Elitest thrill junkie

Flagstaffigans, hiking on the Peaks from Snowbowl?

Does anyone have any good info on how to get to the B-24 crash site from the trail that leads up the mountain? I've found some info, but it's a bit vague. We might be able to get someone that has done it before to come with us, but otherwise if anyone has any info that would help a lot.

Thanks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

My other ride is your mom
    It's easier to get to when snows down, so you're going to have a long slog up a boulder field (dutchmans) from the first switchbacks on humphries trail. PM me if you need the coords.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Jayem, what is the history behind that?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=598

Navigation training mission.....the navigator failed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The easiest way I can explain it is when you hit the switchback at the scree field just head up. You'll hit some trees at the top but keep going up and you'll come into another scree field where the wreck is.

A better way perhaps is to continue past the boulder field switchback (dutchmans glade) on the trail until you reach the second drainage off of Temptations....then head up drainage to the 11k elevation mark, then contour to the north until you reach the site.

ride more, blog less
    i'll be up there tonight in the snowbowl camp site... hit us up if you'd liuke to kick it.... we'll be riding all weekend...i had no idea there was a crash up there... imma hunt it dow now too....
    i like these odds....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thanks, I'll write these down. I'm pretty sure I saw it today as we flew by at 11,000' right next to the mountain. It was about 1/2 mile left of the top of the far-left ski-run.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    A better way perhaps is to continue past the boulder field switchback (dutchmans glade) on the trail until you reach the second drainage off of Temptations....then head up drainage to the 11k elevation mark, then contour to the north until you reach the site.
    I think I'm going to try this, based on what I saw.

good luck with the drainage.....i've not done it because it's a terrain trap in winter, but suspect it to be a better route in summer.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Traversing worked great. At the last switchback there is kind of a trail heading NW, from then on there are a few paths, some with rocks stacked every once and a while to let you know you are going the right way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flagstaffigans, hiking on the Peaks from Snowbowl?-spin-025a.jpg  

Last edited by Jayem; 08-14-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Few more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flagstaffigans, hiking on the Peaks from Snowbowl?-spin-023.jpg  

Flagstaffigans, hiking on the Peaks from Snowbowl?-spin-022.jpg  

Flagstaffigans, hiking on the Peaks from Snowbowl?-spin-017.jpg  

dirt visionary
    Thats cool stuff mang
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.