Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No mames guey

Flagstaff trail velcro: Work In Progress

This storm is a-rockin!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flagstaff trail velcro: Work In Progress-screen-shot-2011-07-18-12.37.13-pm.png  

mtbr member
    Over an inch at one of the gages in the burn area: http://www.jefuller.com/MapsADWR/schultz.html

pedaller
    Great for trails, not good for flash flood areas post burn...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    today is gonna be a good day!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gergroy View Post
    today is gonna be a good day!
    How right you were. I'm really digging this new trail. Double Agent, Twisted Sister, or also known as the plain old boring West Secret.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flagstaff trail velcro: Work In Progress-double-agent1.jpg  

Flagstaff trail velcro: Work In Progress-double-agent2.jpg  

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    How right you were. I'm really digging this new trail. Double Agent, Twisted Sister, or also known as the plain old boring West Secret.
    call it what you will (paging, dale! ) it's one of our best new trails, indeed. like many of the trails in that vicinity, i am consistently amazed it ever got sanctioned and built.

amazed, i tell you. amazed.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    call it what you will (paging, dale! ) it's one of our best new trails, indeed. like many of the trails in that vicinity, i am consistently amazed it ever got sanctioned and built.

Roger that. The rest of Secret is in really nice shape as well. Someone filled in the roots on that tough climb up to the overlook on Newham and there's a reroute of the 90 degree rock section that I can clean about 1 in a hundred tries.

And where did the AB tues morning ride go today?

slower than you
    Roger that. The rest of Secret is in really nice shape as well. Someone filled in the roots on that tough climb up to the overlook on Newham and there's a reroute of the 90 degree rock section that I can clean about 1 in a hundred tries.
    yeah. that reroute really chaps my hide. i've been practicing those rocks for at least 10 years only to be tempted each time to ride right past them now. hate that kind of thing.

And where did the AB tues morning ride go today?
    how would i know? wish i could say, but i've been at work 10+ hours a day since 05 july. including every tuesday. new job hard.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

Ahhh the pain....

OK....gotta ask....how do it find it? My usual is Schultz pass to secret to FR422, then up FR422... do you go straight across 422? if someone could do a e-markup of dales map, that'd be awesome...or if you have a gps track that includes that section, I'd appreciate that as well....
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    OK....gotta ask....how do it find it? My usual is Schultz pass to secret to FR422, then up FR422... do you go straight across 422? if someone could do a e-markup of dales map, that'd be awesome...or if you have a gps track that includes that section, I'd appreciate that as well....
    Does this help you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flagstaff trail velcro: Work In Progress-screen-shot-2011-07-19-8.12.37-pm.jpg  

Ahhh the pain....
    It does....thx!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    yeah. that reroute really chaps my hide. i've been practicing those rocks for at least 10 years only to be tempted each time to ride right past them now. hate that kind of thing.

how would i know? wish i could say, but i've been at work 10+ hours a day since 05 july. including every tuesday. new job hard.
    Is it that hard filling in for Ken while he's on his latest vacation? You must be up to something else if you're missing Tues morning shop rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    oh man thanks for the mapz (ok map) i gotta get up there and see for myself. and for the record, it was a particularly good day today. i did have my first and second t00bless burp today which i was not pleased with but aside from that the singletrack was heavenly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Do you mean 522? If so, you cross the rd and head toward's Supermoto but climb another 75 yards or so on old Secret and you'll see Double Agent take off to the left.

Also on the map tpvet posted is upper Dogfood or Dog Treat which is a relatively new trail burned in by the moto guys last year. It's nicely laid out and a makes a nice gradual climb to the Newham section of Secret.

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006

Why? Makes that trail rideable for the masses. This subject was already covered months ago. If you prefer you can still use the tech climb, but not all of us have such simple ways of padding our ego's
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Why? Makes that trail rideable for the masses. This subject was already covered months ago. If you prefer you can still use the tech climb, but not all of us have such simple ways of padding our ego's
    hmm, that's an interesting comment from the guy that 1) wants to change the rules so that he doesn't have to yield to uphill traffic, and 2) considers folks that require berms to corner as whiners that need to learn how to corner. There's many ways to get your ya ya on a bike. In this case, someone not associated with the FS, FBO, or the mobile trail crew has taken upon themselves to do maintenance on Secret in the past couple of weeks.

I'm not sure what you mean by this comment being covered before? This unsanctioned work has only occurred recently. Maybe it's the moto guys but it does raise an interested topic that maybe you're getting at. On one end of the spectrum there is a growing downhill segment (ie., Flagstaff Gravity Riders) pushing for the creation of trails with berms, jumps, and trannies. Trails that contour with the topography and use natural features to enhance the riding experience on downhill bikes. On the other end of the spectrum is the routing of the AZ trail through the Flagstaff area with new tread and incorporating older trails but groomed to be a magic carpet ride (ie., as you say a trail suitable for the masses). In the middle are other trails like Secret that still have a xc flow, are suitable for all users (bikes, motos, hikers, and horses), and also still have technical features and are fun to ride. Uphill or downhill.

