Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Fox Forks ....No longer made in the USA?

I guess there is still White Bros.

Improve operating and supply chain efficiencies
    We intend to improve operating margins in the medium term by enhancing our design and production processes to increase efficiencies, reducing new product time to market and lowering production costs. Specifically, we have begun the process of moving a majority of the manufacturing of our mountain bike products to Taiwan and intend to complete this process in 2015. We believe this transition to Taiwan, once completed, will shorten production lead times to our mountain bike OEM customers, improve supply chain efficiencies and reduce manufacturing costs.

FORM S-1

mtbr member

Re: Fox Forks ....No longer made in the USA?

Only loyalty now is to the stockholders... Gotta cut costs to pay those dividends. Kinda surprised it took this long to be honest considering the size of fox.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

dirt visionary
    I figured the would have learned from others mistakes..I remember another iconic brand moving production and losing alot of their faithful customers . I was one of them .
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    I figured the would have learned from others mistakes..I remember another iconic brand moving production and losing alot of their faithful customers . I was one of them .
    I hear you. Today, I refuse to buy another Cannondale product; all I have from them, is their awesome vintage stuff.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

blog hogs
    Feb 2010
    I don't think of it as another bike company selling out.
    I think about how screwed up our economy is that it's sooooooo much cheaper for them to do this.
    Ignore them till they go away.It's corporate policy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blog hogs View Post
    I don't think of it as another bike company selling out.
    I think about how screwed up our economy is that it's sooooooo much cheaper for them to do this.

Well it's going to be even more screwed up with more people being unemployed , could be a reason the unemployment level doesn't drop. It comes down to corporate greed and shows just how much these corporations value their employees.

This year.............here are just a few moving to Taiwan or China

Jones bikes
    Spot Brand bikes
    Club ride cycling Apparel

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Too bad Fox... I like you but mostly because you are USA made. After paying $600 for a Rockshox that had crooked lowers and them not being able to remedy it because all of their production that year had crooked lowers I am definitely for whatever is cheaper when it comes from Taiwan.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Too bad Fox... I like you but mostly because you are USA made. After paying $600 for a Rockshox that had crooked lowers and them not being able to remedy it because all of their production that year had crooked lowers I am definitely for whatever is cheaper when it comes from Taiwan.
    I doubt the retail on fox will drop despite the move.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    I doubt the retail on fox will drop despite the move.
    I won't drop. Guess who is paying for their move? Uh-huh....

AZ
    banned
    When people demand the lowest possible price coupled with the need to maximize shareholder returns there is little choice.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I wonder if the taiwanese-made ones will get full travel?

Workin for the weekend!
    Asia doesn't have the obstacles that North America is saddled with.... Safety standards, labour unions, taxation, environmental legeslation, etc.... The American dream is gone, the Asian dream has begun. Time to spectate and enjoy the mediocrity until the Asians handcuff themselves with the same rules.

I am Bob
    totally OT, I know, but i was reading a car magazine the other day and came across this message from the CEO of Weathertech.
    http://www.weathertech.com/assets/1/...o_you_1212.pdf
    impressive words. Seems like he's putting his money where is mouth is too since it's very likely that making floor mats in somewhere else is cheaper per unit.

Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Asia doesn't have the obstacles that North America is saddled with.... Safety standards, labour unions, taxation, environmental legeslation, etc.... The American dream is gone, the Asian dream has begun. Time to spectate and enjoy the mediocrity until the Asians handcuff themselves with the same rules.
    It's already begun. There was a dot-com boom/bust....there will also be an Asian mfg boom/bust. Wait for it.....

Dropshot Champ!
    This is a good move for them. Maybe the forks will work better now?

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Good possibility. Taiwan craftsmanship and skill blows away, that of Communist, Mainland China. In fact - if Fox went to China....I'd never buy them again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I actually question whether or not some of their recent issues are from overseas manufacturing. I have read several rumors over the past couple of years online that they already started sourcing the lowers and uppers from overseas and assembling everything here... I contacted them twice before whether their forks were Made in the USA and both times they responded that they are produced in the US or something of that nature... They wouldn't say they are made in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    I guess there is still White Bros.
    I contacted White Bros. last year to inquire where their product is made. They informed me that they source from overseas and do the final machining in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Relevant article - 29% of San Francisco air pollution comes from Asia.

I guess, however, if they are an OEM supplier this transition makes sense. Why import core pieces and assemble in the U.S. only to ship back overseas to be boxed with the bike. I believe this is the loss of infrastructure in the U.S. that they all warned us about...
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 08-21-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    I actually question whether or not some of their recent issues are from overseas manufacturing. I have read several rumors over the past couple of years online that they already started sourcing the lowers and uppers from overseas and assembling everything here...
    Ah the old made in the USA with foreign components. Slapping together forks probably pays what $10-$12/hr? Although they could be taking cues from the auto industry and paying folks with only hs diplomas $40ish/hr to tighten down bolts. Could help explain the ridiculous cost of suspension components.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ah the old made in the USA with foreign components. Slapping together forks probably pays what $10-$12/hr? Although they could be taking cues from the auto industry and paying folks with only hs diplomas $40ish/hr to tighten down bolts. Could help explain the ridiculous cost of suspension components.
    I'm sure the cost to the consumer for their forks will decrease as soon as they start manufacturing in Taiwan.

mtbr member
    As unfortunate as it is, I can see why they would do it. Obviously everything is cheaper, and now they are much closer to their main customers. Makes a ton of sense on paper, unfortunately.

Also, unfortunately, almost nothing is fully made here. To be legally 'made in the USA', you are able to import essentially all parts and slap them together here. There is only a small percentage of the work that needs to be done here.

I remember one day when a US bike switched to overseas manufacturing and the bikes turned out better, unfortunately.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes. I'm not sure if everyone else knows this, but it's not suspension techs that are putting your fork together. It's minimum paid workers that know nothing about the products they are making, except which parts fit together and how to torque them, etc. These aren't the people you get on the phone when you call up Fox...ever.

We demand they move to asia. We demand this because we have mutual funds and invest in their companies, in addition to others in the money system, we demand they maximize profits and bring the next innovation, we demand this by buying their products and we expect lighter and better performing products the next year. It's the cycle of capitalism.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    If you want pride, buy 'Mercian.
    If you want consistent quality, tolerances, and a fair price, unfortunately, overseas is the only way anymore.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Good possibility. Taiwan craftsmanship and skill blows away, that of Communist, Mainland China. In fact - if Fox went to China....I'd never buy them again.
    idk man, the 16yr old chinese boy that made my frame (and probably made 25 a day for the last seven years of his life) did a pretty good job.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    I'm sure the cost to the consumer for their forks will decrease as soon as they start manufacturing in Taiwan.
    Only the low-mid tier, most likely.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

My other ride is your mom
    Whatevs....you can build thousand dollar fork parts here or over there....but if your non-existent/functional QA process allows for forks to go out with improper oil levels, faulty seals and more....does it really matter where it's made?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast