Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 49 of 49
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    I've owned 2 Giants (NRS 2 & '09 Trance 3) and am about to pick up a new leftover '11 Trance X2. Heard good things about the Pivot, but have not had a chance to try one. My best MTN biking buddy (used to be a pro XTerra racer) really liked the NRS Air she was comped back when she was racing. Since she's out of the racing circuit and only rides for fun these days, she recently picked up a Specialized Stumpjumper with a traditional (non-DW or Horst) rear suspension design that, perplexingly, seems to be the trend these days.

    She confirms that bobbing is a problem--particularly when riding uphill on technical terrain--unless she keeps her rear shock in full-near-lockout-climbing position, in which case you lose 90% of your suspension, so you almost might as well ride a hardtail and save the weight.

    Conversely, the Giant Maestro suspension (and probably other DW-like linkage) is awesome on climbs without having to adjust the rear shock at all, meaning the bike still absorbs bumps but you don't lose traction or efficiency. Downside (my guess why many other manufacturers have abandoned the concept) is weight. My take on that: bring less water. (Your full 100 oz. Camelback will way upwards of 13 lbs.) Seriously, I do a lot of technical and sustained climbs, so I'd rather lug up a 2-or-so pound heavier bike that performs well than a lighter one that doesn't. (And I do need to keep hydrated out here in Colorado, so I'll still bring the full Camelback.)

    Then there's the question about 29ers vs. 26". I did love the new 2013 Giant Trance 29er 0 I recently demoed ($4,200 retail), but am not in love with the new 2 x 10 gearing that leaves out the low and high range. Also, because 29" is the current trend, they're kind of the "SUV" of mountain bikes these days in terms of price and profit margins for manufacturers. You can get killer deals on 26" bikes with great components. Thus the '11 26" Trance I'm about to get.

  2. #27
    26 ain't dead
    Reputation: -Chainslap-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    239
    x3 on the new carbon Dixon. I rode it at Outerbike and it was my favorite bike out there, and I rode the Mojo HD, Nomad, Mach 5.7 and others. I was surprised at how well the split pivot (it's not a DW link) worked. If I could find a frame for a decent price I would pick one up.

    That said, I have been riding my 08 Giant Trance X for almost four years and it has been a fantastic do all bike from the Flagstaff DH trails and I even rode it in the last AES race. Only thing I swap out are the wheels depending upon the terrain. I would still recommend it if you want to save some money.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by Licketysplit View Post
    I went with a group from work.
    What a merciless bunch - glad you survived.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14

    New Giant Trance 26" model misinformation

    A couple bits of info I just discovered for anyone is in the market for a 2013 Trance:

    The 26" Trance X2 is made and shipped to places like Canada or the UK but interestingly not available in the US. (Who knows why? I'm guessing there's more markup room for 29ers in the mid- to hi-level price range so manufacturers are encouraging those models.)

    Also, if you DO want a 26" Trance X2 (or an X2-W, designed specifically for women only up to a medium with different geometry from the non-W version--those ARE available in the US) be warned that the specs on the Giant website and in their catalog for the front fork are WRONG! Fork models are listed correctly, but the features for the X2 fork are listed as 125 140 mm switchable, while the X1 fork is listed as 125 mm only. Actual features are reversed. Could be a bummer if you order an X2 online only to discover it's a 125 mm only configuration.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by jpstandish View Post
    You can get killer deals on 26" bikes with great components. Thus the '11 26" Trance I'm about to get.
    Or maybe it's because you are buying a 2 year old bike?

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,457
    29" is like a Galaxy SIII

    26" is like a phone booth.

    Choose accordingly.

  7. #32
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    29" is like a Galaxy SIII

    26" is like a phone booth.

    Choose accordingly.
    Easy, you need to broaden your skill set before making that claim. I rode a 29'er for years. Pretty happy I am back on a 26'er right now. What I get out of my Specy Enduro is hard to duplicate in a 29'er platform. 650B does have my interest to a degree.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Or maybe it's because you are buying a 2 year old bike?
    LOL. Yeah, good point! Seriously, though, 29ers are just pricier, and I can't believe it's all because of the extra cost of the bigger wheels.

    Case in point:

    The top of the line 2013 26" Trance has most of the same or comparable components as the top of the line 2013 Trance 29er. Exact same rear shock, same rear cassette, adjustable seatpost, chain, crankset, rear derailleur and bottom bracket. Different wheels and hubs, of course, but same tires (except size). Biggest difference is the 29er has XT shifters and front derailleur, while the 26" version has SLX. Brakes are also XT in the 29er and SLX in the 26" version. However, the 26" Trance has a 125-140 mm Fox fork while the 29er's fork is 125 mm only.

    The 26" bike's list price is $3,200. The 29" is $4,250. It's hard to imagine that there's $1,000 + more component value in the 29er than there is in the 26" one. And 29" wheels aren't THAT much pricier...or are they?

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    29" is like a Galaxy SIII

    26" is like a phone booth.

    Choose accordingly.
    Well, OK. Yeah, 29ers are the undeniable trend. Maybe because I've ridden 26ers for more than a quarter century, I'm not as overwhelmed by how great 29ers are. (Not that I hate them or anything!)

    You gotta ask yourself, though, why everyone is trying so hard to make 29ers handle more like 26ers. Giant made a big deal out of that when touting their new 29er design: scrunching the wheels closer together so the bike would be more "flickable". You know... like a 26er!

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,202
    Quote Originally Posted by jpstandish View Post
    LOL. Yeah, good point! Seriously, though, 29ers are just pricier, and I can't believe it's all because of the extra cost of the bigger wheels.
    29ers are more money because people will pay that for a perceived advantage. 26ers are simply not trendy any more. This is especially true for hardtails and XC bikes. However that can mean good value for those who don't need the latest cutting edge.

    26" bikes are still some really good bikes and most of the the rider skill/ rider fitness will be the main factor on the trails. A good fit rider on a 26" hardtail will be faster and clear more of the trail than unfit / unskilled rider on fancy LT 29er. Back in the day 10-12 years ago I was routinely school on technical descents by friend of mine riding a 26" rigid steel frame Giant with canti-brakes. I had a nice aluminum hardtail with 100mm of front travel. Why? certainaly not the bike as it was all down to rider skill. He had and still does. However I always had better fitness so I could pull him on the climbs. These days he moved a more modern hardtail 29er and is still great on the downhills. Of course I can still pull him on climbs. He is of course 6'4" and thin so he always had issues finding a bike that fits him. So for him the 29er's are rather proportional.

    Anyway I guess I am rambling on, but my point is that it is better develop skills than to try to "buy them" with a bike change.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  11. #36
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,155
    IMO, a 29er hardtail makes a 26er XC FS bike obsolete. You get more downhill stability and ability to go fast, without compromising the climbing efficiency/weight. The 26" XC FS bike will be more comfortable in the rough obviously, but much more apt to pitch over, not make it through a technical section, not carry speed, etc. The 29er hardtail will obviously be rougher because it's a hardtail, but modern technology allows for only marginal increases in weight with the 29er parts now, so you get a lot of the benefits, with few of the disadvantages.

    IMO, eventually all serious mountain bikes will be 29, long travel applications 650b, and DH bikes 26" for a while, but eventually 650b, they'll never go to 29 due to the geometry.

    IMO2, buying a new bike, there's not much reason to look at 26ers anymore. I've only ridden a 29er hardtail for a few years whilst owning two 26ers at the same time (and short rides on other 29er FS bikes) and I'd just never consider a 26er for XC again. You live in AZ, we got rocks here, a 29er will really allow your riding to grow. Yes, everyone will think you are "cheating" and that you should go back to a rigid bike with 1.8" tires, barely working cantilever brakes, flat narrow bars, a half-sphere foam helmet, cutoff-finger weight training gloves, and thumbie shifters. Screw them, you're in this to have fun. Enjoy the benefits of modern technology. There's a reason they developed this technology. People like myself tried it and liked it. I didn't want to jump and buy a 29er FS right off the bat, I wanted them to develop the technology first and get "solid" before considering it, but now it's fairly mature finally and I'd have no reservations doing so, but my next bike has to be a mukluk
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,960
    "Which full suspension?" It's in the title.

    Suggesting hard tail 29"ers is terrible, terrible, advice and should be ignored.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    Though I first rode Slickrock and Porcupine Rim on a fully rigid Chromoly bike many years ago, (and NOT a 29er) I'm not sure I'd want to try that now.

    Honestly, I think the whole 29er fad is a bit overblown and trendy (even if it's likely to be a trend that lasts, unlike "rapid rise" shifters or the ill-conceived Biopace). I've ridden both 29 and 26 and it's not as though I've come away thinking, "Wow, the 29ers are SOOOO incredibly smoother on technical terrain!" I'm sure I would have that feeling, if I'd been riding bikes with 12" wheels all this time, though.

    I do know dedicated 29er hardtail riders and wouldn't necessarily argue with them to change out their equipment. But for what I ride, no thanks. I value my back and knees too much.

  14. #39
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,367
    I recently demoed (and soon will own) a Giant Trance X29. Its new for 2013 and just friggin blew my doors off the first time I rode it. Its a 5" travel (f and r) bike which would be ideal for the rocky stuff here in AZ. Just give it a look.

    Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,202
    My only point is that I am not sure the premium for a 29er is worth it. I also don't believe in changing bikes when you can't ride something. It may come to that in time, but I prefer to learn how to ride it on what I have first than assuming the "BIKE" it the reason for my crash/failure etc. There are plenty of place I cannot ride and that is not due to the bike so much as my skills. I am reminded when I see some trials rider jumping around things are that are "un-rideable". That said some bikes are faster certain terrain than others. There are places where I feel my descents would be fast with alot more travel or bigger wheels. However I like ride my bikes up the hills to so is the faster descent worth effort on the way up? That is not to mention dollars involved. Will have $4000 worth more fun?

    Clearly there are some that need the fastest,coolest, latest etc.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    I recently demoed (and soon will own) a Giant Trance X29.

    Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Big LOL! Yeah, I recently demoed that one as well. Pretty sweet. I made the mistake of trying out the X0, though. REALLY got spoiled on that one! The X2, not so much. The Rockshox on that felt way more stiff and I'm not a big fan of the SRAM shifters.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    144
    My buddy has a Devinci Dixon - great bike.

    2013 Devinci Dixon Carbon RX MSRP is ~4600.

    4600 * 50% = $2300 of pure win.
    Last edited by cramey; 11-30-2012 at 12:41 PM.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    436
    Welcome to Arizona. I moved here from Nebraska 20 years ago and have never regretted it. About 10,000 times the amount of mountain bike trails.

    Highly recommend FS, my 55 year old body takes much less of a beating. I rarely ride my hardtail unless it is something like a dirt road or a canal bank.

    I own an older Giant Trance, which I have been very happy with. Giant generally seems to be a good value for the money because you are not paying for a name. Heard good things about the newer Giant FS bikes. Anthem is more XC, which Trance more AM. I lean more XC myself, as the consequences of failing in technical terrain are something I give a lot more thought to today than I did 25 years ago.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    My only point is that I am not sure the premium for a 29er is worth it. I also don't believe in changing bikes when you can't ride something. ...
    Clearly there are some that need the fastest,coolest, latest etc.
    You've certainly got a point, Joe. I agree it's easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of "latest and greatest". On the other side of that, I tend to simply wear bikes out remarkably quickly. In the end, there's some balance to be had, but yeah, there's no bike in the world that can make up for inexperience or lack of conditioning.

  20. #45
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    "Which full suspension?" It's in the title.

    Suggesting hard tail 29"ers is terrible, terrible, advice and should be ignored.
    Great. Thanks for missing the point. I was not suggesting buying a hard tail 29er, only contrasting one with an FS 26er
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,202
    Quote Originally Posted by jpstandish View Post
    You've certainly got a point, Joe. I agree it's easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of "latest and greatest". On the other side of that, I tend to simply wear bikes out remarkably quickly. In the end, there's some balance to be had, but yeah, there's no bike in the world that can make up for inexperience or lack of conditioning.
    Exactly...
    If you bike is worn out due to riding then you might as well look for the best bike for your dollars. No issues with that "upgrade". If you just want to upgrade because you bought an entry level bike like on with higher grade components fine. Just don't expect to turn you into some super rider.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Great. Thanks for missing the point. I was not suggesting buying a hard tail 29er, only contrasting one with an FS 26er
    FWIW, two of the main mtb guys at my local bike shop have been riding hardtail 29ers forever and swear by them, so I wouldn't say don't EVER consider it. Now I'm curious, though, about taking your advice and doing a side-by-side comparison with my 26" FS.


  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    108
    Great thread guys.......

  24. #49
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,510
    Welcome to the valley. I'm out in the Queen Creek/Chandler Heights area and frequent San Tan trails (3 mile ride from my place).

    I just got back into biking in September myself and went FS because I wanted to avoid the harshness of a HT. Not completely sold on the 29er concept quite yet - then again I'm short (5'5")

    Anyway, hope you enjoy the great weather we're having.

    -S

    P.S. I got a few FS carbon frames that are too big for me - interested? Cheap!
    Last edited by shibiwan; 11-30-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •