Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Flagstaff trail saboteur discovered!

Heads up yall! I ran into our Flag trail saboteur on Ginger yesterday while riding with two friends. He was hiking up as we were coming down and we all stopped without any issue. Since I have been keeping an eye out trying to figure out who I started a friendly conversation with the guy. I politely asked how his hike was and even though I had a feeling this was him I decided to use a non confrontational approach to get my point across. I told him my name and involvment with FGR/FBO and the local FS and that we needed help finding out who was placing the logs, rocks, and booby traps on the trails. I informed him that several people have been hurt from the debris and that if "he" were to run into "this" person that he should let them know that what they were doing was illegal and that we as bikers have just the same right to be there using the established social trail as he did as a hiker. I finished my speach up with that it was obvious that the person placing the debris on the trails was doing it intentionally on the trail to hurt mountain bikers and this could result in prison time for that person.

During our conversation I could see him becoming nervous and as he held onto his shitzu with his right arm his left hand brushed up against his shirt exposing and showing his pocket knife to us, his body language was really starting to give him away. He then came back with saying that he was concerned for us because of all of the blow down on the trail. He said just below the next drop there were logs. I told him that this was very interesting since we actually rode the trail yesterday and yes there was a blowdown there we were able to roll the huge log off to the side of the trail, we removed all of the other debris and there hadn't been any wind in the last 24 hours. He then continued to nervously babble on about blowdown. It seemed curious though that if he was concerned then why didn't he remove it?

At this point I felt like he understood that I knew it was him and I told him what I needed to say without accusing him or threatning him so I said enjoy your hike and we left. Sure enough just 75 feet down the trail where he told us there was blowdown was a large log placed directly across the trail under a blind drop/roll feature right where we moved the big blow down the day before. It could have really hurt someone.

We just moved the log and discussed that he was our guy, I know he heard us talking about this since he was only a hundred or so feet uphill from us. We moved on and as we rode down the rest of the trail there were many sticks, logs, and sharp rocks placed into the trail. I decided I wasn't going to let this guy go without getting some kind of ID so I waited at the bottom of the Lookout Road to see him drive by and get his license plate # and vehicle make. I made this very obvious that I was doing this when he did drive by.

Our guy,

6 foot
    210-220 lbs.
    White
    Around 50 years old
    Other- shaven head, had a shitzu dog with him

Vehicle- Mercedes GL 550 4-Matic white (suv like car?)
    Last edited by raisingarizona; 09-01-2012 at 06:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Pass that info on to Sean Murphy so he can have an LEO chat with the fellow. What he's doing is no different than JD Protiva stringing wire across moto trails. Nice work and way to keep your cool

mtbr member
    Wow

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Pass that info on to Sean Murphy so he can have an LEO chat with the fellow. What he's doing is no different than JD Protiva stringing wire across moto trails. Nice work and way to keep your cool
    Done. Thanks for the reminder RM, I meant to do that earlier but forgot until reading your post. I am going to e-mail him all of the info tonight and he said that he would pass it on to the LEO's.

mtbr member
    Wow, people are just stupid. They are willing to risk felony offense by doing something that will not deter mountain biking what-so-ever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice freaking job. You handled that very well, and not everyone would have. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Draw down next time.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Our guy,

6 foot
    210-220 lbs.
    White
    Around 50 years old
    Other- shaven head, had a shitzu dog with him

Vehicle- Mercedes GL 550 4-Matic white (suv like car?)
    License plate- ALA1628
    Anyone in Flag should be heads up for this car parked on elden. If you see his car at the bottom of a trail hike up it and try to catch him in the act with some pictures or video. At the very least be very careful riding DH trails when you see this car around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flagstaff trail saboteur discovered!-2009-mercedes-benz-gl-class-gl550-4matic-2.jpg  

Flagstaff trail saboteur discovered!-2013-mercedes-benz-gl550-4matic-front-end-motion.jpg  

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Done. Thanks for the reminder RM, I meant to do that earlier but forgot until reading your post. I am going to e-mail him all of the info tonight and he said that he would pass it on to the LEO's.
    good job RA and your friends. hopefully your handling it gets the best all around results without putting you in any danger.

mtbr member
    F u c k i n g sweet! Cool heads prevail. Hopefully this guy will see the error in his ways.

slower than you
    not "Cliff Rose" apparently (he'd never stoop to driving an SUV). he's was a bit of problem for us trail riders along the front side of Elden a few years back. FS LEOs booted him out of his cave eventually, [see: Caveman evicted by federal authorities - Tucson Citizen Morgue, Part 2 (1993-2009) ] you may recall. he's back, btw, but apparently unconcerned with what's happening on dry lake hills.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    not "Cliff Rose" apparently (he'd never stoop to driving an SUV). he's was a bit of problem for us trail riders along the front side of Elden a few years back. FS LEOs booted him out of his cave eventually, [see: Caveman evicted by federal authorities - Tucson Citizen Morgue, Part 2 (1993-2009) ] you may recall. he's back, btw, but apparently unconcerned with what's happening on dry lake hills.
    I think these strange folks dealing with anger issues would be a lot less angry if they started riding bikes.

livin' the dream......
    Nice work RA. Keeping it cool and getting good details for the LEO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    ...and what were you prepared to do if his response was: "I hope more riders get injured, not less, find him yourselves" ?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Well done.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    ...and what were you prepared to do if his response was: "I hope more riders get injured, not less, find him yourselves" ?

Not sure what you are trying to convey with that comment, Wheeler.

To Raising AZ- fantastic way of taking the high road, scaring the poo out of the guy and not starting a media fiasco that reads "MTB Rider Assaults Hiker After Accusing...". I think you got the message across without stooping to his level. Also vey sharp on getting his vehicle info and passng it on!

I am Bob
    Classy wins.

Need more cowbell
    Who takes a shih tzu on those trails? Seriously.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    ShihTzu's are known to walk upright and build suspension bridges and huts high in the trees.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

shred my gnar
    nice work, doods! crazy story and of course its much appreciated.

must admit that crap has been in the back of my mind everytime ive ridden ginger, prom night, wasabi, jedi, etc. this summer. always a little hesitation waiting for that rock or log to be in a blind transition... not a great feeling. actually... was one of the reasons ive been going full face on those trails lately.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    most people would just use the nearest bench...

A plethora of pinatas
    Hats off to the OP! Well done, sir, well done.
    Marty

pedaller
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath

most people would just use the nearest bench...

Good work OP. Let's hope he got the message.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nice job RA.
    I'll definitely be on the lookout for this asshat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    good job, will be on the lookout for this a-hole this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast