mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Flying into Tucson this weekend. Recommendations from locals on riding/rental??

Flying into PHX this Saturday and arriving in Tucson around 2PM. Looking for a place to rent a Trail 29er (wouldn't mind renting a Pivot 429/Tallboy to try one out). Any suggestions on a LBS would be great.

Have all day to ride on Sunday(heat has got to be pretty hard on the body this time of the year) and would also be riding the following Friday before I fly back out on Saturday the 31st.

Would also like to meet up with a few folks to ride some decent trails on Sunday the 25th and the 31st. Don't want to ride any 4-5" drops, but I have been riding for over 10 years and have good biking background.

It looks like I am going to be staying at the Viscount Suite Hotel at 4855 East Broadway, about how far am I from a major trailhead/LBS.

Thanks for the help in advance...
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    All I found looking at rentals was a Trek Superfly 100 and a GT Sensor, falling into my 29er Full Suspension category, I guess this is likely the worst time to rent a bike with the heat and "in between" seasons, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Broadway has the Trek available and the GT was from RC...

Called Fairwheel and they do not have their new rental fleet in for two weeks...
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

High Desert MTBer
    Here's a link to something that may help, but I was looking a couple of weeks ago to see what was available as I wanted to try something new myself, and pickings are slim.

Where to Rent Bikes in Tucson - Tucson MTB

I do know Fairwheel have a 27.5 demo in that I am going to try soon. They might let you take that out. If you need places to ride, there's plenty of trail descriptions on Tucsonmtb.com, something for all tastes. Where you are staying is close to Mt lemmon, some good stuff up there, or there's some good trails over in the Tanque Verde that side of town. If you're going to drive at all tho, might as well hit up the 50 Year trail up in Catalina, or up in my area in the Tortolitas for something more challenging.
    It's all Here. Now.

My other ride is your mom
    I suggest AZT from pistol hill south to the cienega and back....search for AZT Jamboree route and it'll guide you....easy to follow....just ride it early or late in the day.

Ow!
    Tucson mtb is also the best place to plan a ride with locals. And, unless you are used to it, riding during the day in the desert right now is brutal. You might think about the Catalinas, which tucson mtb will be helpful for trails and riding partners. If insist on the desert, then I say 50-year trail area, especially the trails getting up in the foothills.

You might have trouble getting a specific bike for a rental, but you might also try Arizona Bicycle Experts. They carry Santa Cruz, but unsure if they rent. Years ago I rented a Specialized hardtail 29er from Fair Wheel. If not stuck on a 29er, there are likely 26ers available in town.

Plus size jersey model
    I can show you around on Sunday. Its not suppose to hit 100 so we should be good heat wise. AZT is a great trail and one of my favs like Rocker mentioned. The ride he's talking about is about 19 miles with options to add more. I am also like 4 blocks from where you are staying. Shoot me a PM with you contact info. I could also show you around Tucson Mountain park or pretty much anywhere. I would say Lemmon is nicer cause of the heat but the riding up there is very techy so the miles/time ration in the saddle is a little off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Shooting you a PM now...

Thanks to all that made suggestions/comments
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

suvlako
    Bigworm is the guy to talk to. What size bike are you on? I am currently out with a bumdee shoulder so I won't be using mine. If you are a large I can give it to Biggie so you can shred. It's a 2013 Enduro Carbon in case you decide to get loose. I will loan it you you for rides if you wanna make a small donation. Vern can give you the details.

mtbr member
    chiva falls is epic gnar bro
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako View Post
    Bigworm is the guy to talk to. What size bike are you on? I am currently out with a bumdee shoulder so I won't be using mine. If you are a large I can give it to Biggie so you can shred. It's a 2013 Enduro Carbon in case you decide to get loose. I will loan it you you for rides if you wanna make a small donation. Vern can give you the details.
    Thanks for the generosity!! Large would likely be a bit big for me. Looks like I'll be demoing a Pivot Mach 5.7 from Fairwheel, I was hoping to try out a MAch 429, but the 5.7 will do, it's been a few years since I have been on a 26" wheeled bike so it should be fun...
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd