DFMBA.org

Fox Float 29 dust wiper/foam ring service interval in AZ?

I'm posting this in the Arizona forum because I want to see what AZ riders are doing about the subject service. Fox says 30 hours and maybe that's reasonable for our dry, hot climate. Also, are you guys replacing the dust wiper AND the foam ring both each time you perform this service? I don't wanna cheap out on my suspension service but I don't want to spend unnecessarily.

I plan on doing this service myself as it looks pretty easy based on guides and videos I've seen, and it gives me an opportunity to learn more about the intricacies of the bike.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I replace wipers when they start to leak, not before. I resoak foam rings in 10 weight every time I change oil in the lowers. I don't replace them unless they're torn.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It seems to me as though the 30 hour interval seems to be a little aggressive depending on the type of riding you do. I would think that Blatant and the NCC type folks would probably be in need of servicing their fork a little more often than some other riders since they are typically really working their fork a lot in the big chunky stuff.

I ride some of the aggressive chunk but also a lot of cross country style riding. I am certain that my riding is probably no where near as aggressive as what they are doing so I'm probably not working the fork as much as they are.

I service my fork about once a year or sooner if the seals start to leak. My last service was under one year and I had about 150 hours on the fork. The seal on the air chamber side started to leak which prompted me to do the change. The oil in the damper side was still in pretty good shape even after 150 hours. Still green and no mung.

You may want to change it sooner than that but it may depend on they type of riding you do.

If I was going to replace the dust seal I would go ahead and replace the foam rings since they are still holding the old oil in them. They come with the dust seal kit.

DC

My other ride is your mom
    As others have said, just do it when they start to leak. I was doing my float about every year, but based on how plush it feels after service, I suspect that perhaps for optimal performance, every 9 months. What I mean by that is that the change in performance is occurring so slowly that you just get used to your suspension running less than optimal. These rates are based on when I was riding 3000 miles/year.....75% of the time down here in the Valley, 25% up on the Coco. I suspect that if you're running most of the time on the Coco, your service life may be less than down in the valley based on the particulate size/type that you're riding in. It seems every time I service suspension or my hubs...all I find is red dust.

mtbr member
    Maad has the best method. Pick an interval and try it. If things look great-stretch it out a little more, or if you notice a great improvement shorter the interval up some. Service intervals are dependent on so many factors its impossible to pick just one. I am on the new learning curve for the X-Fusion. Am close to 500 miles and will service at 750. Its a 80mm fork and I run it soft running through the travel quite often during a ride.

FWIW-I always used stock seals (except when Fox ones really sucked there for awhile) and had one set of foams on hand just incase one was bad. Started replacing them every other service since they seemed a little stretched out, and if they are not making good contact with the fork slider, then they are not doing thier job. On the plus side, I got to play with oil levels, brands and weights and got my forks better and better each time. dang-I am getting excited now, might do my service now!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

DFMBA.org
    Great advice all, thank you. One of the reasons I'm asking (and I should've stated this in my OP) is that I'm getting some 'paste' streaks on my stancions. It's a mix of oil and dirt but it's a paste-like, streaky deposit and not wet. I'm thinking my forks are dry even though they're 6 months new about 30-40 miles/month. In any event, I'm gonna take off the lowers and see what's going on.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If they are leaking, replace them immediately. The paste made with Az silt (especially red) makes an excellent anodizing remover. One ride can be all it takes to remove the pretty Kashima coat from your CSU.
    Every fork I have serviced in Sedona has contaminated foam rings. Most are just black or red, but have enough dirt in them to warrant replacing. Some are actually muddy, acting like a sanding sponge on the stantions.
    I know that the stated service intervals seem insane. You have to keep in mind that current forks hold around 30ml of oil in each leg for lube, and take a hell of a beating in really nasty conditions. 30ml is a tiny amount, and gets contaminated quickly.
    If you can't swallow what the shop charges to service your suspension, learn to service it yourself. You will be astounded by the performance increase that accompanies routine maintenance, and keep those expensive repairs at bay. CSU's are not cheap.

Fox seals come with the foam ring. Soak with oil before install.