mtbr member

Flagstaff trail suggestions

So, the wind is supposed to die down and I'm done with class early. Of course, I'm gonna ride.

My usual loop is start at Schultz and go up to Chimney? and take that and Flue over to Lower Moto and drop down to the Fort Valley trailhead. Then I take 164B over to the AZT connector and go east until the Secret TH and back in on Schultz. Or do Rocky Moto/Pipeline/Lower Moto/AZT Schultz.

I was wanting to put in a couple more miles tomorrow though. I was thinking about either heading to the Secret junction with the AZT and heading west until I get back to Rocky Moto/Pipeline then taking Lower Moto back in, or I was thinking about taking Schultz down to Little Gnarly/Brookbank/Rocky Ridge.

Which you think would be better? I'm just concerned how Secret rides east to west. Is it okay? Not just straight uphill or anything, right? Topo doesn't look too bad, but that's bitten me before. Little Gnarly/Brookbank/Rocky Ridge are within my confidence level, but I'd probably be pushing it in a few places.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Secret Trail east to west is doable. There are a couple steep rocky sections but it's definitely rideable. If you can ride Rocky Ridge, you'll be fine. I like to ride Secret to Upper Dogfood/pipeline/Lower Moto/Easter Island (trail with the big rock in the middle) and out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Secret east to west is awesome. You will be fine. I like secret to upper moto, or newham to upper moto. Take lower moto to easter island and out.

Secret to rocky moto to aztrail to lower moto, easter island is good too. That will be a good upper and lower body workout but nothing too hairball.

I just did a 40 mile loop from my house that included the FAR eastern portion of the AZT out to walnut canyon and fisher point. Holy BALLS that was a headwind! I don't remember the last time I was in my granny gear on flat ground

Ahhh the pain....
    EZ...a few of my favorite loops...
    Start at bottom of Schultz, up shultz to AZT turnoff, AZT over to moto, up moto to secret connector (which is twisted sister) and that back to Schultz pass. Then up climb3 all the way, then down sunset back to Schultz pass then back down to the parking lot.
    or
    Climb mt elden rd, take red onion connector, left past little bear turnoff, upper brookbank, little gnarly, secret over to twisted sister, rocky moto west to AZT, then back on the AZT.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I'm done with class early. .
    Slacker!!

Raybums suggestion sounds perfect!

Gonna be in town tomorrow night for a bit. Call ya if I head out.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Dog Food is a good option for gaining elevation.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Up road, down wasabi, back up red onion, up brook bank to dry lakes, down the real Jedi. Back up Shultz, up little gnarley, down ginger. Mans ride
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    down the real Jedi
    +1 on this. Episodes I, II, and III suck Jabba blubber.

mtbr member
    Well, I did Schultz. Chimney, FR164B, Connector, AZT, Secret, Pipeline, Lower Moto, Chimney, Schultz.

Bike Ride Profile | 23miles near Flagstaff | Times and Records | Strava

22.5 miles at a 9.1 MPH average. I was feeling good until I hit Secret. I stopped to have a bite to eat and take a whiz and it was like I hit the wall. Super sloppy, and I wound up walking a few parts that I normally should have been able to take. Once I got to the downhill part it was okay, maybe a little sloppy from being tired, but not bad. Secret is really one of those good/bad trails. I'd do it again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Re: Flagstaff trail suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Up road, down wasabi, back up red onion, up brook bank to dry lakes, down the real Jedi. Back up Shultz, up little gnarley, down ginger. Mans ride

where is ginger? also, brookbank to jedi descent is my favorite by far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong0 View Post
    where is ginger? also, brookbank to jedi descent is my favorite by far.
    Signatorj is referring to a different Jedi. Some refer to it as Sheepherder or MaryAnn but it's a different deal. Ginger drops off of Dry Lakes to Rocky Ridge and hopefully will be adopted with the new trail plan in the next year or two.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I remember when I found that years ago. It's amazing how some of those come out on/near Schultz, but you'll never see them going up, just too well camouflaged.

I've always found the best way to get out and find these trails is only to have a loose description of where they are (like "in the dry lake hills) and then get out there and explore for yourself. Too many people want the "quick fix", but everything I've found has been exploring for the most part, not looking at a map or a GPS all the time.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I remember when I found that years ago. It's amazing how some of those come out on/near Schultz, but you'll never see them going up, just too well camouflaged.

I've always found the best way to get out and find these trails is only to have a loose description of where they are (like "in the dry lake hills) and then get out there and explore for yourself. Too many people want the "quick fix", but everything I've found has been exploring for the most part, not looking at a map or a GPS all the time.
    Posted by someone who actually gets it.
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world