mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Fruita-Moab-Sedona

Following recomendations, I post up the thread for hits or any advice from locas...

I'm planning a visit to Utah/Arizona for mtb trip for oct.(3 weeks) & After searching a bit of info. These areas seem to be great for some good rides...
    I'll fly from spain to Denver and don't really know how to get there. any public transport info or recomendation? as I'm travelling alone, a car rental would be hardly expensive. Any problem to move around once I'm in Fruita/Moab/Sedona?
    Checking different web trails info. there is too much data to choose the proper rides without local recomendation...the 1st you find is the typical trails descriptions but later on, you realize that there are different oints of view (i.e. Poisson Spider, etc.).

The idea is getting a gps with be for different tracks and,of course, meeting locals for their (your)advice and recomends. helped with a map, hope to be enough enjoy the reides...

btw, What do you think about going in oct.?? any problem with acomoddation?? I want to avoid confortable hotels & force cheaper places (hostels, campsites,...). For sure that in Moab area I'm won't feel alone & there would be a lot of people with similar plans...

we'll see if Utah trip convince me! I bet so...really itching for it!!!

If anyone with similar plans wants share costs?!?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyR10
    Following recomendations, I post up the thread for hits or any advice from locas...

I'm planning a visit to Utah/Arizona for mtb trip for oct.(3 weeks) & After searching a bit of info. These areas seem to be great for some good rides...
    I'll fly from spain to Denver and don't really know how to get there. any public transport info or recomendation? as I'm travelling alone, a car rental would be hardly expensive. Any problem to move around once I'm in Fruita/Moab/Sedona?
    Checking different web trails info. there is too much data to choose the proper rides without local recomendation...the 1st you find is the typical trails descriptions but later on, you realize that there are different oints of view (i.e. Poisson Spider, etc.).

The idea is getting a gps with be for different tracks and,of course, meeting locals for their (your)advice and recomends. helped with a map, hope to be enough enjoy the reides...

btw, What do you think about going in oct.?? any problem with acomoddation?? I want to avoid confortable hotels & force cheaper places (hostels, campsites,...). For sure that in Moab area I'm won't feel alone & there would be a lot of people with similar plans...

we'll see if Utah trip convince me! I bet so...really itching for it!!!

If anyone with similar plans wants share costs?!?!
    I'm not 100% certain what exactly you are asking, but if you wan to experience some stellar riding, you can't go wrong with Fruita and Moab, especially in Oct. I've never personally been to Fruita (which is in Colorado), but from my understanding, it's a must for any mountain biker. Fruita is about 2 hours driving time to Moab, so you can do both relatively easily. And you could probably literally spends weeks riding both. Also, I believe there is a trail (Kokapeli?) that goes from Fruita to Moab. From Denver, I believe it's about a days drive to Fruita.

Now, regarding tacking on Sedona to that trip, not sure I would. 1) Sedona is about 7 hours drive from Moab, 2) while the riding is nice, IMO no comparison to Moab and Fruita, and 3) there are many more places that are probably closer to Moab/Fruita: Brianhead, St. George, Crested Butte are three that come to mind.

I'm sure others will have opinions...
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

mtbr member
    I agree with Skinny on the items. Fruita is about 4-5 hours from Denver, and there are campsites and a hostel (if it is still there) You can ride to most of the trails if you do not mind a little pavement, and the riding is FANTASTIC!

Moab is about 1.5 hours drive from Fruita. Tons of trails and can ride from everything in town. It is also pretty fun at night, there are hostels and lots of camping.

Sedona - about an 8 hour drive from Moab. There are some good trails, but not nearly the variety and amount of trails as in Moab/Fruita. Also, during October - you will be dealing with TONS of hikers in Sedona and the traffic is horrible. There are places to stay, but it is expensive (I think there are a couple of campsites a few miles from town though)

I would skip Sedona - all of Skinnys suggestions would be great too... just check the weather on some of the areas for that time of year (Crested Butte might be chilly!!)

EDR
    Ok...to play off this thread, what's so great about Fruita?

I ask b/c I have a Moab trip planned in two weeks and we will have a few extra days to do something different. We are thinking about Crested Butte but thats like a 4 or 5 hour drive from Moab. Fruita would make more sense but for those of who prefer techi vs. flowy singletrack, is there any reason to hit Fruita for a day or two?

Mudd, PM Traildoc if you want to ride Sedona. There are some GREAT trails with fantastic views if you can handle some technical stuff, but they are hard to find on your own.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Ok...to play off this thread, what's so great about Fruita?

I ask b/c I have a Moab trip planned in two weeks and we will have a few extra days to do something different. We are thinking about Crested Butte but thats like a 4 or 5 hour drive from Moab. Fruita would make more sense but for those of who prefer techi vs. flowy singletrack, is there any reason to hit Fruita for a day or two?

Mudd, PM Traildoc if you want to ride Sedona. There are some GREAT trails with fantastic views if you can handle some technical stuff, but they are hard to find on your own.
    MR10:

I don't know what those other two posters are talking about as respects to Sedona. Hikers on trails in October, whats that about?

Check this out and you might get a different perspective: http://sharonb.pinkbike.com/blog/sedona.html

Check out Moab and Fruita in Pink Bike to get an idea what other think about it. Also EveryTrail.com has numerous loop ideas with videos attached.

TD

EDR
    OK, TD. I will check out Fruita on those sites for sure. You seem to get around a lot so let me ask a direct question to you. If my buds are not against beautiful singletrack riding that goes on for miles and miles, BUT....get bored and seriously bittchy if there is ZERO technical options to be found....is Fruita, as a destination from Moab, better off avoided? I realize Crested Butte may not be a technical paradise per say, but T401 and some other stuff like 403 do seem like they need to be ridden at least once in a lifetime (plus I have family that I should probably visit...and free lodging...and shuttle service as needed in CB, lol) Thoughts?

No mames guey
    I am going to disagree with the previous posters on this one. Since you are traveling from Spain and spending 3 weeks in the States, I assume that you want to ride several different areas. I personally would get stir crazy with 3 weeks in Fruita/Moab. Your main challenge is going to be transportation between your destinations. Even though some public transportation options exist, they will likely be at inconvenient times. This may greatly cut into your biking time. You might look into a short-term lease of a car instead, which would be at a lower rate than the typical daily rental car rate.

Here's how I would plan the trip (if it were me).

Day 1: Arrive in Denver, get car, drive to Fruita 5 hours away.
    Day 2-5: Ride Fruita. Drive to Moab after ride(s) on day 5, 2 hours away.
    Day 6-9: Ride Moab. Drive to Flagstaff after ride on day 9, 6 hours away.
    Day 10-13: Ride Flagstaff. Drive to Sedona on day 13 after ride, 1 hour away.
    Day 14-17. Ride Sedona. After ride on day 17, drive to Durango, CO, 6 hours away.
    Day 18-19. Ride Durango. On day 19, drive to Salida, CO after ride, 4 hours away.
    Day 20. Ride Salida (assuming weather has not closed the trails), enjoy the last ride of your trip with a shuttle on the Monarch Crest Trail. Drive to Denver, 3 hours away.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    EDR, I kinda have to agree since we usually use the fruita trails as a fun rest day on our trips but definitely not techy. That is unless you go to Grand Junction. OP Canyonland RV in Moab had cabins that you can rent for around 60-70bucks a night.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    EDR, I kinda have to agree since we usually use the fruita trails as a fun rest day on our trips but definitely not techy. That is unless you go to Grand Junction. OP Canyonland RV in Moab had cabins that you can rent for around 60-70bucks a night.
    Unless you're a certain hawaiian and launch a booter to failureville in the parking lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.