mtbr member
    Oct 2004

FR Bike Rentals near South Mtn??

Was hoping to get some 411 on a place that rents/demos 5+ inch bikes in the Pheonix area.

I've got a group of guys heading down that way to escape the snow in CO, and was hoping that we could avoid the hassles of boxing up our bikes for the trip, but so far have only found Jamis and Giant Trance rentals... While these are fine bikes, they don't sound like the types of bikes I'm willing to risk my bones on when ripping the Waterfall and etc on National and other trails!!

Ultimately, I'd REALLY jsut want to ride my own Titus SB, but flying with a bike box doesn't sound like all that much fun either.....

I've talked with Cactus Bikes, and SpokeMen's. Any others that anyone can point me too??

Thanks!

I am Walt
    Try South Mountain Cycles:
    http://smcycles.com/

I would say them or Cactus.
    Ride more; post less...

Fragile - must be Italian
    So you're annoyed at the prospect of renting a Giant Trance or Jamis (probably the Dakar XLT)? Huh...both are very good mid-travel bikes. If you're looking to find a boutique bike like a Titus or Turner, good luck. Most shops around here quit doing demos of higher-end bikes for an obvious reason...lots of $$ and little return in the investment. Plus, MTB loaners get trashed very quickly and aren't worth selling after a year of abuse. That's why you will only find mass-produced brands as loaners: Giant, Trek, Jamis, etc.

When I visited Denver last year the best "rental" bike I could find was a Trek Fuel EX at Wheatridge Cyclery. Only 2 other shops in the area had rental bikes and
    they were worse than what Wheatridge had to offer. The bike was the lowest-end model Fuel EX (like Fuel 90), so it was a heavy bear to ride (my own ride at the time was an XTR level Giant NRS). And I was charged $100 for the day! But I got to ride some awesome singletrack in the Apex park so in the end all was good.

Moral of the story -- if you own a top end or boutique bike and want to ride one when you travel, bring your own. Otherwise expect to rent something lesser. You will still have lots of fun on the Jamis or Giant.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    dgangi, I hear what you're saying, just making sure I know all my options before I make a decision. Thanks for the input.

Too bad all bike areas aren't Moab or Fruita, where you can rent pretty much anything....

FYI, next time you're up this way, several shops in Boulder will rent Specialized and Trek bikes, and if you have the $$$ you can demo Ellsworth, Maverick and SC etc...

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Try South Mountain Cycles:
    http://smcycles.com/

I would say them or Cactus.
    I called SMC for rental info the other day for my brother and they quit renting. not sure why, but it's done I guess.

some friends of mine rented from cactus last weekend and it worked out great. they were mello about the drop off time when we were a bit late. I reccommend them.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoBikr
    dgangi, I hear what you're saying, just making sure I know all my options before I make a decision. Thanks for the input.

Too bad all bike areas aren't Moab or Fruita, where you can rent pretty much anything....

FYI, next time you're up this way, several shops in Boulder will rent Specialized and Trek bikes, and if you have the $$$ you can demo Ellsworth, Maverick and SC etc...
    I visit Denver often, so I would appreciate any information you can give me on shops that demo Ellsworth, Maverick, etc. Like I said in my last post, I already know where to get my hands on a $100/day low-end Trek (which I will probably not do again). Specialized demo's most likely won't be any better than the Trek demos.

Here in Phoenix your best bet for a rental/loaner is Cactus Bikes. That is the best "no-fuss" place near South Mtn to get a bike. Every other shop I know that still demos bikes are a pain about it. Cactus will rent you a Jamis Dakar XLT, which is a heavy/stout 5" bike (perfect for National abuse). Sure there are better bikes out there, but you will have a great time on the Jamis.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    -ship your frames fedex ground well insured
    -put wheels in a cardboard box and check as luggage
    -put forks and other bits in your normal suitcase
    -MitchB