Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    46

    Flooding along Elden's East-side trails

    Yesterday's rains did a good job washing-out portions of the trail system along the east side of Mt. Elden including: Sandy Seep and Little Elden. The road going into the horse camp from Elden Spring Road washed out pretty good as well.

    Here are a couple shots of the flooding and washed out sections of trail. These trail sections are all part of the AZT equestrian bypass (eastern route):

    This is a look at the Little Elden Trail from the intersection of Sandy Seep/ Christmas Tree/ Little Elden.
    Flooding along Elden's East-side trails-2013-07-17_11-38-11_215.jpg

    This is a look down the Sandy Seep trail from the same intersection as above. Same photo point, just turned to face down slope.
    Flooding along Elden's East-side trails-2013-07-17_11-38-23_838.jpg

    This is climbing up the Sandy Seep trail. This section of trail just got a lot harder...
    Flooding along Elden's East-side trails-2013-07-17_16-11-35_360.jpg

    This is along Little Elden Trail, just north of where the Heart Trail comes in.
    Flooding along Elden's East-side trails-2013-07-17_16-20-56_405.jpg

    I'm curious about how the trail repair process works. Can I grab some tools, like a McCloud, shovel and Pulaski, and work on repairing these trails myself or is there a formal process that needs to be followed? Most of the washed-out sections are in spots where abandoned forest service roads adjoin the trail network. In some instances the trails would be a lot more "sustainable" by rerouting them on higher areas adjacent to these old roads. I know this is probably a separate issue, and an entirely different process compared to making repairs to the trail along the existing route.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flooding along Elden's East-side trails-2013-07-17_16-21-05_205.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdcatnau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    529

    Flooding along Elden's East-side trails

    Anyone been on little bear since the most recent rain event? Last time I rode that trail it had some very loose sections (two months ago).

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,113
    Wow....is this flooding/damage exacerbated by last year's fire, or is it just par for monsoon season up there?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Wow....is this flooding/damage exacerbated by last year's fire, or is it just par for monsoon season up there?
    -No
    -yes
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chalkpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    593
    The Peaks district is often open to volunteers doing trailwork. Sean Murphy is the person to talk to. smurphy@fs.fed.us Ask if you can use a small trackhoe to reroute the erosion portion of the trail. That would be a real back saver. Best of luck.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark194's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    163
    I staying in Flag this weekend with the family and was going to bring our bikes. Looking at these photo's maybe we should leave them at home.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    I staying in Flag this weekend with the family and was going to bring our bikes. Looking at these photo's maybe we should leave them at home.
    Bad idea. Conditions are stellar. Those pics are not representative of all the trails and that area on the east side of Elden has a lot of steep, unsustainable sections that are prone to erosion during hard rain.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    120
    Two track rarely makes for fun or sustainable single track as those photos show. Maybe there will be some opportunity for some reroutes in these areas now.

  9. #9
    slower than you
    Reputation: rockychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Conditions are stellar.
    rockman's right. as far as bike-riding-in-the-woods goes here in FLG, it really doesn't get much better than the conditions we're enjoying right now. 360% of normal for rainfall on the month i heard yesterday; sure, that's gonna leave a few trails ripped down to bone. but it's also gonna make ya smile when ya ride the ones that aren't.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    I staying in Flag this weekend with the family and was going to bring our bikes. Looking at these photo's maybe we should leave them at home.
    I came up to Flag a couple of days ago and have ridden twice so far. This is the first time I've ridden in Flag and I'll agree with everyone else...the trails that I rode are in great shape. I took Schultz up to the AZ Trail and then over toward Snowbowl...and back. What an awesome place to ride. :-)

    Ironically, the trail that the OP posted was the trail I was going to do today but after seeing that I backed off from that one. (Thanks for the heads up singletracmind) I've got plenty of rocks like that in Phoenix.

    Definitely bring the bikes and keep an eye on the storms. I got completely wiped out by a storm on Wednesday.....sure was fun. :-)

  11. #11
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,232
    Bummer. Unfortunately next year will have even more run off. I have watched many fire scorched area produce heavy sediment run off in the third year after a decent fire on steep slopes.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    Bummer. Unfortunately next year will have even more run off. I have watched many fire scorched area produce heavy sediment run off in the third year after a decent fire on steep slopes.
    All right, just for the record the Schultz Fire was indeed an awful thing. But the flooding and trail damage described by the OP in this thread is no-where near the fire perimeter. And sediment run-off has abated quite a bit. The first storm in 2010 following the fire was the worst in terms of flooding and property damage. The slopes have stabilized or are still in the process of doing so and vegetation has taken hold. If you don't believe me, go ride Little Bear.

    The trail damage describe by the OP is strictly a result of poorly routed trail on steep slopes combined with a storm that dropped 3" of rain in less than an hour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flooding along Elden's East-side trails-schultz-fire.jpg  

    Flooding along Elden's East-side trails-shultzpass.jpg  

    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark194's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    163
    Bikes are loaded in the truck! Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Bad idea. Conditions are stellar. Those pics are not representative of all the trails and that area on the east side of Elden has a lot of steep, unsustainable sections that are prone to erosion during hard rain.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark194's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    163
    Thanks - I am staying at teh snowbowl cabins, from your post, I assume I can ride from there to the AZT down Schultz and back?

    Quote Originally Posted by DustyChap View Post
    I came up to Flag a couple of days ago and have ridden twice so far. This is the first time I've ridden in Flag and I'll agree with everyone else...the trails that I rode are in great shape. I took Schultz up to the AZ Trail and then over toward Snowbowl...and back. What an awesome place to ride. :-)

    Ironically, the trail that the OP posted was the trail I was going to do today but after seeing that I backed off from that one. (Thanks for the heads up singletracmind) I've got plenty of rocks like that in Phoenix.

    Definitely bring the bikes and keep an eye on the storms. I got completely wiped out by a storm on Wednesday.....sure was fun. :-)

  15. #15
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,232
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    All right, just for the record the Schultz Fire was indeed an awful thing. But the flooding and trail damage described by the OP in this thread is no-where near the fire perimeter. And sediment run-off has abated quite a bit. The first storm in 2010 following the fire was the worst in terms of flooding and property damage. The slopes have stabilized or are still in the process of doing so and vegetation has taken hold. If you don't believe me, go ride Little Bear.

    The trail damage describe by the OP is strictly a result of poorly routed trail on steep slopes combined with a storm that dropped 3" of rain in less than an hour.
    Soooorrry
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    Thanks - I am staying at teh snowbowl cabins, from your post, I assume I can ride from there to the AZT down Schultz and back?
    Yep, you can access the chunky moto/equestrian connector a 100 yds or so up Snowbowl Rd from the cabins. You could make a nice clockwise loop by climbing that and then staying straight at the intersection with AZ trail. After that it's a bit rocky but flows pretty good. When you get to the pipeline go straight across and climb West Secret/Quazimoto. Take Secret over toward's Schulz Tank. Descend Schultz and return on Fort Valley trail to Moto and then after a short climb hang a left on the AZ trail. If you're gassed at that point just return on the AZ trail at the intersection just before you get to Schultz Pass Rd.

    Or do an out and back on the AZ trail but it's not terribly interesting in that stretch. Get a bit higher up with some views, bracken firns, and trees other than Ponderosa Pines.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    Thanks - I am staying at teh snowbowl cabins, from your post, I assume I can ride from there to the AZT down Schultz and back?

    go all the way down and then call your mom to pick you up

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark194's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    163
    Your mom already volunteered...

    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    go all the way down and then call your mom to pick you up

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark194's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    163
    Thanks again for all the info rockman..

    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Yep, you can access the chunky moto/equestrian connector a 100 yds or so up Snowbowl Rd from the cabins. You could make a nice clockwise loop by climbing that and then staying straight at the intersection with AZ trail. After that it's a bit rocky but flows pretty good. When you get to the pipeline go straight across and climb West Secret/Quazimoto. Take Secret over toward's Schulz Tank. Descend Schultz and return on Fort Valley trail to Moto and then after a short climb hang a left on the AZ trail. If you're gassed at that point just return on the AZ trail at the intersection just before you get to Schultz Pass Rd.

    Or do an out and back on the AZ trail but it's not terribly interesting in that stretch. Get a bit higher up with some views, bracken firns, and trees other than Ponderosa Pines.

Similar Threads

  1. East side of the Sandias
    By giantbikeboy in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 03:56 PM
  2. east side info
    By AzKennedy in forum Arizona
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 09:57 PM
  3. XC tires...East side?
    By Snosaw in forum Washington
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 09:45 PM
  4. What do we have on the east side of...
    By Tank Girl in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 11:22 PM
  5. east side trail
    By JUNGLEKID5 in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •