Ahhh the pain....

Fun on the Kaibab

Read about it here...
    One Gear Ray: Memorial Munsters
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Give it a crank
    Sweet ride, nice read, congrats! A glance at your Stravalog show over 13K of climbing, that's a lot of climbing up there!

mtbr member
    very nice photos... Im impressed
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Another epic ride. Too bad I had to miss it, logistics.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Great pics Ray!! So that's the kind of ride it takes for you to bust out the camera, huh?

That was a wicked route, so many mentally challenging lows and sh*t-eating grin highs, that's the AZT & AES in a nutshell.

I did make it to the North Rim Sat night....9:30p!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ahhh the pain....
    Ha! yeah John, I had a hard time not taking even more pics if you can believe that!
    We were wondering about you Saturday night if you had made it to the rim. Glad it all worked out. Great ride!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.

Carnivore
    Ray, It was great finally meeting you on the trail. Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions the night before. You put in a strong ride even with your photo stops.

I had a GREAT time and felt surprisingly strong all weekend. I have never done more than 70 miles on a mountain bike and had never ridden a loaded bike like that so I was shocked that I was able to do 98 miles the first day. (Full disclosure: I detoured around the Point Sublime route due to a badly cut front tire and a suspect patch.) I ended up getting another flat on the same tire Sunday morning on the pavement when leaving the N. Rim. While fixing that I took the time to improve the patch to give me the confidence to ride the AZT from the Park boundary to the finish which was awesome. The rest of the ride went well and I felt really good the whole way. I finished a little after 3 pm and logged a total of 150 miles for the weekend. Everybody was accounted for by dark and we spent the evening around the campfire telling stories. This was a great first bikepacking route and now I'm totally hooked and looking for other adventures.

livin' the dream......
    Great write up and pictures! Strong work as usual Ray!!

mtbr member
    Nice to run into you and some of your fellow riders on Rainbow Rim on Sat. Everyone looked primed and ready for the long-haul. Impressive.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Ahhh the pain....
    Thanks all! appreciate the comments. As I've told a few others, my face still hurts from grinning so much.

@Chris: No problem, happy to share my experiences! The enthusiasm and support your family shared was second to none. And heck of nice maiden voyage for yourself. Glad to hear you're hooked!

@Rockman: I didn't know that was you on the RR until we got to the end and Chad mentioned it. Thanks for snapping a few photos of us.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Ah....Riding....Nature...So glorious!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

My other ride is your mom
    Thanks for the stoke Ray...it's been a while since I've been back to the north Kaibab.