Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    caninus xerophilous

FR Festivus, Pearl Harbor Day @ Area 52

A few others and myself will be heading up to Florence on 7 December for Freeride Festivus.

If you wanna join us from the OP, we will be rallying at the Bashas at Oracle and Golder Ranch @ 7AM. So if you wanna play be there.

If you're comming from PHX, we'll rally at the Florence Kelvin Highway @ 8AM. The FKH is south of Florence on HWY 89, just past the CAP wich is just south of Florence.

We should be riding by 9AM for about 4-5 hours of freeriding festivus. Which should have us departing by 2PM and home by 4-5PM.

Whats there: tons of slickrock, sickdrops, evil steeps, and some death derby chutes, i.e. miles of sick lines. Great riding for technical AM and Freeride sessioning. No real downhilling out there and all the stunts are burley natural terrain features.

It's remote so bring food and water, its also rough so armor is recommended as well as a stout rig. The wash was deep with sand last time out at Area 52, so an AWD/4x4 or at a minimum a high clearance truck or van is recommended.

Cell: Fittytwo Zero - twohundred and five- twenty 13.

Ciao.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SunDog; 12-03-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Pivotal figure
    I got the Runt all polished up and the suspension got the full factory tuneup
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

caninus xerophilous
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I got the Runt all polished up and the suspension got the full factory tuneup
    Thats a good thing, as you will need every micron of travel out there.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog

Cell: Fittytwo Zero - twohundred and five- twenty 13.

Ciao.
    Darn it, my fractured shoulder is not up to that kind of fun yet. I've been wanting to join you guys on an Area 52 adventure - hopefully next time. But now I have you programmed in my cell in case I'm ever down in Tucson lost on the trails!!

love the pic

Pivotal figure
    I been practicing my slopestyle moves too. Gonna bust a treesittywhip on that suka!

caninus xerophilous
    I been practicing my slopestyle moves too. Gonna bust a treesittywhip on that suka!
    Nice, I'll be rolling the Red Runt with my helmet cam to catch some of that action! I might pack a 2x4 to make some skinnies.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Nice, I'll be rolling the Red Runt with my helmet cam to catch some of that action! I might pack a 2x4 to make some skinnies.
    The red runt is going to need new rubber soon. I think something a little wider with a bigger knobby would be an improvement.

I might join you this Sunday and bring a camera.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Area 52 is tough…prepare well~

Pre-ride maintenance and lube…
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Pivotal figure
    Gotta make sure that reflector is perfectly aligned

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Gotta make sure that reflector is perfectly aligned
    Well, when I put the road wheels on it and crank out the miles, it is good to be visible and safe…one can never be too safe.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Pivotal figure
    That's what it's missing! Some super skinny tires and Time pedals Look out Lance...

caninus xerophilous
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    The red runt is going to need new rubber soon. I think something a little wider with a bigger knobby would be an improvement.

I might join you this Sunday and bring a camera.
    Viva Che'!

caninus xerophilous
    That's what it's missing! Some super skinny tires and Time pedals Look out Lance...
    I am making a sling so that I can haul it up onto the mesa where the big stuff is.

caninus xerophilous
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Darn it, my fractured shoulder is not up to that kind of fun yet. I've been wanting to join you guys on an Area 52 adventure - hopefully next time. But now I have you programmed in my cell in case I'm ever down in Tucson lost on the trails!!

love the pic
    Only if you go Runt!

Pivotal figure
    Hey Louis, is the meeting spot the Florence Coolidge Hwy just West of 79? Looking on google earth and I don't see Hwy 89 or Kelvin.

AKA shitbird
    Hey would a big fat 8" travel bike do ok out there or is there alot of pedalling involved to hit the freeride spot?
    JRA

mtbr member
    SD is a crazy MOFO. Can you realy pull that big ring on that red bike, stud.
    JRA

caninus xerophilous
    Hey Louis, is the meeting spot the Florence Coolidge Hwy just West of 79? Looking on google earth and I don't see Hwy 89 or Kelvin.
    My bad, its HWY 79. If you take US 60 east out of AJ and hit the HWY 79 south to Florence. Drive past the prisions on the left and you will shortly pass through Florence and cross two canals, the second is the CAP, you should be on HWY 79 headed south towards Tucson. Just passed the CAP canal you will find the KKH turn off to the left.

Louis

caninus xerophilous
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    Hey would a big fat 8" travel bike do ok out there or is there alot of pedalling involved to hit the freeride spot?
    We ride Uzzi's out there, they are 7.9", with out to much trouble.

Where we park is on the lower freeride stuff, which is a good warm up. Then we climb a few hundred feet up various parts of the mesa and scoot from session spot to session spot, incorperating some nice techie DH/FR sections. There is climbing as we traverese the mesa but not anything approaching the likes of the hike a bikes on Greenie, Bugs, Millie. Like I said its very similar to the Bartlett Wash Mesa in Moab.

caninus xerophilous

Cancelled

Due to bailoutatitus

mtbr member

sorry bro

wE WILL BE BOCK....Looking for backyard action or GMM...

Maui Grown
    SunDog -
    Helimech and I were thinking of Area 52 on Saturday the 13th. Wanna show us around?

caninus xerophilous
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    SunDog -
    Helimech and I were thinking of Area 52 on Saturday the 13th. Wanna show us around?

Perhaps, there or Oak Flats. CJ and I rolled out there this weekend and we were reminded what a riot that place is on FR/AM rigs and Runts too.

The Trilas MC riders have carved an extensive trail network out there on some Goosberryish terrain. MC trials rider trails equal some fun natural FR/trail riding!

Access is far easier and for you Phonecians, it way closer than Area 52 and a regular car can get you to the Oak Flats Camping ground a mile or so after the tunnel on US 60 after Superior. You guys should ride it as its going to be a mine pit in the future.

caninus xerophilous
    Quote Originally Posted by mhykhelle
    wE WILL BE BOCK....Looking for backyard action or GMM...
    No worries.

Happy Relo!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Perhaps, there or Oak Flats. CJ and I rolled out there this weekend and we were reminded what a riot that place is on FR/AM rigs and Runts too.

The Trilas MC riders have carved an extensive trail network out there on some Goosberryish terrain. MC trials rider trails equal some fun natural FR/trail riding!

Access is far easier and for you Phonecians, it way closer than Area 52 and a regular car can get you to the Oak Flats Camping ground a mile or so after the tunnel on US 60 after Superior. You guys should ride it as its going to be a mine pit in the future.
    It is beautiful out there.If you know how to read/find trails, there is an extensive network. Most of the crazy drops had 'go arounds' so I wasn't walking all day. I'll do a post on it with riding pics.

Here's a look at the landscape.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast