mtbr member

fox shorts question

i noticed a few of you mentioned liking the fox mid ranger shorts in the past. i've noticed the '06's on clearance at a few places online but i've heard they run a bit on the small side.

anyone have the '06's and can tell me how they fit compared to what size you normally wear in other brands?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    i noticed a few of you mentioned liking the fox mid ranger shorts in the past. i've noticed the '06's on clearance at a few places online but i've heard they run a bit on the small side.

anyone have the '06's and can tell me how they fit compared to what size you normally wear in other brands?
    I've got a couple pairs of '05's, I think. I love them. I don't think they run small; I wear the same size as other brands...but then again, I don't have any other brands...
    Ride more; post less...

Sam
    Not to hijack, but what places?

thanks,

Sam

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I tried both the 06's and the 07's and they ran a size small in 34's and a size large in 36's. I wear 34 size pants to work every day and they are somewhat big on my waist.

I ended up with a pair of Specialized Trail Shorts which fit great but the whole liner not attached to the shorts will take getting used to. I also bought a pair from the Groundeffect guys in New Zealand, the Double Happy's. These fit better than the Specialized's but I am not sold on the fit of the liner yet.

I just didn't like the size variation of the Foxes but I would imagine that is only a problem for a few people.

Edit: The guys at SoMo Cycles had some Foxes for 55 bucks.

mtbr member
    wheelworld and greenfish
    cambriabike as well but you'll need to pricematch from one of the above...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    I tried both the 06's and the 07's and they ran a size small in 34's and a size large in 36's. I wear 34 size pants to work every day and they are somewhat big on my waist.
    so are you saying the 34's fit more like 32's?

i wear a M/32 in everything.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    so are you saying the 34's fit more like 32's?

i wear a M/32 in everything.
    I read the reviews and discovered that most bought a size higher than they normally do. I went to SoMo and bought my usual 34 pants size and the waist band was simply too small for me. I went back, swapped them out for a 36 and the waist band was fine but the liner was ridiculuously big. I gave in and the got the Specialized's (80 bucks) which work great, don't look as cool, but I chose fit and function over appearance. Warning though, they have a detached liner which work but are not ideal so I tried the Groundeffect pair (85 shipped) which work great also but still has a couple items that will take getting used to. I tried all kinds though before the Foxes

Just go to Performance or your LBS and try a pair on and see if they fit or if they don't have a dressing room just buy them and return them if they don't fit. I bet you will fit in 34s if your normal size is 32 but try them first. Like I said though SoMo guys had the Mid-rangers for 55 bucks so if they fit that's a pretty good deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    I read the reviews and discovered that most bought a size higher than they normally do. I went to SoMo and bought my usual 34 pants size and the waist band was simply too small for me. I went back, swapped them out for a 36 and the waist band was fine but the liner was ridiculuously big. I gave in and the got the Specialized's (80 bucks) which work great, don't look as cool, but I chose fit and function over appearance. Warning though, they have a detached liner which work but are not ideal so I tried the Groundeffect pair (85 shipped) which work great also but still has a couple items that will take getting used to. I tried all kinds though before the Foxes

Just go to Performance or your LBS and try a pair on and see if they fit or if they don't have a dressing room just buy them and return them if they don't fit. I bet you will fit in 34s if your normal size is 32 but try them first. Like I said though SoMo guys had the Mid-rangers for 55 bucks so if they fit that's a pretty good deal.
    thanks!

I am Walt
    So I'm a 33-ish waist and the Fox 34's fit me fine. I can see how they would be snug if you are a 34.
    Ride more; post less...

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    So I'm a 33-ish waist and the Fox 34's fit me fine. I can see how they would be snug if you are a 34.
    I am still pissed they didn't fit. They look better then either pair I have.

mtbr member
    I bought a pair of the Epic shorts on sale for $80 (normally $120) and I'm not to impressed by the chamois (I assume both shorts use the same chamois):

The edges of the chamois are too stiff, they are uncomfortable against my legs. Also, the chamois is too short, resulting in "plumbers crack" when riding.

Sizing:
    I wear size 32 blue jeans. The chamois that comes with the size 32 shorts was way too tight, but the shorts fit correctly. I had to buy a size 34 to get the proper size chamois, but now the shorts are a bit too big.

Solution: Buy the "Cannondale Baggy Fitness Shorts", I got mine at performance for $32 but it doesn't look like they carry them anymore. The shorts are pretty basic, but the chamois is the best I've ever used. If I have a long ride planned I'm wearing this chamois for sure.

They look like this:

http://www.bikesmart.com/index.cfm?m....99&StartRow=1
    -MitchB

Ouch, I am hot!
    I think the Fox shorts may be a "love em or hate em" type deal. I love the Mid-Rangers and High Frequency shorts to death. They are my favorite baggies of all the ones I have tried. These are - Oakley, Pearl Izumi, Nema (all models), Zoic and Supergo cheepies.

I like the outer poly, suide like shell better than the noisy nylon shells the others use. And, although many of the older mtbr reviews say the material is hot and fragile, I have not found this to be true. In terms of durability, they are absolutely the best I have had. In terms of heat, I have never had an issue. I find the shorts no worse than any of the others.

Negatives - they are a bit prone to "plumber's crack"/rear slippage.

Several people I know dig these shorts, such as Walt, Conservationist and Cycljunkie.
    I AM JUST A JERK

my knees hurt
    Fox epics are my favorites...wear size 32 jeans and the 32 epics fit me perfect....I feel that the chamois is fine, if it was bigger I think it would be too bulky like on my izumi baggies...shorts are such a personal opinion, kind of like a saddle....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you would achieve if you knew you could not fail.

http://endurancerehab.com/

Large wheels & one gear
    I just bought my first pair a month ago and love them. In th past I always wore Hoss Ponderosa shorts. Those also have a shell kinda like the mid-rangers. I found that the Fox shorts are fitting me great....when I can actually slide them on.

I really should join the weight challenge...
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

[SIZE=1]ChemBright Carpet & Upholstery LLC[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedsycip
    Fox epics are my favorites...wear size 32 jeans and the 32 epics fit me perfect....I feel that the chamois is fine, if it was bigger I think it would be too bulky ~ shorts are such a personal opinion, kind of like a saddle....
    x2.
    I have 2 pair, both fit the same, one pair '06, one pair '07. They fit me so perfect, wear so well, and vent so well, that I'll not look elsewhere.
    My bikes, Slayer 70 and Switch 2

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedsycip
    Fox epics are my favorites...wear size 32 jeans and the 32 epics fit me perfect....I feel that the chamois is fine, if it was bigger I think it would be too bulky like on my izumi baggies...shorts are such a personal opinion, kind of like a saddle....
    Hey dude, can you explain the differences between the Mid-Rangers/High Frequency and the Epics? I may try a pair, but need to know if it is worth the extra $. I see that the liners are detachable? How is that used?
    I AM JUST A JERK

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H.
    x2.
    I have 2 pair, both fit the same, one pair '06, one pair '07. They fit me so perfect, wear so well, and vent so well, that I'll not look elsewhere.
    Mike, I thought you just wore hockey shorts with a cup.

Thanks, for all the input everybody. I ordered myself a pair of mid rangers and can't wait to try them. I too am a 33 waist. I used to wear Nema and old Fox shorts and they just seemed too poofy to me. So I gave up and just considered saddle soreness as a part of the game but hopefully these will work!

mtbr member
    I have two pair of Fox shorts - '05 Mid Ranger and '05 High Frequency. I've been really happy with both and decided last year to buy a pair of '06 Mid Rangers that were discounted online somewhere. Other than being different colors, the '06 was identical to the '05 I already owned, so I ordered the same size (34). The '06 shorts were way smaller, to the point that I couldn't even get them on. Later on, I tried on a pair of '06 High Frequencies and found that they too were considerably smaller than my '05 pair. I ended up buying some Oakleys that fit spot on.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    The fox epic uses a regular lycra short underneath that just loops in. You can easily take it out and replace it with something you like (I like the fancy roadie shorts)
    The liner that comes with it is a step up from most built-in liners, but still well short of a pactimo, pearlizumi or whatever zillion dollar lycras you prefer.
    I like how the fox epic vents wonderfully, and the welded seams which make them feel about as good as you can get without just riding in the roadie lycras.

I love not feeling like a tool when I go into circle K, and having regular pockets to put stuff in. Also you can get Epics in a not-black color, good for the sun. AND they have reflective stuff on them.

more beers, lees gears.
    so I have epic & Mid ranger shorts. Im a 34, both shorts are a 34.

The epics have a button/fly front, which is great. The mid rangers dont. I notice its hard to get the midrangers up over my quads & arse. but once on, fit a bit loose. The epics fit great.

Both Chamois look the same, but I swear my mid rangers feel better on a long ride. But the epics have nice pockets, an mp3 player holder in the back, and zippered vents front & back. I probably wear the epics more.