The hard 90 degree move on Secret through the rock garden will still be there for those that want to try it. Perhaps in this case the reroute was needed. Personally, I'm ok with a braid that bypasses a fun technical feature but wishing it was the only way to go is not padding the ego. Is it that hard to get off the bike?

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    hmm, that's an interesting comment from the guy that 1) wants to change the rules so that he doesn't have to yield to uphill traffic, and 2) considers folks that require berms to corner as whiners that need to learn how to corner. There's many ways to get your ya ya on a bike. In this case, someone not associated with the FS, FBO, or the mobile trail crew has taken upon themselves to do maintenance on Secret in the past couple of weeks.

I'm not sure what you mean by this comment being covered before? This unsanctioned work has only occurred recently. Maybe it's the moto guys but it does raise an interested topic that maybe you're getting at. On one end of the spectrum there is a growing downhill segment (ie., Flagstaff Gravity Riders) pushing for the creation of trails with berms, jumps, and trannies. Trails that contour with the topography and use natural features to enhance the riding experience on downhill bikes. On the other end of the spectrum is the routing of the AZ trail through the Flagstaff area with new tread and incorporating older trails but groomed to be a magic carpet ride (ie., as you say a trail suitable for the masses). In the middle are other trails like Secret that still have a xc flow, are suitable for all users (bikes, motos, hikers, and horses), and also still have technical features and are fun to ride. Uphill or downhill.

The hard 90 degree move on Secret through the rock garden will still be there for those that want to try it. Perhaps in this case the reroute was needed. Personally, I'm ok with a braid that bypasses a fun technical feature but wishing it was the only way to go is not padding the ego. Is it that hard to get off the bike?
    Not really. When I get to a section of trails that my bicycle physically does not fit into, pedal strikes, axl widths, etc I look to go around. I am not going to pretend to be the worlds best climber, esp on a 34 pound trail bike but I do like to stay on as long as possible. I ride up to earn my turns, technical climbing is of no interest to me. I fel that there are much better ways to improve overall bike handeling skills, preferably above walking speed. So when there is an opportunity to go around a crappy section of rocky trail that seems to be easier to get off and hike I will take every advantage. I might have been a little harsh, too early in the am with out adequate coffee. I never advocated to remove the technical climb, some are into that sort of thing, I just think that options should be offered. And BTW that is a pretty good go-around for those not interested in tech climbs. Thanks to whoever improved it.
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Was up there last Saturday and it was EXTREMELY dry. Thanks goodness for the much needed rain in the non-burn areas. Love that section of trails still plenty technical
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Not really. When I get to a section of trails that my bicycle physically does not fit into, pedal strikes, axl widths, etc I look to go around. I am not going to pretend to be the worlds best climber, esp on a 34 pound trail bike but I do like to stay on as long as possible. I ride up to earn my turns, technical climbing is of no interest to me. I fel that there are much better ways to improve overall bike handeling skills, preferably above walking speed. So when there is an opportunity to go around a crappy section of rocky trail that seems to be easier to get off and hike I will take every advantage. I might have been a little harsh, too early in the am with out adequate coffee. I never advocated to remove the technical climb, some are into that sort of thing, I just think that options should be offered. And BTW that is a pretty good go-around for those not interested in tech climbs. Thanks to whoever improved it.
    Well, for you it's all about the down. I can't say I disagree with you wrt to this little section of crappy trail but this sort of attitude is how trails get wider. Going around a root instead of over it, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    personally i love technical climbs. completely different kind of stoke, maybe what my friend dave likes to call 'type b fun' which is the kind of fun that's only fun after its over.

i have to say thanks again for maps and info about double agent! went out with my ladyfriend up dogfood/treat to secret then down double agent/twisted sister, out rock lobster almost to snowbowl and then back on azt to shultz and trespass. Awesome ride! DA really blew my socks off, super fun and flowy. hats off to the builders/designers because they nailed it IMHO.

Maui Grown
    So how's the soil up on Elden right now? Will be riding up there tomorrow. Does it still have moisture or is it powder dry already? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    on wednesday it was already getting pretty dry at lower elevations, but the stuff higher up (generally above the pipeline, or above schultz) was still beautifully tacky. i'd bet its still great up high.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy View Post
    So how's the soil up on Elden right now? Will be riding up there tomorrow. Does it still have moisture or is it powder dry already? Thanks!
    I just rode the steep Jedi and then we did a Ginger and it was SICK! Not super wet but very good, I did just put on some new tires though. It's beautiful up there, maybe I'll see you on the hill tomorrow.

dirt visionary
    wish I could but those $$$$'s are calling.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Maui Grown
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I just rode the steep Jedi and then we did a Ginger and it was SICK! Not super wet but very good, I did just put on some new tires though. It's beautiful up there, maybe I'll see you on the hill tomorrow.
    You on a Highline, right? I'll keep an eye out for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast