Thread: Flick-ability

mtbr member

Flick-ability

flick |flik|
    noun
    1 a sudden sharp movement : the flick of a switch | a flick of the wrist.
    the sudden release of a bent finger or thumb, esp. to propel a small object : he sent his cigarette spinning away with a flick of his fingers.
    a light, sharp, quickly retracted blow, esp. with a whip.

This is my hardbound, ancient, but very useful dictionary say on the matter.
    And to use it as a verb.

verb
    1 he flicked the switch click, snap, flip, jerk.
    2 the horse flicked its tail swish, twitch, wave, wag, waggle, shake.
    3 she flicked the bike from turn to turn.

I have been having alot of fun on the intentional action of flicking a bike (no not a booger), on my typical rides and wondered about the rest of biking society. All this talk about the right tire, page after page of what works, what doesn't, what flys and what stinks. I think some riders are confusing tires with flick. Why spend $60 on a tire, hoping that somehow that tire will become the cat's meow, solving all your bikes shortcomings? Whereas, it is really the flick that you have been craving?

But unlike screaming into a bermed turn, the flick is a true measure of a bike's handling character. True, since a bike is light, all bikes flick, but after riding off-road motorcycles, where flick-ability really comes into play, I was thinking out loud to myself on another solo ride, "what make me tick? No, flick"?

What? You have never heard about flick? If you are a skier, snowboarder, wakeboarder, surfer, or anyone foolish to tie a board to your feet, then you have in the very least, applied the flick factor. You know what I'm talking about.

To the two-wheeled brethren, its all about that transition time between turns. As you come into a turn at or near your comfort speed, all the engineering... all those jobs for goober-sake have been working their collective tail off so you can apply a little flick into your ride! Its in the geometry. Its in the location of the pivots if you ride fs. Somehow it all suspossed to go back into what you feel out there on the trail.

But apply too much flick and you will certainly crash. Apply too much brake and you will not flick. Lean too far forward and your front wheel will wash out. Lean too far back and you will feel like a goober. Ride a bmx, and you will be known as "Mr. Flick" Ride a 29'r and you will have to work harder to get your flick on, if you know what I mean... Now, I'm not advocating that faster is better, but if you are having a day where you want to push your collective soul during the ride, pay attention to flick and report back.

Dave
    Flick-off man.

Just kidding, r you coming to do the C2C2C????? Flick yourself off that fence
    Dave
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Yah, I'm going. And everyone will flick.

mtbr member
    What the flick!?

Is this like drifting a bit as you go into the turn? The wretchedly loved carving as the tires bite into the dirt?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheahan
    What the flick!?

Is this like drifting a bit as you go into the turn? The wretchedly loved carving as the tires bite into the dirt?
    The flick is not really a carve. In a carve, its where the rider and bike is compressed into a turn. The point of where tires and suspension is doing their maximum thing. Also known as the engineers climax.
    The flick is at the end of that compression event, where the rider must now shift weight, angle, speed, and focus onto the next turn. Its that weightless event that sets you up the next change of terrain. And since we have to drag that piece of equipment with us into that event, its sure nice that that bike is light, has the right geometry, and looks really cool. Its all about paint and stickers you know.
    Anyway, I'm blabbing while waiting for the paint to dry on my current project and I'm really itching to be done with the task at hand. Pro-cras-ta-nation.

swashbucklerette
    Flick...it's not just for beans anymore.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    flick |flik|
    noun
    1 a sudden sharp movement : the flick of a switch | a flick of the wrist.
    the sudden release of a bent finger or thumb, esp. to propel a small object : he sent his cigarette spinning away with a flick of his fingers.
    a light, sharp, quickly retracted blow, esp. with a whip.

This is my hardbound, ancient, but very useful dictionary say on the matter.
    And to use it as a verb.

verb
    1 he flicked the switch click, snap, flip, jerk.
    2 the horse flicked its tail swish, twitch, wave, wag, waggle, shake.
    3 she flicked the bike from turn to turn.

I have been having alot of fun on the intentional action of flicking a bike (no not a booger), on my typical rides and wondered about the rest of biking society. All this talk about the right tire, page after page of what works, what doesn't, what flys and what stinks. I think some riders are confusing tires with flick. Why spend $60 on a tire, hoping that somehow that tire will become the cat's meow, solving all your bikes shortcomings? Whereas, it is really the flick that you have been craving?

But unlike screaming into a bermed turn, the flick is a true measure of a bike's handling character. True, since a bike is light, all bikes flick, but after riding off-road motorcycles, where flick-ability really comes into play, I was thinking out loud to myself on another solo ride, "what make me tick? No, flick"?

What? You have never heard about flick? If you are a skier, snowboarder, wakeboarder, surfer, or anyone foolish to tie a board to your feet, then you have in the very least, applied the flick factor. You know what I'm talking about.

To the two-wheeled brethren, its all about that transition time between turns. As you come into a turn at or near your comfort speed, all the engineering... all those jobs for goober-sake have been working their collective tail off so you can apply a little flick into your ride! Its in the geometry. Its in the location of the pivots if you ride fs. Somehow it all suspossed to go back into what you feel out there on the trail.

But apply too much flick and you will certainly crash. Apply too much brake and you will not flick. Lean too far forward and your front wheel will wash out. Lean too far back and you will feel like a goober. Ride a bmx, and you will be known as "Mr. Flick" Ride a 29'r and you will have to work harder to get your flick on, if you know what I mean... Now, I'm not advocating that faster is better, but if you are having a day where you want to push your collective soul during the ride, pay attention to flick and report back.

uhmmmm. no.

wrecking crew
    Interesting..."flicking" is a roadie term...It takes little to knock a man off a bicycle, particularly at high speeds; this is called flicking, from the German ficken--which means "to f*ck."
    ~~~

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Interesting..."flicking" is a roadie term...It takes little to knock a man off a bicycle, particularly at high speeds; this is called flicking, from the German ficken--which means "to f*ck."
    Su-Ling are you saying it's tougher to knock a women off her bike. And if so, is the one who does the flicking called a fu*ker
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Sweet, I've felt that on the track at AMA (superbike style motorcycles) "track days". Lean left, then shift weight to the right - the weightlessness that you were talking about - like floating... it's the wickedest part of the ride. LOL