Thread: Flood or Spot ?

Meatpuppet

Flood or Spot ?

I am in desperate need of some lights, and think it'll be the trailtech MR116 HID.
    I am not sure whether to go with the spot or the flood bulb. Any thoughts on the benefits of either?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrodr
    I am in desperate need of some lights, and think it'll be the trailtech MR116 HID.
    I am not sure whether to go with the spot or the flood bulb. Any thoughts on the benefits of either?
    More is better. More light, more coverage area, more sex, etc. So if the flood provides MORE, get the flood.
    Ride more; post less...

wrecking crew
    ...mmmmm....moooooreeeee!
    ~~~

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    ...mmmmm....moooooreeeee!
    Okay, where is this thread going?
    Can you hear me now?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Have you heard, I hear the price of bread is going up? Eggs too. Those grocery store companies just don't get it.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Meatpuppet
    Uh?

THanks?

Lets have some Kool-aid!
    Its better to have two lights. A flood on the bar and a spot on the helmet,

wheeeee!!!

flood.

I've got the mr11 trailtech, and I've had both bulbs. I prefer the flood. Are you sure you wanna go with the mr-16? supposed to be hella-bright. the mr11 has a much lower power draw, and is more than adequate for night riding. (same bulb and balast as NR/l&m/topeak, etc)

my 2cents.

Meatpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by butocabra
    I've got the mr11 trailtech, and I've had both bulbs. I prefer the flood. Are you sure you wanna go with the mr-16? supposed to be hella-bright. the mr11 has a much lower power draw, and is more than adequate for night riding. (same bulb and balast as NR/l&m/topeak, etc)

my 2cents.

Yeah, I decided on the flood.
    mabey the 16 would be overkill. Your 11 is plenty bright then?

wheeeee!!!

mr11 vs. mr 16.

The MR11 is the same bulb size that nr and the rest of them use. It draws about 11-13 watts depending on the ballast, and will run about 4 hrs on a standard 4000mah battery. The light yield is equivalent to a 35 watt halogen. It's a nice small form factor, and doesn't weigh your head down too much.
    I haven't seen the mr16 from trailtech, by their measurements it's twice as brite at about twice the power consumption. This sounds pretty great, however the size of the bulb is about double that of the mr11, same size as most landscape lighting. I've run mr16 sized halogens in a homebrew setup, and it was only doable as a bar mount. trailtech is selling into the mx market, and I suppose an mr16 on top of a fullface helmet wouldn't be too much additional burden, but on a lightweight xc lid it's a bit much. Also, if you ride with other people who only have the mr11, you'll annoy them. I remember being fine with a 20watt halogen bulb until everryone started using the hids, washing my light out... Also note that it's 110 bucks more for the light. mr 16 kits are 259 for a single, sans battery. mr 11 kits are 150, with 199 for a battery included.

Meatpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by butocabra
    The MR11 is the same bulb size that nr and the rest of them use. It draws about 11-13 watts depending on the ballast, and will run about 4 hrs on a standard 4000mah battery. The light yield is equivalent to a 35 watt halogen. It's a nice small form factor, and doesn't weigh your head down too much.
    I haven't seen the mr16 from trailtech, by their measurements it's twice as brite at about twice the power consumption. This sounds pretty great, however the size of the bulb is about double that of the mr11, same size as most landscape lighting. I've run mr16 sized halogens in a homebrew setup, and it was only doable as a bar mount. trailtech is selling into the mx market, and I suppose an mr16 on top of a fullface helmet wouldn't be too much additional burden, but on a lightweight xc lid it's a bit much. Also, if you ride with other people who only have the mr11, you'll annoy them. I remember being fine with a 20watt halogen bulb until everryone started using the hids, washing my light out... Also note that it's 110 bucks more for the light. mr 16 kits are 259 for a single, sans battery. mr 11 kits are 150, with 199 for a battery included.
    Thanks for the reply Butocabra.