light before then....or at least clear glasses!!!

second lesson: i think when i do one of these again, i will at least have a cheap back up light in pocket in case i don't quite make it.

mx

mtbr member
    I had a great time at the race - it has been a long time since I've been on that course and I had forgotten how much fun it is. I'm glad I only did 12 hours because my back was killin' me and I was starting to run into things on my 7th lap...

Bonus: Hot showers and complimentary chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice work, man. My first race was the Dust Devil beginner - I thought 15.8 miles was killer - can't imagine doing 122 over 24 hours.

I'm doing the 12-hour race as part of a 4 man team - to see if endurance is for me.

Keep it up!
    I haven't reported my missing credit card to the police because whoever stole it is spending less than my wife.

Salty Dog
    I got lucky. On a five person team with two lovely ladies. We had an agreement that since I am old I didn't have to do the graveyard shift. So I did two night laps early and went to sleep. They rode until 12:00 or so and then they all crashed and started over again at 0700. We finished a solid 6th out of 6 and had it nailed down. One of our riders broke his frame and then took my backup bike out on the same lap and flatted and had to walk it in.

A good time was had by all on our team and we have absolutely no complaints, other than not having enough riders out there. I hope the promoter is able to do this one again, with my participation.
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smartytime
    Nice work, man. My first race was the Dust Devil beginner - I thought 15.8 miles was killer - can't imagine doing 122 over 24 hours.

I'm doing the 12-hour race as part of a 4 man team - to see if endurance is for me.

Keep it up!
    yes, i read your blog.

4 men? looks like 10 hrs of light and a 15 mile course. maybe 1-2 outings per guy?

i think i might make the 12 hr event as well.

my goal next time is to get 150-175 miles. then for my 3rd i want 200. some of this i am sure is dependent on course though.

mx

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006

Photos?

Hey - do any of y'all know where to find the pix from the race? I saw all the photographers out there but did not see adverts for where to check out the shots!!

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    Poolguy- at a $100 entry- there is not much left in the pot after paying race expenses for paid staff, potties, park fees, insurance, NORBA's take, fuel and time to layout course, create and upkeep website, travel time for crews, cleanup afterwards, maybe a little in the kitty to help subsidize a rainy day race when turn out is poor, a little scractch for the promoter (so he can afford to not work and put on the next event) oh and awards.

I have only done two endurance races and completed neither, while wanting to do another soon. I have never been driving 8 hours to get to the race, or ran loops in the dark thinking about what award I am going to get for finishing well (or just finishing) but the REWARD at the end- whether I finish or not, place well or not. It is about pushing yourself until you see things at night and in the daylight, knowing that your energy drink swilling will leave you with the runs for a few days and hopefully not attack on the eight hour drive home. Making your muscles ache, bones hurt and ******* bleed when you break your softail shock in the second lap of seven completed (yes that sucked very very bad). It is about walking away from work on Friday with your coworkers thinking you must be crazy and it is joining them at the donut box on Monday knowing you earned that creme filled one in the middle. I have the only award I got from my first endurance race- my muddy, snotty and wrinkled paper number plate. It hangs just as proudly with the medals, trophies and swag I have actually won in the past.

SO to answer your question-How do you expect people to pay $100 to race and not have better awards?- I don't think many do expect them. Not bagging on you, just putting in the only real way I can explain it.

Word.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    As a fellow up to my earlier post. I wasn't trying to bash the promoter for spreading his money to thin. I understand trying to provide with little financial support. I don't have enough money in my family budget to race after baby #2. Anyone who went out there to race has to do it for the fun first and it was great to see everyones passion for their sport. I was just disappointed for the guys I was there to support to not receive anything when they did happen to win there classes. They weren't disappointed they all reached there mileage/lap goal. Thanks to everyone for saying hi to me while I sat by the fence all night waiting for riders.

In the rear with the beer
    For a 1st year, I think the event went great! No real big problems. I don't think any major injuries either. Lots of great people out there. Those teams still pushing at 3:30 in the morning were awesome! Given how well it went, I think we can expect bigger and better things as this event matures in the years to come.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"