Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Which frame better suited for AZ trails - the two

I've been considering are 5" travel Ibis Mojo and Ellsworth Epiphany.
    Since there's no way to try one first, I thought I would check this forum for
    some opinions, advice.
    Right now its more of a dream than a reality - but I would like to move up to
    a 5" travel all around trailbike. I dont do any hucking, but I like technical singletrack,
    which desscribes most of the trials in AZ if you do much riding.
    The dw-linked Mojo seems like a really cool bike. I've heard it described as almost as
    pedaling efficient as a blurLT but with better traction. With the loose rocky trail
    conditions around here, and given the unproven durability of the frame, tho - and carbon
    frames in general I've heard can be flexy, I'm thinking the Epiphany is the safer choice.
    It won't be as pedaling efficient, but the frame was designed with tech singletrack
    in mind. Its not like I can afford to buy a new frame every year. ...
    Anyway, I'm rambling. Any thoughts on these 2 bikes for AZ trail riding ?

Happy trails

i demoed the epi at somo when they were out there.

it rode great and seemed to climb very well.it handle alot like my titus.in fact after riding the epi i went home and reset my shock pressure and rebound speed to get it to ride more like the ellsworth.have not rode a dw link bike but it look good in theory and seems to get good reviews.not sure what a hard crash in the rocks would do to the carbon frame though.
    Aaron

Elitest thrill junkie
    Those are too light for XC riding IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would go with the Ells. I would be very worried about a brand new all carbon bike here There is a lot of rocks that would just love to puch through that carbon

I bike, I brew

Good job! Two fine choices, but a third?

I went through this process last year - having the opportunity to buy a bike with no real thoughts about the cost (everyone should be able to do this once in their life). The Ibis is one sweet looking bike, and has gotten really good reviews... but a big downfall (in my book - besides the "ding factor" mentioned by previous posts) would be availability. You'll likely wait a while due to the demand/production ratio.

I also looked at a couple of Ellsworth offerings, and much feedback (particularly here on mtbr forums) was concern over breakage. This *was* a year ago... were they forgoing strength for weight? Have the breakage issues been resolved? I don't know, but it was enough of a hesitation for me.

Have you considered the Titus Moto Lite? There were several factors which sold me - most of which, Titus is right in Tempe. They design and test their bikes right here - not at Whistler, CA, NE woodlands... but right here. Fine-tuned for the AZ trails. The second was the price. I was amazed to find that of the "high-end" frames, teh Moto Lite was $300-500 less that any of the other comparable 5" frames. And you don't sacrifice weight to get 5"... mine is a scant 27# (1/2# lighter than my previous '01 Schwinn)

That said - almost a year later - the ML is an absolute dream. I too mustly do XC-type, some aggressive, and like the marginally technical downhills. I've found that the bike does it all well - if you stay seated, you climb like a goat (yeah, you'll squish if you stand and grind, but you'll still be able to pull it out). It rails fast and twisty singletrack, and handles any bumps or technicals you'll come across. It's also comfortable for the long-haul... I just squeezed out 10 laps in the 24HOP, and the only thing I needed to do the whole time was relube the chain and tighten the barrel adjuster a click or two. And they're local.

In short - don't overlook the ML...

Hank

Ouch, I am hot!
    I don't like either choice. I would stick with a proven frame/design/material and a company that has good to better customer service.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Hank has a number of good points relative to the Titus ML. It really is a great bike for AZ trails and you can demo the bike for several days from a number of sources. I think the going rate for the demo program is about $200 with round trip shipping and a $100 discount from the dealer if you choose to buy. Check the Titus web site for online dealers I believe a number of them offer demo programs.

I would also recommend the SC Blur LT with one caveat. I wouldn't use that frame for AZ riding without a longer travel front fork yielding a higher BB. IMO the 130 mm forks yield far to much pedal smack. Fortunately the frame is rated up to a 160mm fork which is where I would go. Both Fox and Marzocchi offer forks in that range with adjustable travel.

SC has a good customer service reputation and keep an eye on this thread Busted! as it will be interesting to see how Titus handles a broken frame.
    Last edited by Mountain_Man; 02-19-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Fragile - must be Italian
    I'll second (or third) the Titus MotoLite as a great all-mountain bike for AZ...better than your other options (at a lesser cost). I went through this exact same process a few months ago and ended up with the MotoLite. The ML has a proven 4-bar Horst suspension and a reputation for durability and superb handling.

I am completely happy with my choice. The ML is a winner on the downhills and is also an excellent climber and very good handler (not as snappy as my NRS, but it's still damn good). One thing to note -- get an adjustable fork such as the Fox TALAS. My ML has a 140mm TALAS (100/120/140) and it's the perfect companion to have. On climbs the 100mm setting really helps out, and on the descents the 140mm setting is what you want. I can't imaging riding the ML with only a 140mm fork as the front end will pop up too often on climbs.

Lastly, I wouldn't recommend Santa Cruz Blur bikes to anybody looking for an all-mountain bike. They are great in terms of their all-mountain prowess, but they are wimpy. Of the 3 friends of mine who own or have owned SC Blurs and Blur LT's, they went through 4 broken frames. I hear this from many people that the SC Blurs are underbuilt...which isn't good for an all-mountain bike.

Thx...Doug

mr. wonderful
    i would suggest 4 alternatives-

ventana el ciclon: 5"x26"

ventana el ray: 4"x29"

turner spot: 5.5"x26"

turner sultan: 4"x29"

1. proven
    2. reliable
    3. GREAT customer service
    4. and i can go on. . .

not to slag the the ML, but it's less expensive because it's fabricated off shore. it's also known to have tight rear tire clearance, which is a significant issue for our terrain (big tires= )

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I don't like either choice. I would stick with a proven frame/design/material and a company that has good to better customer service.
    like Kona?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    i would suggest 4 alternatives-

ventana el ciclon: 5"x26"

ventana el ray: 4"x29"

turner spot: 5.5"x26"

turner sultan: 4"x29"

1. proven
    2. reliable
    3. GREAT customer service
    4. and i can go on. . .

not to slag the the ML, but it's less expensive because it's fabricated off shore. it's also known to have tight rear tire clearance, which is a significant issue for our terrain (big tires= )
    FYI - the 2007 ML has increased tire clearance over the previous model years, which definitely was an issue. With that resolved, I couldn't find any fault with the ML...which is why I bought one.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wurensh
    I went through this process last year - having the opportunity to buy a bike with no real thoughts about the cost (everyone should be able to do this once in their life). The Ibis is one sweet looking bike, and has gotten really good reviews... but a big downfall (in my book - besides the "ding factor" mentioned by previous posts) would be availability. You'll likely wait a while due to the demand/production ratio.

I also looked at a couple of Ellsworth offerings, and much feedback (particularly here on mtbr forums) was concern over breakage. This *was* a year ago... were they forgoing strength for weight? Have the breakage issues been resolved? I don't know, but it was enough of a hesitation for me.

Have you considered the Titus Moto Lite? There were several factors which sold me - most of which, Titus is right in Tempe. They design and test their bikes right here - not at Whistler, CA, NE woodlands... but right here. Fine-tuned for the AZ trails. The second was the price. I was amazed to find that of the "high-end" frames, teh Moto Lite was $300-500 less that any of the other comparable 5" frames. And you don't sacrifice weight to get 5"... mine is a scant 27# (1/2# lighter than my previous '01 Schwinn)

That said - almost a year later - the ML is an absolute dream. I too mustly do XC-type, some aggressive, and like the marginally technical downhills. I've found that the bike does it all well - if you stay seated, you climb like a goat (yeah, you'll squish if you stand and grind, but you'll still be able to pull it out). It rails fast and twisty singletrack, and handles any bumps or technicals you'll come across. It's also comfortable for the long-haul... I just squeezed out 10 laps in the 24HOP, and the only thing I needed to do the whole time was relube the chain and tighten the barrel adjuster a click or two. And they're local.

In short - don't overlook the ML...

Hank
    The Motolite was actually my first choice. I got to ride a friends that a few years old
    on a couple different rides. One was down Milagrosa. It handled like a dream on this.
    I tried stuff I would never have dreamed of before. I thought it handled at least as good,
    maybe even better, than my friends VP-Free on this ride.
    Then a few weeks later I got to try it again on the upper 50. I decided that if I liked
    the handling on this ride I was gonna get the bike. Unfortunately on the rather long
    granny ring seated climb I started feeling lower back strain, even when I sat on the saddle
    nose. I had the seat to the right height, and the frame was a large, so the only thing I
    could attribute it to was bad (for me) frame geometry. Since I've heard a couple mentions
    of this before on other forums I thought there might be something to this. I haven't tried the latest version of the Motolite, though. Has anything about the geometry changed over earlier versions ?
    I noted that the seat angle was a little slack, 71.75, for XC type climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    The Motolite was actually my first choice. I got to ride a friends that a few years old
    on a couple different rides. One was down Milagrosa. It handled like a dream on this.
    I tried stuff I would never have dreamed of before. I thought it handled at least as good,
    maybe even better, than my friends VP-Free on this ride.
    Then a few weeks later I got to try it again on the upper 50. I decided that if I liked
    the handling on this ride I was gonna get the bike. Unfortunately on the rather long
    granny ring seated climb I started feeling lower back strain, even when I sat on the saddle
    nose. I had the seat to the right height, and the frame was a large, so the only thing I
    could attribute it to was bad (for me) frame geometry. Since I've heard a couple mentions
    of this before on other forums I thought there might be something to this. I haven't tried the latest version of the Motolite, though. Has anything about the geometry changed over earlier versions ?
    I noted that the seat angle was a little slack, 71.75, for XC type climbing.
    Did the ML have an adjustable front fork? I hated my ML in the 140mm setting as the front end felt too light, but at 100mm, it's a very comfortable climber for an all-mountain rig. I've taken that bike on a few endurance rides with long steep climbs (>45min, >1000 ft) and it's been great. I will not say it climbs as well as my NRS or any other dedicated XC rig...but it's pretty damn close.

If you like climbing I'm a bit surprised by your other choices. Turners and Ventantas are not noted for their climbing prowess. The only other all-mountain rig that I hear is a good climbing machine is a Yeti 575, which was another of my top choices. The other AM bikes I checked out either had too much pedal kickback (GF Cake -- and most single-pivot bikes in the granny gear) or too heavy (such as Giant Reign or SC Nomad) to be a "good" climber...especially if you're already used to a good XC bike.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Did the ML have an adjustable front fork? I hated my ML in the 140mm setting as the front end felt too light, but at 100mm, it's a very comfortable climber for an all-mountain rig. I've taken that bike on a few endurance rides with long steep climbs (>45min, >1000 ft) and it's been great. I will not say it climbs as well as my NRS or any other dedicated XC rig...but it's pretty damn close.

If you like climbing I'm a bit surprised by your other choices. Turners and Ventantas are not noted for their climbing prowess. The only other all-mountain rig that I hear is a good climbing machine is a Yeti 575, which was another of my top choices. The other AM bikes I checked out either had too much pedal kickback (GF Cake -- and most single-pivot bikes in the granny gear) or too heavy (such as Giant Reign or SC Nomad) to be a "good" climber...especially if you're already used to a good XC bike.

Thx...Doug
    No, Turners or Ventanas were never on my list. I'm liking the looks of the new Chumba XCL, though. That might be the ticket if the geometry is a little steeper than the ML.
    As far as the fork on the bike I tried, it was a 130mm non adjustable. I tried to take this
    into account as far as the handling. I know the new Motolites come with a Talas that you
    can wind down to 100mm for the climbs. I never ridden a bike with a talas, but I gotta
    think it would be a bit inconvenient to have to reach down or if that wasnt possible
    get off the bike and wind it down every time you needed to climb a granny ring section.
    If you only had to do that once in a while that would be ok, but in a trail with lots of steep
    ups and downs I'd seems like you'd be better off if you if you didnt have to wind down
    the fork every time things got steep.

mtbr member
    The 07 Talas in either 32 or 36 mm varieties are adjustable at the 45 deg flick of a lever on the top of the left tube. Or if it was a clock face 9 = max height, 7:30= Mid Point, and 6 = Lowest height. The settings are 140, 120, 100 and 160, 130, 100 respectively. Very quick, very easy to reach and very easy to adjust while on the trail.

The Talas may not be the plushest fork in the world but it sure is easy to adjust and I'll live with that for those times when the climbing really gets technical.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Unfortunately on the rather long
    could attribute it to was bad (for me) frame geometry
    This doesn't make sense to me. Nonetheless, if you are looking for a "5" travel all around trailbike" as stated in your original post, there is no perfect bike that perfectly combines climbing and descending ability. The Yeti 575 is another option, although at this point I am not sure what kind of bike you want.

The ML is a 5" trailbike and so is the 5-Spot, but they are different. In terms of proven designs plus proven customer service, I agree with Dirtbag that Ventana and Turner are on the top of the list. I have heard a few bad things about Titus' customer service, but in all honesty, I would have no problems pulling the tigger on a ML.

As for Blurs, Conservationist rides his pretty damn hard and he has had no issues for three or so years.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Man
    The 07 Talas in either 32 or 36 mm varieties are adjustable at the 45 deg flick of a lever on the top of the left tube. Or if it was a clock face 9 = max height, 7:30= Mid Point, and 6 = Lowest height. The settings are 140, 120, 100 and 160, 130, 100 respectively. Very quick, very easy to reach and very easy to adjust while on the trail.

The Talas may not be the plushest fork in the world but it sure is easy to adjust and I'll live with that for those times when the climbing really gets technical.
    My experience with the 07 Talas is the same -- EASY to adjust between 100/140mm. The dial is on the left leg and has only 3 positions -- 100/120/140 -- with detents and obvious position of the lever. Since I only adjust between the 2 (140 or 100), it's as easy as "lever all the way up" or "lever all the way down". This is an adjustment you can make while riding the bike.

I can't imagine having an "all-mountain" bike without an adjustable travel fork (Talas and some RockShox models). ANY bike with a tall front end from a 140mm fork is going to be a PITA to climb with -- front end will just be too high up and your handlebars will be at your chest and you'll constantly be popping wheelies. And any 100mm-only fork (which is good for climbing) is going to suck on gnarly downhills when you want 130-140mm (or more) of travel.

Regardless of what kind of bike you get, at least consider an adjustable fork. I never owned one before and never wanted one...but now that I have one I can't imagine being without it. The Talas is the perfect compromise...no matter what kind of bike it is on.

Thx...Doug

I am Walt
    Oh, and make sure you get a 29'er...
    Ride more; post less...

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Oh, and make sure you get a 29'er...
    Yeah...don't you have a Kona for sale? I've heard those are the best climbing and descending bikes on the planet...the perfect do-it-all bike. That solves the entire debate.

Thx...Doug

mr. wonderful
    Turners and Ventanas are not noted for their climbing prowess.

Thx...Doug
    what!? just imagine what geoff kabush could have done on an nrs? seriously, where is this noted? did i miss an issue (or all) of mountain bike action? i would have thought they would say they climb 'like a scalded monkey on steroids'.

i think both climb fabulously, both on smooth and technical terrain. i've done the blur thing, and the 575. both fine bikes and good climbers, but for technical climbing i haven't found anything that beats a good ol' 4 bar, whether it's horst link or faux bar.

when you speak of all mountain and climbing, i think of technical terrain which requires a balance of goemetry for both climbing and descending. where i think the moto lite fails in its geometry (depending on the model) is a head angle that is too steep for hairy descents (the 130 is marginal at best) and a seat angle that is too slack for great traction on steep and loose terrain (the seat angle on the 100 is good, but then you are stuck with head angle over 70 degrees).

the bottom line is it's 99% the horse, .9% luck, and .1% the bike (at best). if you can make any work well for you, most likely all will work well. mostly, you just need to adjust to the nuances of the bike.

i do have to laugh, however, at the blanket statement about the climbing prowess turners and ventanas this ol' turner climbs pretty well. . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Knollician

Turners and Ventantas are not noted for their climbing prowess.
    Thx...Doug

I ride a Turner RFX, so take this as you may, but that is about the dumbest things I have ever heard My bike weighs in at 36lbs, (with Super Tacky DH tires) and I can climb better with this bike than any other bike I have been on. Is it as fast a 30lb ML with 800gram XC tires, no. But compare it to a 31lb 5 Spot and I take the 5 Spot hands down. Titus is a great bike, but I take the American handbuilt product with the BEST customer service in the business everytime. Besides, there is nothing better than good 'ol greasable bushings,
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    when you speak of all mountain and climbing, i think of technical terrain which requires a balance of goemetry for both climbing and descending. where i think the moto lite fails in its geometry (depending on the model) is a head angle that is too steep for hairy descents (the 130 is marginal at best) and a seat angle that is too slack for great traction on steep and loose terrain (the seat angle on the 100 is good, but then you are stuck with head angle over 70 degrees).
    Just to let everyone know, there isn't a MotoLite 100 or 130. The website is just showing the change in geometry depending on the travel position of the fork - it's incredibly misleading.

The head angle is 69.25 with a 5 inch fox 32. The only thing the seat-tube angle affects is the position of the saddle. So the difference between a 71.75 deg SA and a 73 deg SA is about 15mm on the saddle rails; or perhaps not going with a setback post. It's sort of a moot point since it's the rider's measurements that should set the saddle position and not the bike's.

Awesome picture d'bag!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I ride a Turner RFX, so take this as you may, but that is about the dumbest things I have ever heard My bike weighs in at 36lbs, (with Super Tacky DH tires) and I can climb better with this bike than any other bike I have been on. Is it as fast a 30lb ML with 800gram XC tires, no. But compare it to a 31lb 5 Spot and I take the 5 Spot hands down. Titus is a great bike, but I take the American handbuilt product with the BEST customer service in the business everytime. Besides, there is nothing better than good 'ol greasable bushings,
    Ok - you guys have both taken my comment WAY out of context. My comment regarding Turners and Ventanas was not a smack down on their design. On the contrary, both have similar 4-bar designs as the ML, so knocking the Turners and Ventanas would be knocking the ML. What I meant was that most Turners and Ventanas are heavier bikes (usually 35+ lbs)...which in turn makes them not great climbers (as compared to a 27lb Yeti 575).

Ask anybody what they would consider a "good climbing" 5-6" travel bike and you will rarely hear anybody mention either Turner or Ventana. When "climber" is mentioned in conjunction with "all-mountain", you will hear Yeti 575 and Titus MotoLite very often...more often than most other "all mountain" bikes. And I'm sure many other "all mountain" bikes are better descenders than the Yeti and MotoLite.

I also reached the same conclusion with the Giant Reign. Since I've had such great experience with my NRS I obviously looked to buy another Giant before anything else...and the Reign fit the bill. It has a "new and improved" suspension design over previous 4-bar designs (that's according to the marketing literature), so one would think it's the best of all worlds -- climbing and descending. But guess what? A Reign 1 weighs in at 32lbs without pedals. A 32+lb bike with a 150lb rider does not make a great climbing combination, no matter how good the suspension design is.

There is no silver bullet bike. If there was we would all be riding one. All bikes are a mix of compromises. I shopped and chose the ML over everything else based on my preferences -- solid climber and descender (not the best of either...but a mix) with reasonable weight (28lb). And I'm 100% happy with my decision. As long as you all are happy with yours, then relax and stop being so defensive.

Thx...Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    Just to let everyone know, there isn't a MotoLite 100 or 130. The website is just showing the change in geometry depending on the travel position of the fork - it's incredibly misleading.

The head angle is 69.25 with a 5 inch fox 32. The only thing the seat-tube angle affects is the position of the saddle. So the difference between a 71.75 deg SA and a 73 deg SA is about 15mm on the saddle rails; or perhaps not going with a setback post. It's sort of a moot point since it's the rider's measurements that should set the saddle position and not the bike's.

Awesome picture d'bag!
    Actually, that chart is also now out of date, as the 2007's come with a taller 140mm fork (not 130mm as in 2006). I checked with the guys at Titus and the head angle at the tallest (140mm) setting is slacker than indicated in the chart for the 130mm setting. How much? This varies by frame size. My frame is a size Small, and at 140mm the head angle slackens out the HTA from 69 degrees to 68.5. A bigger frame will see less of a change.

Thx...Doug

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    The head angle is 69.25 with a 5 inch fox 32.
    Yeah, that's pretty steep IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast