mtbr member

Frugal living and sidewalls

Need some help with the risk evaluation of my cheap living lifestyle. Currently, when I get a sidewall tear (Blow-out or slit resulting in innertube hernia) I replace the tire. When I get a partial tear (resulting in, at most a blister), I start pondering how far I should push my luck. I've been known to take park rides around town on these tires figuring that's why I carry a tire boot. Yesterday when I was reviewing my rear tire I saw four such blisters. That got me thinking about how I was potentially close to a walk home.

How far do you push your luck?

(On a semi-related side note I've been putting on heavier and heavier tires. While comparing a bike tire to a dirt-bike tire, I realized I had bought exclusively wire beads lately. In fact, thinking back on it, there wasn't even a choice. Doing some research it seems the wire bead to be favoured for converting to tubeless. Is this the case? Am I the last one in the valley riding tubes?)

Thanks for the help.

workin' it Administrator

regarding tire booting and frugality

If you don't run v-brakes all you are risking is the inevitable tire flat/fix or worst case the walk back to the car after a scare when the tube blows.

If you cut down tires a lot just avoid the tubeless conversion, a slash will leave you booting a slimy tire with a tube anyway or walking out.

As far as tires go I have converted wire and kevlar beads equally it all depends on fit on the rim. A tight fit is better although I have and seen others burp air while descending on tight fitting tires and I have yet to see anyone with wire beads burp tires.

Have you tried DH tires with reinforced sidewalls? I used to use specialized DH tires on my bike with a reinforced side wall rear and a lighter single ply front both in the same tread. Never was able to even scuff the sidewalls.

The other thing I search out for AZ riding is tires that have substantial side lugs with minimal gaps between prevent sidewall contact or slicing between lugs.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info and advice. I've found myself with a 2.5" minion up front and a DH tire out back. Based on your post, I'll go through a few of these tires prior to trying to make the tubeless conversion. I'll also look at the side lugs and see if I get any more gashes.

I just got goth served!

Hope Dude, I'm the cheapest of the cheap.

I probably shouldn't even admit how far I run my equipement into the ground. I say preemptively boot your tires before they really blow. Cut a section of old sidewall from an old worn out tire (cut the bead off, too), and contact cement it to inside of the sidewall tear. I can't justify throwing away a $50 tire with good tread because of a side cut. I have a booted XC tire that I've been running for over a year.

Just make sure you use the contact cement correctly. Apply to both surfaces, let dry, then push them together.

In the desert, I quit buying tires with thin sidewalls. Ocotillo is unforgiving.

brian
    insert witty comment here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer
    Cut a section of old sidewall from an old worn out tire (cut the bead off, too), and contact cement it to inside of the sidewall tear. I can't justify throwing away a $50 tire with good tread because of a side cut. I have a booted XC tire that I've been running for over a year.

Just make sure you use the contact cement correctly. Apply to both surfaces, let dry, then push them together.
    Thanks Heloise. (for the tip and for letting me know I wasn't the only one who wants to save a buck.